Harry Potter?!?

  • Thread starter Thread starter duckworth
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
No you didn’t, none of the reasons you sited about how Narnia is bad is even remotely relevent to the reasons I cited I didn’t like Harry Potter.
In your opinion-I think they were right on point to the selective way people condemn the Potter books
 
Harry Potter: initials are H.P., as in “Hewlett-Packard”. The whole book series is one big advertisement to get you to buy computers. Check out how much H.P. stock has arise since the first volume came out!😃
I fully admit that everytime I see the HP ad on yahoo.com, I always think they’re advertising something about the latest book release. You’d think I’d have figured out the ad by now!
 
Despite not answering the original question…

estesbob, I think you have a Sirius problem.
In the Chamber of Secrets Harry lies and almost gets eaten by a 30 foot Basalik becuase of it. In the Sorcerers Stone he is caught breaking the rules and almost gets eaten as a Werewolf becuase of it. In Order of Phoenix he smarts off to teacher, gets tossed off the Quiddich team and his detention results in the Back of His hand having “I will not tell lies” carved into it over and over and over again.
I just read Sorcerer’s Stone. This did not happen in Sorcerer’s Stone.
Another puzzling fact.

Wicca has grown at incredible rates (espeically among teens) during the time HP books and movies have washed across the globe. Curious coincidence? Perhaps.
Yes. I once read an article that Wiccan books are prominately placed nexed to the HP books in bookstores. I do not know if that is true or not (it was a religious article decrying the books, not very neutral), BUT, this is hardly HP/Rowling’s fault. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Also, Tom317, in an earlier post, you asked why does it bother me that YOU do not like HP, and I will tell you, because, I cannot stand ignorance. It is just that simple.

Somebody else posted that Rowling does not go on about the true meaning of Christmas & Easter, BUT, she does not go on about any religion, she really doesn’t advocate any, BUT…the school breaks in the boarding school, Hogwarts, happen, specifically, at Christmas & Easter…the children are let off of school for these holidays. NOTE that they retain the names Christmas & Easter, NOT, Winter Solstice & Vernal Equinox or whatever pagan OR fictional name she could assign to it. It is a very Christian setting.

AND, speaking about Christmas, Ron, Harry’s friend, says that we here in the non-magical world do not have real gnomes. He has seen those; they look like, ‘fat little Santa Clauses with fishing rods,’ (not sure of EXACT quote). How queer that he would know of Santa Clause when he did not know of soccer (or, football, I am sure it says in every version BUT the US one).

Speaking of Ron, he comes from a family of 6 brothers and sisters, and two parent’s, still married. There is a blond only child who isn’t loved nearly as much as Ron (who is the second to last, right before his only sister), despite he having all the attention of his parents and the tutelage of his Aunt.

Also, I am re-reading the books for the new book (23 days!) & movie (THIRTEEN DAYS!!!) and, I noticed something right off the bat, Harry’s Uncle, Mr. Dursley, is very against what he cannot see/proove. He does not like the witches or the way they dress or the way they behave (though they are nothing but friendly or indifferent to him). Harry, on the other hand, has a Godfather, Rowling has said in an interview (I know I have posted this before), “It was probably a very quick christening,” because of all that was going on, and in a new interview, Gary Oldman, the man who plays Harry’s Godfather in the movie says that he has children & choosing a God-parent, “is not something you do lightly.” It seems to me that Harry WOULD have been brought up as a Christian HAD his parents survived. His Uncle whom he now lives with does not seem the type to tolerate religion. BUT, again, we don’t know how the 7th book will end. There is a wedding (alledgedly) in it, we’ll see what the ceremony is like.

AND, how do we even know that magic is magic and not an allegory for something else?

…And now I see you are leaving the thread. 😦 …

…Of course, if one IS going to complain about HP books, I would hope that they complain about all the main fat characters are bad/evil, though all the children commit gluttony… I don’t like that all the fat people are bad…
 
Despite not answering the original question…

estesbob, I think you have a Sirius problem.

I just read Sorcerer’s Stone. This did not happen in Sorcerer’s Stone.

.
Sorry about that-he was attacked by Quirel/Valdermort(how brave of me to say his name)

I do have a Sirius problem-I often turn into a black dog when Werewolves are around…
 
Interesting books, an unusual way to discuss bigotry and racism.

I can’t wait to find out if my suspicions about Snape, Dumbledore and Lily Evans are correct. I will just have to wait and see.
 
Some battles are not worth fighting. Drugs, porn, internet sites, alcohol, following the Sacraments, the Commandments…these are battles worth waging with my kids…not Harry Potter, an inconsequential book series that won’t amount to a hill of beans in 5 years. Just my 2 cents. I think that when we as parents make such large deals about small things like this–it can actually cause MORE intrigue from our kids. I think these movies are harmless…my kids have read the books, seen the movies…and they have not thought a second about witchcraft or the occult…they know it’s fiction. I’m more worried about them having premarital sex during their teen years, or falling in with the wrong crowd, than becoming little wizards.🤷
 
Ok a quick question. What do you think about teens reading Harry Potter? I have read them up to now, but heard that they have been banned by the Vatican 😦 I personally think that there is nothing wrong with reading them. I understand that the contain a large amount of magic, but I believe that I am close enough to God, and know enough about my faith to understand that this is all just fantasy and not real. Also, why is this book banned and others that use the same amount of magic and are just as popular to teens such as the book Eragon not banned?

-Duckworth
Nah its perfectly alright for teens to read

Podo
 
Wicca has grown at incredible rates (espeically among teens) during the time HP books and movies have washed across the globe. Curious coincidence? Perhaps.
Perhaps. Perhaps this coincidence is the reason people are concerned about Harry Potter. I remember reading tons of books and watching tons of movies where kids or teens practiced witchcraft and they were harmless - just fun and obviously fiction. They never caused this kind of commotion.

I don’t see how Harry Potter is different from those. But nowadays there are actually people taking witchcraft seriously and practicing it as a religion. This was unimaginable only a decade ago among most people, so no one would have been concerned about the effect of HP on kids back then.
 
Supernatural powers are just an entertaining part of much in fiction - whether they are by origin alien (E.T., Superman…), pseudo-scientific (Batman…) or magical (HP, fairy tales and much, much more) is of secondary interest.

If any kid wants to practice witchcraft b/c they read HP, just tell them: “Fine, but only if you’ve got the gift for it. You’ll know you do if you get a letter of invitation from Hogwarts via an owl.”
 
Interesting books, an unusual way to discuss bigotry and racism.

I can’t wait to find out if my suspicions about Snape, Dumbledore and Lily Evans are correct. I will just have to wait and see.
Snape will end up a good guy and Lily and Dumbeldore will stay dead
 
Snape will end up a good guy and Lily and Dumbeldore will stay dead
I am up in the air about Snape but leaning towards him being good. I think Malfory is some how going to redeem himself and help Harry. Harry’s parents will stay dead
 
I am up in the air about Snape but leaning towards him being good. I think Malfory is some how going to redeem himself and help Harry. Harry’s parents will stay dead
My books is supposed to arrive on Saturday the 21 but I wont get it until Monday.I hope my daughter doesnt spoil it by telling me who dies in the end. i suspect she will have finishend by the morning of July 22.
 
My books is supposed to arrive on Saturday the 21 but I wont get it until Monday.I hope my daughter doesnt spoil it by telling me who dies in the end. i suspect she will have finishend by the morning of July 22.
Well if she is a good daughter than she won’t.
 
The more I read the books, the more I note swearing (more as the books go on, alluded to on earlier), and taking the Lord’s name in vain, ALTHOUGH, Harry DOES pray, and the name of God is also shown with reverance.

Snape is good? Really? Did you assess that before or after he killed Dumbledore? Are we going to rationalise it as a mercy killing? I cannot pretend that that is in any way Catholic.

No, Snape is a Slytherin. He may not be good nor bad, but, just Slytherin. He wants the glory for himself. He may not want the Order to win, but, he sure as explitive deleted doesn’t want Voldemort to win. Shame, too. He was such a good Conservative…you know, until he murdered Dumbledore…hopefully he will not set up any horocrux(es) for himself.

I am also noticing, VERY prominently, the overt prominence of free will.

It has just been posted on mugglenet.com that Rowling has said some people will absolutely loathe this last book.

The first thing I am going to do when I get it is open it to the last few pages and make sure Snape dies. If he is not mentioned, I am going to skim the pages until I find out how he dies. Then I’ll read it.

A LITTLE OVER 7 DAYS!!! 😃

(The swearing kind of bothers me and taking the Lord’s name in vain really does, but, I am not familiar with fiction for this age group. Are these literary devices common?)
 
On a different note (it should perhaps be relegate to its own thread), the new movie is wonderful! 👍
 
thanks andy–we voted on a few movies, and HP won out…is it the best would you say, out of them all?
 
Easily the best of the movies, whatevergirl.

The order of quality as far as the movies are concerned IMO is this:

Order of the Phoenix >>>>>>>>>> Sorcerer’s Stone > Chamber of Secrets > Prisoner of Azkaban > Goblet of Fire

book-wise:

Goblet of Fire > Sorcerer’s Stone > Order of the Phoenix > Chamber of Secrets > Prisoner of Azkaban > Half-Blood Prince

Also, I should add that I have seen many movies this summer, and that HP outclasses them all combined IMO.

Any fan of the series should come away deeply impressed 👍
 
Snape is good? Really? Did you assess that before or after he killed Dumbledore? Are we going to rationalise it as a mercy killing? I cannot pretend that that is in any way Catholic.

No, Snape is a Slytherin. He may not be good nor bad, but, just Slytherin. He wants the glory for himself.
The word is still out on Snape; we won’t know what his real role is until book seven, when hopefully all things are resolved (and hopefully it won’t make fans go, “Huh?!”). I see Snape as somewhat of a double agent–secretly working for Dumbledore from the very start, while infiltrating the Slytherin. As I’ve said though, it’s just an opinion, and we won’t know until the last book.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top