Happy NFL Everyone!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Booter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you!

I would like to request that those who want to condemn football (AMERICAN football!) as “sin” please take it to another thread. It’s obvious that the OP wanted a light-hearted, fun thread for those of us who are fans.

Thank you.

BTW, I’m pretty certain that God roots for the Chicago Bears. It’s right there in the BIble-- I Corinthians 13: 7, says, “Bears all things…”

😃
No no cat. God roots for the Broncos. He made the sky blue and the sunsets orange…
Or maybe he roots for the Saints.
 
Since this was an NFL poll, I voted Patriots but I am really a college football fan more than pro (Go Blue!). As the only girl in the house, there is a lot of football on each weekend so I may as well enjoy it. 😃

PS **We all lost sleep thanks to the Jets game last night **even though my beloved Wolverines were safely in the “W” column for the weekend.
I was at the game and my head didn’t hit the pillow until after 2:00am; happy dreams though!!! 👍

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets…
 
I was at the game and my head didn’t hit the pillow until after 2:00am; happy dreams though!!! 👍

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets…
I couldnt believe the interception. If I were a conspiracy theorist…
 
other
I hate it when the Browns don’t even make the cut
and we use the word “favorite” loosely
that is like saying what is your favorite starvation diet, or what is your favorite non-alcoholic beer
 
If you’re trying to convince me that watching football is fun, you don’t need to. As I said, I’ve been rooting for the Steelers my whole life. I haven’t decided to be done with the NFL because it isn’t fun. It is fun. I just don’t think it’s right.

Even if you or I don’t watch the Cheerleaders, although you are bound to see them at least somewhat, we are PAYING for them to be doing what they’re doing by supporting the league either by buying tickets or watching on TV. Immodesty is a huge problem across our culture. It’s not limited to the NFL, but the NFL is a part of it.

Competition, sportsmanship, empathy are all GREAT things to teach kids. Can you pick that up to some degree by watching an NFL game? Well you can FEEL competitive. However, to truly LEARN about those things, I think actually PLAYING sports yourself is far better.

Pax
While you have to do what God puts on your heart in my opinion there are a lot of other things selling a lot more sex and non-Catholic teachings you could give up rather than the NFL.

One of the things that makes the NFL different from MLB and why teams like Green Bay, which is a very small town for an NFL team, is that every teams has the same salary cap to make it fair. Ever notice some teams never win in MLB? Cause some teams have a ton more money. Heh maybe it’s a bit socialistic but if you read the Early Church Fathers many of the early Christian groups were set up this way as well, not by force but by choice because it gave everyone or team in this case, a chance for success.

Sex seems to perminate everything about todays culture, that includes the NFL but I can’t seem to see how it’s any more than anything else, IMHO it’s actually less.

Again though, if God put that on your heart, follow His lead and may He grant you the strength to continue that!

For me… SKOL Vikings! (didn’t see Minnesota on the list)

Joe
 
While you have to do what God puts on your heart in my opinion there are a lot of other things selling a lot more sex and non-Catholic teachings you could give up rather than the NFL.

One of the things that makes the NFL different from MLB and why teams like Green Bay, which is a very small town for an NFL team, is that every teams has the same salary cap to make it fair. Ever notice some teams never win in MLB? Cause some teams have a ton more money. Heh maybe it’s a bit socialistic but if you read the Early Church Fathers many of the early Christian groups were set up this way as well, not by force but by choice because it gave everyone or team in this case, a chance for success.

Sex seems to perminate everything about todays culture, that includes the NFL but I can’t seem to see how it’s any more than anything else, IMHO it’s actually less.

Again though, if God put that on your heart, follow His lead and may He grant you the strength to continue that!

For me… SKOL Vikings! (didn’t see Minnesota on the list)

Joe
Not exactly true. The payroll of each team is not even close to the same. And in the MLB the teams that go over the cap are taxed at 50 percent so if the yanks spend 200 mil over the cap, 100 mil goes to the smaller clubs. Without the yankess or sox, or any other big spending team, teams like the KC royals would cease to exist. And there are a ton of NFL teams that havent won the SB and a ton of MLB teams that will never sniff the series. The models are not very different at all. Just clever accounting is all.
 
Go TEXANs
and any team playing Jerry’s Cowgirls or Bud Adams titans.
 
Well yes it is Football season, but it is also pennant race time. I can’t stand that ESPN focuses on early season NFL games when it is pennant race and wold series time in the MLB.
Hey I need something since my Astros are about to hit 100 loses for the season.
 
I couldnt believe the interception. If I were a conspiracy theorist…
Same here. Wasn’t this a little too creepy watching Romo single-handedly handing another opener over? He did the same thing last year against Washington.
 
Go TEXANs
and any team playing Jerry’s Cowgirls or Bud Adams titans.
I agree two out of three. I still maintain some Dallas loyalty, but have a lingering reason to cheer against Bud Adams.
 
Going to Saturday evening mass for the express purpose of freeing up time on Sunday in order to watch football, would seem to be a violation of the third commandment, as sport’s are only permitted on Sunday if kept in the proper perspective. Rescheduling the sacrifice of the Mass- the primary activity of the day- in order to accomodate what should be a lower priority, would not seem to fit in with that proper perspective.
Again, this goes beyond what the Church says. One can go on Saturday for a poor reason or even no reason.
 
Again, this goes beyond what the Church says. One can go on Saturday for a poor reason or even no reason.
The sin wouldn’t be going to Mass on Saturday, it would be going as you say, for a poor reason.

Pax
 
The sin wouldn’t be going to Mass on Saturday, it would be going as you say, for a poor reason.

Pax
There is no sin, not that the Church defines as such, no more than going to an earlier Mass, a latter Mass or a middle Mass for any reason, poor or otherwise. If the Church allows an action, no Catholic has any business defining it as sin, no more can a scrupulous person can judge others by his own scrupulosity.
 
Because an action is not particularly defined as a sin, does not mean a Catholic can not reasonably determine that it is sinful.

If a parent asks their child to go mow the lawn, and the child goes and plays video games first, and gets to the lawn whenever they feel like it, the child is being disrepectful to the parent.

It’s a question of priorities. If you move Mass- the main focus of the Lord’s day- around in order to accomodate what are supposed to be far less important concerns, it is disrespectful to God. Now, a person may not understand it, and thus not be culpable, but it is still disrespectful.

The Church doesn’t teach that having an earbud in during Mass, in order to listen to the game during the homily is sinful, that doesn’t mean it isn’t.

I can’t judge a person’s heart or motivations. But if someone is placing sports (NFL or anything else) ahead of Mass on their priority list for Sunday, that would be a sinful action.

Pax.
 
Because an action is not particularly defined as a sin, does not mean a Catholic can not reasonably determine that it is sinful.

If a parent asks their child to go mow the lawn, and the child goes and plays video games first, and gets to the lawn whenever they feel like it, the child is being disrepectful to the parent.

It’s a question of priorities. If you move Mass- the main focus of the Lord’s day- around in order to accomodate what are supposed to be far less important concerns, it is disrespectful to God. Now, a person may not understand it, and thus not be culpable, but it is still disrespectful.

The Church doesn’t teach that having an earbud in during Mass, in order to listen to the game during the homily is sinful, that doesn’t mean it isn’t.

I can’t judge a person’s heart or motivations. But if someone is placing sports (NFL or anything else) ahead of Mass on their priority list for Sunday, that would be a sinful action.

Pax.
You can determine what is sin for YOU. If attending a Vigil Mass because you want to join your family and friends and enjoy a football game and party at noon on Sunday is a sin for you, then you must deal with that as a sin in your life.

But you cannot judge what is sin for others, when, as pnewton has pointed out, the Church has NOT specified the action as sin.

Again, I think it would be nice if you want to discuss the possibilities of sinning for the sake of sports, to please start another thread rather than continuing to derail this one. Do you not consider rudeness a sin? Isn’t it rude to continue to take the OPs thread off the light-hearted, fun topic that he/she started?
 
If a parent asks their child to go mow the lawn, and the child goes and plays video games first, and gets to the lawn whenever they feel like it, the child is being disrepectful to the parent.

Pax.
It would not be disrespectful if the parent asked their child to mow the lawn on either Saturday at 4:30 or Sunday at 8:00, 9:30 or 11:00 and the child chose any of those times to do it.
 
It would not be disrespectful if the parent asked their child to mow the lawn on either Saturday at 4:30 or Sunday at 8:00, 9:30 or 11:00 and the child chose any of those times to do it.
👍👍👍
plus with the wonderful invention of DVR I can watch anytime I want. Record, go to Mass, Come home, watch. Not only that, but I can pass right over those bad comercials and cheerlearders that some weak men let be an occasion of sin;)

We help run the youth program at our Parish, so we go to Sunday evening Mass. Rarely do I even care about whatever game is on but if I do… I Just record it.
Objections to NFL on Sundays are silly and easily taken care of.

PS

Tim Tebow starts by week 6. Too bad they cant just start him now like everyone wants and we have to go 0-6 before he gets a shot.
 
It’s a question of priorities. If you move Mass- the main focus of the Lord’s day- around in order to accomodate what are supposed to be far less important concerns, it is disrespectful to God. Now, a person may not understand it, and thus not be culpable, but it is still disrespectful.
Worrying about a sin that is not a sin is a sign of scrupulosity. Go only as far as the Church does in defining sin, no further. As long as one attends Mass, whatever else one does is not “put ahead”.
 
Tim Tebow starts by week 6. Too bad they cant just start him now like everyone wants and we have to go 0-6 before he gets a shot.
After last night, I am inclined to agree. I have never seen a team try so hard to lose as Oakland did.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top