Have we forgotten fatima?

• Thread starter Thread starter SueG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SueG

I’ve just recently been re-reading the stories of Fatima…has the Third Secret ever been officially revealed?

I wish the priests would teach the people what the visions revealed: that we must pray the rosary daily, attend First Saturdays, go to confession often, and do penance.
I wish they would teach our children this.

I’m 42 years old, and attended a Catholic school thru 12th grade, and I’m just now re-teaching myself all that I had forgotten. Thankfully, my children are young enough to benefit from my “re-awakening”, as I share everything I’m learning with them.

I intend to talk to my pastor, but has any of you forged this path already?

The Third Secret has been revealed. You can read it at the Vatican’s official website.

The consecration of the world (with special mention of Russia) to the Immaculate Heart of Mary was carried out in 1984 - and according to Sr. Lucia in a handful of letters on the topic - was indeed successful.

Do not be taken in by those who would tell you differently and who would attack the pope.
Do not accept The Fatima Crusader as an authoritative source of information - it is not.
Do not thing Fatima.org is a reliable source of info…it is not.

Fr. Gruner is behind these attacks on our Holy Father. He is wrong, he has been disobedient, and he has been suspended.

But yes…the devotion of the 5 first saturdays is not being taught to the faithful.

I wish Catholic religion classes taught anything of value. :confused: Forgive me if others have had different experiences, but I spent seven years in Catholic religion classes that kept repeating that Jesus loves each and every one of us. While this is true, and God’s love for us is both a reality and a fundamental teaching in Christian theology, the teachings of the Church are much deeper than that.

I empathize with you, SueG. Only recently did I download a rather lengthy document from ewtn.com on Fatima, and only then did I find out what all the fuss was about. My school, which has a small scene depicting Our Lady of Fatima in front of the three children, never informed its students of anything that was revealed there.

Just like I was never taught about Fatima, I also learned very little from the Catechism, studied two saints in seven years, and did not even know the ante-Nicean Fathers existed until last year.

My mother teaches summer school of religion for the public school students at my parish. When they were going over lesson plans with the administration, the layman in charge of the circus advised my mom to stay away from the topic of sin and stick to how much Jesus loves all of us. No offense to this particular layman, but Catholic schools can keep saying that until they are blue in the face, but something as deep as God’s love cannot be understood unless one understands the Cross, and the Cross cannot be understood until one understands sin. The only evidence of love is sacrifice, and Jesus made the greatest sacrifice for our iniquities.

I leave my high school this year disappointed that my classmates will walk away not knowing anything about their faiths. And when they finally do begin to care about Christ in the future, they won’t know where to look: the Catechism was rarely ever pulled off the shelf (except by one sterling Libyan deacon).

In addition to Fatima I would love to see the Fathers, the Bible, Church history, the saints, basic theology, philosophy, the Catechism and many other things taught in religion classes. I found my religion classes lacking much. And since Fatima’s message was so urgent, our schools’ responses should be equally as urgent. Let’s always keep our educators in our prayers so that they may teach the beauty of our faith.

Lorarose-I checked out the vatican website, but I’m not easily able to track down this particular liturgical change…can you help? When was this change instituted? Thanks.

Sanosuke-Amen! I remember fondly my 5th grade teacher…a nun…God Bless Her! 🙂 She taught us about the Shroud of Turin, Fatima, Bernadette, etc. as well as a real love for the Blessed Mother. We understood the agony that Jesus experienced during the Passion; she didn’t “sugar-coat” anything. :eek: She and my mother were the main teachers of my faith. We made rosaries for the missions together. After that, I too was taught that Jesus was my “friend”, my “buddy”. No wonder the world is in such a state. No reverance, no fear of God. :tsktsk:

Any priests on-line out there? We need fire and brimstone! Adoration and Penance! What constitutes a mortal sin? Do we still wear brown scapulars? Why aren’t *all * priests speaking out daily against abortion? We have so many questions and have to turn to chat rooms for answers!? Help! We crave moral leadership, not “political correctness”. Patience and gentleness is great when talking about human relationships, but let’s not allow the evil one to take over our world and destroy the Catholic church without a fight! :mad:

Sorry I’m so impassioned here, but drastic times call for …well, you know the rest. God Bless all of you. 👍

40.png
Lorarose:
The Third Secret has been revealed. You can read it at the Vatican’s official website.
Really? I searched, and got this:
vatican.mondosearch.com/cgi-bin/MsmFind.exe?CFGNAME=MssFind.cfg&QUERY=fatima&EN=X&NO_DL=X&x=41&y=11
40.png
Lorarose:
The consecration of the world (with special mention of Russia) to the Immaculate Heart of Mary was carried out in 1984 - and according to Sr. Lucia in a handful of letters on the topic - was indeed successful.
Our Lady requested that the Pope consecrate Russia to her Immaculate Heart. In 1942, Pius XII consecrated the world, with all the bishops. That wasn’t enough. In 1952, he consecrated Russia, without all the bishops. John Paul II is aware of both these events. However, in 1984 he consecrated the world, without all the bishops, and he claims that he has fulfilled Our Lady’s request.

See question #8:
catholicintl.com/epologetics/LegateChallenge.asp

We must be careful to remember that Fatima is only private revelation not Public Revelation. It is worthy of belief nothing more. Belief in it has no bearing on Salvation.

However, in 1984 he consecrated the world, without all the bishops, and he claims that he has fulfilled Our Lady’s request.
Wrong, Hananiah.

Sister Lucia says Russia was indeed consecrated, in union with all the world’s bishops. She recently reaffirmed this in an interview.

So, who are we to believe?

The Holy Father, John Paul II, the Pope of Rome; and the Fatima Seer herself?

Or some quasi-schismatic who believes the sun revolves around the earth?

40.png
Sanosuke:
I wish Catholic religion classes taught anything of value. :confused: Forgive me if others have had different experiences, but I spent seven years in Catholic religion classes that kept repeating that Jesus loves each and every one of us. While this is true, and God’s love for us is both a reality and a fundamental teaching in Christian theology, the teachings of the Church are much deeper than that.

I empathize with you, SueG. Only recently did I download a rather lengthy document from ewtn.com on Fatima, and only then did I find out what all the fuss was about. My school, which has a small scene depicting Our Lady of Fatima in front of the three children, never informed its students of anything that was revealed there.

Just like I was never taught about Fatima, I also learned very little from the Catechism, studied two saints in seven years, and did not even know the ante-Nicean Fathers existed until last year.

My mother teaches summer school of religion for the public school students at my parish. When they were going over lesson plans with the administration, the layman in charge of the circus advised my mom to stay away from the topic of sin and stick to how much Jesus loves all of us. No offense to this particular layman, but Catholic schools can keep saying that until they are blue in the face, but something as deep as God’s love cannot be understood unless one understands the Cross, and the Cross cannot be understood until one understands sin. The only evidence of love is sacrifice, and Jesus made the greatest sacrifice for our iniquities.

I leave my high school this year disappointed that my classmates will walk away not knowing anything about their faiths. And when they finally do begin to care about Christ in the future, they won’t know where to look: the Catechism was rarely ever pulled off the shelf (except by one sterling Libyan deacon).

In addition to Fatima I would love to see the Fathers, the Bible, Church history, the saints, basic theology, philosophy, the Catechism and many other things taught in religion classes. I found my religion classes lacking much. And since Fatima’s message was so urgent, our schools’ responses should be equally as urgent. Let’s always keep our educators in our prayers so that they may teach the beauty of our faith.
I feel your pain, and pass my thanks on to your mother as it is hard to do what she does. We did a fundraiser to buy Catechisms for the School. We need to start doing more if we are going to spread the truth. Christ did not say all you Priests do the teaching all you lay people do the learning. We must be the teachers of the faith, under the authority of the Priest and through him the Church. Sometimes it is nice to goto the Priest and say we would like to raise money to get the Catechism in the schools would that be ok?

God Bless you and again special thanks to your mother. All of us should be teachers.

For those that say, “Fatima is completed”: I have seen no direct statement from any pope since Pius XI stating that he has made a Consecration of Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary in accordance with the multiple requests of the Virgin Mary and one by our Lord to Sr. Lucia.

Neither the Pius XII nor the John Paul II consecrations mention Russia. Those who state that there was a “special mention of Russia” evidently have not read the actual wording.

The promises made by our Lord and His Blessed Mother have not taken place. The first mention of her request was during the apparition on July 13, 1917: “…I shall come to ask for the consecration of Russia to my Immaculate Heart and the Communion of Reparation on the First Saturdays. If my requests are heeded, Russia will be converted and there will be peace; if not, she will spread her errors throughout the world, causing wars and persecution of the Church. The good will be martyred, the Holy Father will have much to suffer, various nations will be annihilated…”

In 1931 our Lord communicated with Sr. Lucia: “They did not want to heed My request. Like the ing of France they will repent and do so, but it will be late. Russia will already have spread her errors throughout the world, causing wars and persecutions of the Church. The Holy Father will have much to suffer…”

Later Sr. Lucia asked our Lord why He would not convert Russia without the Holy Father making that consecration. He answered: “…because I want My whole Church to acknowledge that consecration as a triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, so that it may extend its cult later on, and put the devotion to This Immaculate Heart beside the devotion to My Sacred Heart…”

“…The Holy Father. Pray very much for the Holy Father. He will do it, but it will be late!”

“…Nevertheless the Immaculate Heart of Mary will save Russia. It has been entrusted to her…”

For a well-documented history of the Fatima story I suggest the three volume work, “The Whole truth About Fatima” by Frere Michel de la Sainte Trinite, orinally published in France in 1983; translated and available in English by John Collorafi, copyrighted in 1989 and available through “Immaculate Heart Publications”, Buffalo, New York.

There was a thread or posting, which I cannot find now, about the desecrations of the Fatima Shrine by sharing it with pagan and other perpetrators of idolatry. This, of course, is done in the name of “ecumenism” and “the spirit of Vatican II.” I would like to refer all readers to the study of an encyclical issued by Pope Pius XI on January 6, 1928 concerning ecumenism.

papalencyclicals.net/Pius11/P11MORTA.HTM

Sister Lucia, the Fatima Seer, speaks:
Then this same Supreme Pontiff, John Paul II wrote to all the bishops of the world asking them to unite with him. He sent for the statute of Our Lady of Fátima – the one from the little Chapel to be taken to Rome and on March 25, 1984 - publicly - with the bishops who wanted to unite with His Holiness, made the Consecration as Our Lady requested. They then asked me if it was made as Our Lady requested, and I said, “YES.” Now it was made.
and:
I come to answer your question, “If the consecration made by Pope John Paul II on March 25, 1984 in union with all the bishops of the world, accomplished the conditions for the consecration of Russia according to the request of Our Lady in Tuy on June 13 of 1929?” Yes, it was accomplished, and since then I have said that it was made.
And yet again:
“What have you to say about the stubborn assertions of Fr Gruner, who has been collecting signatures, asking the Pope to consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary at last, as if this has never been done?”.
Sr Lucia replies: "The Carmelite community has rejected the forms for the collection of signatures. I have already said that the consecration desired by Our Lady was made in 1984, and has been accepted in Heaven".

Quasimodo
I would respectfully disagree with you. Without belief in this apparition, I would not have turned my life around, saying the daily Rosary, teaching my children their faith, etc. Life would have continued as usual, giving my one hour to God each Sunday, mentally compiling my grocery list during the sermons, watching cartoons with the kids and considering that “quality time”. The Blessed Virgin will always lead us to Jesus. And, if I’m not mistaken, the visions at Fatima have been recognized by the Church/papacy as REAL. Even atheists witnessed the sun “dancing” over Fatima back then.

srkbdk -
Great idea…every Catholic family needs a catechism book. One little bit of insight though: my saintly mom bought me one and I tried to read it, really I did, but I have a simple mind and many of the words went over my head, so I had to abandon trying to read it without some type of translation. I’ve recently ordered Fr.John Corapi’s video tapes where he speaks plainly and explains the catechism. I am so excited about getting it. For anyone out there that has not heard him speak yet, you really need to. He is such a fantastic speaker, and explains everything in black and white.

Lorarose-
thank you for the website info. I feel that our current pope would have moved heaven and earth to fulfill Our Lady’s wishes. I also understand, although I cannot currently find it documented anywhere, that Mr. Gorbachov (sp?) converted to Catholicism, not Roman Catholic, but another form of Catholicism.

The thing is, no one is required to have a devotion to private revelations (such as Fatima). If it helps your spiritual life, it has been approved (not all alleged private revelations have been), and it is good to maintain that devotion. Not having a devotion to Fatima (or any other approved apparition) isn’t saying that there’s anything wrong with those who do so (though there have been many, and I understand how it’s hard to acknowledge that the devotion which most helps one isn’t necessarily the devotion that helps all).

For me, it is the rosary (and St. Louis de Montfort’s writings), but I’ve never developed much devotion to apparitions such as Fatima, Lourdes, etc. Since my parish is Sacred Heart with a traditionally Polish ethnicity, the ones that I hear promoted most are consecration to the Sacred Heart & Divine Mercy.

Dear Adam, (and all looking for a good book about Fatima)

The best book I have ever read regarding Fatima and what it means is by Sister Lucy herself. It is called “‘Calls’ From the Message of Fatima.” It might be hard to find but the English translation is distributed by The Ravengate Press, Box 49, Still River MA 01467. I hate to recommend Amazon.com but i suppose you could find it there or at other big book-selling websites…maybe even at a Catholic site somewhere. The ISBN is 972-8524-23-4.

Sincerely yours in our Lord,
Br. Dan

Adam,
My favourite book on Fatima is ‘Fatima the great sign’ by Francis Johnston. Clear and very readable, available from Tan books.
God bless

40.png
Lorarose:

Do not be taken in by those who would tell you differently and who would attack the pope.
Do not accept The Fatima Crusader as an authoritative source of information - it is not.
Do not thing Fatima.org is a reliable source of info…it is not.

Fr. Gruner is behind these attacks on our Holy Father. He is wrong, he has been disobedient, and he has been suspended.

But yes…the devotion of the 5 first saturdays is not being taught to the faithful.

Lorarose-
How can we be sure that our Bishops carried out their part of the conseration, publically in their cathedrals, as the pope requested. Can this ever be proven ? If not, then it was not fullfilled.
I can’t picture my Bishop doing it. What would the archdiocese say if one where to ask ? I think I will give it a try.

40.png
Melissa:
The thing is, no one is required to have a devotion to private revelations (such as Fatima). If it helps your spiritual life, it has been approved (not all alleged private revelations have been), and it is good to maintain that devotion. Not having a devotion to Fatima (or any other approved apparition) isn’t saying that there’s anything wrong with those who do so (though there have been many, and I understand how it’s hard to acknowledge that the devotion which most helps one isn’t necessarily the devotion that helps all).

For me, it is the rosary (and St. Louis de Montfort’s writings), but I’ve never developed much devotion to apparitions such as Fatima, Lourdes, etc. Since my parish is Sacred Heart with a traditionally Polish ethnicity, the ones that I hear promoted most are consecration to the Sacred Heart & Divine Mercy.
A good point that needs to be hammered home. This debunks the whole Catholics-worship-Mary saw. If we did worship Mary, the rosary and belief in apparitions would be mandatory, wouldn’t they? 🙂 As it is, there is not so much a venial sin for not doing the rosary or believing in the apparitions. So this whole conspiracy theory about secrets and nuns hidden away is a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back