Harry Potter?!?

  • Thread starter Thread starter duckworth
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quoted from post #12 above:
“Father Gabriele Amorth is indeed the exorcist, the most senior and respected member of his calling. A priest for 50 years, he is the undisputed leader of the city’s six exorcists…”

What the h**l’s going on over there?!?! What sort of Mickey Mouse adminstration has allowed the diocese of Rome collapse to the point that they think they need six exorcists to handle their problem? Brother Benny better get his act together.

Matthew
 
Quoted from post #12 above:
“Father Gabriele Amorth is indeed the exorcist, the most senior and respected member of his calling. A priest for 50 years, he is the undisputed leader of the city’s six exorcists…”

What the h**l’s going on over there?!?! What sort of Mickey Mouse adminstration has allowed the diocese of Rome collapse to the point that they think they need six exorcists to handle their problem? Brother Benny better get his act together.

Matthew
I suppose Jesus was wrong when He cast demons out? The modern world likes to think demons no longer exist, that could not be more wrong.
 
Yikes, I can’t believe people waste so much time debating over fiction. This is why so many kids and teens are out there bathing in the world’s true evils and falling away from God with their parents none the wiser until its too late…the parents are too busy debating “evil” books online to pay any attention.

I just finished the 6th HP book and I think they are great books. Anyone who has a problem with them(this includes my boyfriend actually) needs to remove the high and mighty stick from their bum and try looking around at the actual evils of reality instead of looking for it where there is none.
 
Yikes, I can’t believe people waste so much time debating over fiction. This is why so many kids and teens are out there bathing in the world’s true evils and falling away from God with their parents none the wiser until its too late…the parents are too busy debating “evil” books online to pay any attention.

I just finished the 6th HP book and I think they are great books. Anyone who has a problem with them(this includes my boyfriend actually) needs to remove the high and mighty stick from their bum and try looking around at the actual evils of reality instead of looking for it where there is none.
Hmmm, seems appropriate to say “back atcha.”
 
Yikes, I can’t believe people waste so much time debating over fiction. This is why so many kids and teens are out there bathing in the world’s true evils and falling away from God with their parents none the wiser until its too late…the parents are too busy debating “evil” books online to pay any attention.
Maybe fiction that has tendency to blur reality is part of that reason?

Anyway you have any statics on parents that know what their children are watching and reading (ya know most of that is fiction too) and exercise control over it whos kids are “bathing in the world’s true evils?”

If thats your attitude toward child supervision I hope you and your boyfriend aren’t planing on getting married.
I just finished the 6th HP book and I think they are great books. Anyone who has a problem with them(this includes my boyfriend actually) needs to remove the high and mighty stick from their bum and try looking around at the actual evils of reality instead of looking for it where there is none.
They are great books! That’s part of the problem, they are very fascinating and completely draw you in… to present day London full of witches and wizards. (I wonder why she doesn’t use the common term for a male witch of warlock.) For some reason there are a lot of people that defend these works of fiction to extremes. Which admittedly I find it very interesting.

No one is being high and mighty. (Again interesting comment would you say the same thing if I told you I didn’t let my kids watch Teletubbies or Postcards from Buster? Its fiction. Or what if I said I won’t read The Da vinci Code, its fiction and form what I understand a great read.) its about parents not choosing to let there kids read that particular series of works and why.
 
I find it interesting that the Chief Exorcist of Rome says this about Halloween :

"… if English and American children like to dress up as witches and devils on one night of the year that is not a problem. If it is just a game, there is no harm in that.’’
 
I suppose Jesus was wrong when He cast demons out? The modern world likes to think demons no longer exist, that could not be more wrong.
I’m just wondering why they think they need six exorcists. Seems an awfully large number for the diocese that is supposed to be the center of Catholicism. How many exorcists does your diocese have?

Matthew
 
I’m just wondering why they think they need six exorcists. Seems an awfully large number for the diocese that is supposed to be the center of Catholicism. How many exorcists does your diocese have?

Matthew
Well I know for a fact what my diocese does is a rather poor reflection on Catholicism. Maybe a better question is how many should your diocese have?
 
I’m just wondering why they think they need six exorcists. Seems an awfully large number for the diocese that is supposed to be the center of Catholicism. How many exorcists does your diocese have?

Matthew
I know my diocese has an exorcist, yet I do not know how many. Rome is the epicenter of Christianity and is the See’ for our Holy Father, frankly I am surprised there are ONLY six exorcists there…they place has to be under constant attack.
 
Tom… for one thing, I do find estesbob a “serious” person. He and I have had the rounds. I am fortunate that I have read this thread and realize he has such a “wicked” sense of humor. 😃 Love ya Bob…mean it! 😃

Neither one of my kids have read HP. The books came out just as they were leaving high school. Seemed like “kid stuff” to them. We have seen all the movies though when they came out on TV. No big deal. Didn’t see what the fuss was about and still don’t. The evangelical and fundamentalist churches…and of course…YOU…seem to be having a rough time with it. I read a lot of Poe when I was a teen…I also liked Steven King. My favorite movie back in the day was Carrie and Christine. On the edge of my seat. But I knew…it was FICTION. I have read the DaVinci code and I know it is FICTION. Just like I knew when I read Sleeping Beauty as a kid, that there was no such thing as a magic mirror and mean women don’t turn into dragons. I also know that watching Leave it Beaver wasn’t real, as my mother never wore a dress, high heels and pearls everyday.

As for the exorcists…I don’t dwell on how much evil is running around. Evil is vain…it wants to be on the minds of people 24/7. I don’t give evil the time of day. To teach as Jesus did we must make sure “good” is at the forefront…keeping evil behind. Hmmm…I read that somewhere…😉

As for the porn analogy…geez louise…way off there aren’t ya Tom. Porn…IMHO is an affront to women…it cheapens and degrades what is it to be a woman. I also know that porn is a big lie when it comes to relationships between men and a women.

You, as a parent have chosen not to allow your kids exposure to HP or anything you and your wife deem as may be destructive to your children. Great and admirable. But remember, they will leave your fishbowl someday and swin in the big pond with all the sharks and eels…I hope they can handle it.
 
For me again I still find it interesting that he thinks that there is nothing wrong with Halloween and dressing up as a witch or devil and saying " If its just a game there is no harm in it"

How is this different than reading Harry Potter, or kids pretending to play witches etc, since if its just a game there is no harm in it…
 
For me again I still find it interesting that he thinks that there is nothing wrong with Halloween and dressing up as a witch or devil and saying " If its just a game there is no harm in it"

How is this different than reading Harry Potter, or kids pretending to play witches etc, since if its just a game there is no harm in it…
I have read Harry Potter as has my wife and children. I find fiction to be enjoyable. There are so many books with the forces of light and darkness in the cosmic struggle. It’s fiction as is mice and men, and thousands of other books.
Aren’t there enough problems for kids today? I am simply happy that my children are reading. Good Heavens, the Bible has all the problems of humanity. Should we ban our kids from reading it too?:confused:
 
Tom… for one thing, I do find estesbob a “serious” person. He and I have had the rounds. I am fortunate that I have read this thread and realize he has such a “wicked” sense of humor. 😃 Love ya Bob…mean it! 😃

Neither one of my kids have read HP. The books came out just as they were leaving high school. Seemed like “kid stuff” to them. We have seen all the movies though when they came out on TV. No big deal. Didn’t see what the fuss was about and still don’t. The evangelical and fundamentalist churches…and of course…YOU…seem to be having a rough time with it. I read a lot of Poe when I was a teen…I also liked Steven King. My favorite movie back in the day was Carrie and Christine. On the edge of my seat. But I knew…it was FICTION. I have read the DaVinci code and I know it is FICTION. Just like I knew when I read Sleeping Beauty as a kid, that there was no such thing as a magic mirror and mean women don’t turn into dragons. I also know that watching Leave it Beaver wasn’t real, as my mother never wore a dress, high heels and pearls everyday.

As for the exorcists…I don’t dwell on how much evil is running around. Evil is vain…it wants to be on the minds of people 24/7. I don’t give evil the time of day. To teach as Jesus did we must make sure “good” is at the forefront…keeping evil behind. Hmmm…I read that somewhere…😉

As for the porn analogy…geez louise…way off there aren’t ya Tom. Porn…IMHO is an affront to women…it cheapens and degrades what is it to be a woman. I also know that porn is a big lie when it comes to relationships between men and a women.

You, as a parent have chosen not to allow your kids exposure to HP or anything you and your wife deem as may be destructive to your children. Great and admirable. But remember, they will leave your fishbowl someday and swin in the big pond with all the sharks and eels…I hope they can handle it.
I was NOT comparing porn to HP, I was merely trying to show that one does not have to read the books to know what is in them (just as one does not have to see porn to know what it is).

The entire argument that one must read HP to have an opinion is ridiculous and people who claim that would never apply that to themselves for a thousand other things (they just say that with HP to try to marginalize dissenters). Reading trusted reviews and in-depth analysis of any work is quite sufficient. I have read hundreds of pages of reviews, articles and analysis on HP, from pro and con sources, and I have NO doubt that I know enough to stay away from the books. Similarily, I never read “The Da Vinci Code,” yet I have read many articles, reviews and analysis of that book and it is quite easy to see it is trash.

As for Bob, I agree he is serious, I have had plenty of conversations with him. I was asking him to be serious in this thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top