Have you ever attended a "supportive" community oriented CATHOLIC church?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bonvivantHermit
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bonvivantHermit

Guest
I’d have to say no. Every church I have attended have provided me with the Sacraments
(thank God) and that sustains me. Heck that’s all there is really, but I have never found a church that is in any way friendly. Priests either hide from parishoners, straight off altar no greetings or spent time with the wealthy. Parishoners kept to themselves ( at best) or went out of their way to be rude.

I do note they did have food drives, mission contributions etc. but nothing like fellowship.
My experience is based on attending Novus Ordo and Tridentine- in Midwest and NE.

Is this your experience? I did join organizations, but they were mainly fiefdoms for the egotistical.
 
Really? What’s your experience? I 'd love some guides. And , if you don’t mind, a link to parish site? Would be useful reviewing parishes.

Here’s a an example of what I found: I joined a “ministers of care” program- no parish priests involved, diocese’s priest “taught” everyone from surronding area- he used “lesson” to promote female priests.

Once I started program, patients pleaded for priests- they did not visit the hospitalized. An ecumenical minister worked with most patients.
 
I used to live in a city where there was a Tridentine Mass every week at a parish rather far from where I lived. I would attend that mass periodically and attend the coffee-and-donuts afterwards. Nobody ever introduced themselves to me or even greeted me. I would wander around trying to find a table where I could inject myself into the conversation, but being shy I never succeeded.

On the other hand, I despise the practice which you find in some places, whereby the priest (or the layperson giving the announcements) starts out by asking the newcomers to stand up and introduce themselves. The intention is good, but it’s the wrong way to go about it. Putting people “on the spot” is not the best way to make them feel welcome.

At my current parish I feel that folks are friendly for the most part. The pastor is outgoing and always stands in the entryway after Mass, shaking people’s hands and chatting.

You can’t really generalize. Catholic parishes are not manufactured on an assembly line. Each one is different.
 
Really? What’s your experience?
I currently live in a small rural parish with about 70 families in the Midwest. It is very friendly. Just yesterday most of the congregation stood outside after mass talking, some of us for nearly an hour. Priest is always friendly and remembers people’s birthdays, etc.

I used to live in a large city, and my parish had over 7,000 families. Again, it was very warm and friendly, had a welcome ministry that set up tables after mass for new people, had TONS of different ministries and groups you could join. Of course in a large parish it is going to take longer to meet people and make friendships, but I didn’t find it hard to do so when I moved there. The priests and deacons were all awesome, and we had quite a few different ones in the 15 years I was in that parish. I also had occasion to attend or visit many other parishes in the city for activities or because of schedule, etc. I never found any of them to be as you describe.

My mom’s parish is also very friendly. It has a large Hispanic population moving in the area and an aging white population, but they still have lots of activities and friendly people. The priests are all very friendly and personable and know a lot of the parishioners by name even though there are over 1000 families in that parish (my observation of them greeting people by name, even me who only goes there a couple of times a year when visiting mom). These priests are from a religious order.
I 'd love some guides.
I don’t really know what you mean.
And , if you don’t mind, a link to parish site? Would be useful reviewing parishes.
Sorry, we don’t have a website. We are very small.
 
I’d have to say no. Every church I have attended have provided me with the Sacraments
(thank God) and that sustains me. Heck that’s all there is really, but I have never found a church that is in any way friendly. Priests either hide from parishoners, straight off altar no greetings or spent time with the wealthy. Parishoners kept to themselves ( at best) or went out of their way to be rude.

I do note they did have food drives, mission contributions etc. but nothing like fellowship.
My experience is based on attending Novus Ordo and Tridentine- in Midwest and NE.

Is this your experience? I did join organizations, but they were mainly fiefdoms for the egotistical.
Yes, absolutely. Archdiocese of Denver, I’m pretty sure the whole Archdiocese was like this under Chaput. It was great. On the east coast, you have to shop parishes. Not as common. Don’t know why.
 
My parish is very supportive and community oriented. Father has get togethers at his house for different groups (young adults for example) and he attends lots of the parish functions that take place outside the physical parish like trips and bowling league night.

The parish is small in number of families but the geographic boundaries are over a large geographic area. People make a real effort to keep the community feeling going. We notice when someone is new and make sure to speak to them after Mass. Most of my friends are people I met at Church functions.
 
I’ve assisted at mass at 5 different parishes in my Archdiocese this summer. In three of these, I have been a stranger (a Tridentine mass in a small sattelite of a parish at large, a Spanish language N.O. mass in an inner city community, and an English language N.O. mass in a rural community.) People have been so welcoming in each of these instances. After the Tridentine mass, I was invited to the monthly supper in the parish hall and taken under the wing of several parishioners. I stayed and ate and visited for an hour and went home looking forward to being in their neighborhood in the future.
At the Spanish mass, people greeted ,me at the door (I was one of the few Anglos) showed me where to find the Spanish/English missalettes, and helped me figure out how the post mass Taco lineup worked. I was so impressed by the faith-filled assembly, the seven (I counted twice! ) altar servers, and the way the priest used his sermon to provide wonderful catechesis on the meaning of the church architecture and furniture, ways of reverencing Our Lord at mass, and the gospel, and the music. Everybody sang!. Talk about full participation
I stayed for about 45 minutes after mass and the parking lot was still fairly full.
I was met at the door by a pair of ushers who were snowbirding at the English language rural parish mass. They told me about all the wonderful things to see and do in their area and welcomed me to the mass. I didn’t feel like an outsider for a minute. The priest had to be one of the happiest priests I had ever met. We had a wonderful mass, (no food afterwards but that didn’t stop people from congregating outside) and, before I left, the ushers made sure I knew the location of their favorite restaurant for breakfast in the area and gave me directions to the local Catholic mission. Both were well worth the visit.
Don’t be afraid to throw yourself on the mercy of a few strangers; You just might be in for a pleasant surprise.
My regular Tridentine parish is a parish at large and draws people from many miles around. Our priest says that the average commute is over 40 minutes. Despite this, we have monthly meals/ gatherings and people visit outside after our regular mass. When Father offers a class before mass, families come an hour early to fill the meeting hall for additional catechesis. After awhile, faces become familiar and of course we have our devotion to Our Lord in common. It’s a wonderful community.
Locally, there are so many volunteer opportunities in my parish. I remember the godparents of my daughter telling me that they had moved several times and, each time, the key to settling into their community was becoming involved in their parish. I hope that you find many opportunities to be active in your church. May God bless you. Amen.
 
Yes, many times. Here is the website of the parish we attended and where all our children were baptized before we moved to Europe. It is in Kirkland, WA a suburb of Seattle. hfk2.org/
 
It’s good to know there are welcoming churches. I have lived in the same area for 14 years (attended three different churches).

1st Church they would not know my family from folks signing up last week. Seems to be the only folks who know one another are part of school/ part of a group my church serves (well, not serves, they are the host church but group has its own visiting priest). Try to make eye contact and the priest avoids anyone but the “select”.

2nd Cannot be described as Catholic.

3rd Extremely small. Nasty, judgemental women who actually COUNT how many times one family member goes to the bathroom. Oh and accused, another family member of vanadalizing church property- probably b/c we’re new. I also believe she likes her insular church and does not want it to grow, especially by including female parishoners who wear pants ( no joke).

So… I have a hard time believing these accounts…are ya’'ll Pollyannas? 🙂
 
Fellow ship is most likely to happen in the groups, chior, bible study, youth groups, singles…Don’t wait for an invitation. Join in!
 
So… I have a hard time believing these accounts…are ya’'ll Pollyannas? 🙂
If you are basing your judgement on three churches - I would say that is too small a number. No pollster would conduct a survey of three households and then publish the results of his poll based on that.

If you had been to a couple of dozen parishes in your area and had the same experience, I would consider moving to a different diocese if possible - only partly joking…
 
If by “supportive” you mean that five or six women that I only know through church and have never had out to dinner or lunch once in my life spontaneously offered to send a meal over to our house when I had my surgery, then yes, I think we’re in a supportive community-oriented Catholic parish.

We actually have people who volunteer every week to be “greeters”, and Father stands around and talks to whoever wants to talk before he goes to the sacristy to remove his vestments. It has been that way through three different priests.

Why, though, did you write “they did have food drives” and not “we did have food drives”? I will tell you this: If you want people anywhere to call you by your first name, it helps if you can be occasionally be seen during the set-up and tear-down stages, and not just show up in-between all the work. I would say that over 95% of the work in city parishes is done by 5-10% of the parishioners, and I don’t only mean the fundraisers and the food drives. It is not as if Father and the paid staff single-handedly plan the liturgies, clean the church, put out the flowers, wash and iron the altar linens, care for the vestments, set up the credence table, train the altar servers and have them there on time, sing all the parts in the choir, usher people to their seats, take up the collection, buy the doughnuts, make the coffee, set out the tables and chairs in the parish hall, and put it all away after every Mass. That doesn’t count the work of long-range planning, catechesis, various kinds of social justice outreach, fundraising, keeping the parish school running, and maintaining the facilities and grounds. Yes! I am saying that most parishes even have more yard maintenance than they can afford to pay to have done. There is a lot of volunteer effort required to keep a parish running, even just the part that happens between 4 pm Saturday and 1 pm Sunday, but at most medium or large parishes, most parishioners only *show up *for the sacraments, and don’t give any time at all to make sure that even that work gets done. In a small parish out in the sticks, they can’t do that, because there is too much to do, and so everybody knows everybody. In a large parish, if the people who do all the work have to field complaints from someone they don’t know about how things ought to be different, they can get a bit short in their answers. They ought to be unfailingly nice, but it can be understandably difficult.

Our parish has a coffee and donut social after the Sunday morning Masses. They tried a few things after Saturday vigil Masses, but most people attending those Masses apparently have other plans for the evening. Socials, however, take someone to run them. If you’d like to see that at your parish, you may need to spearhead the effort yourself. It is not something the priest can pull off by himself, and it is generally something done by those who see the need for it.

I don’t know exactly what you mean by “fiefdoms for the egotistical”, but I gather that there were lots of generals and not many in the general infantry. I can’t speak to the reasons for that, because the reasons are varied all the way from an entry-level volunteer who gets disgruntled because all is currently wanted is a willingness to work and on up to every project being made solely of “leaders”, every one of whom want to micromanage everyone else out of their minds. That is something you have to discern on the ground.
 
It’s good to know there are welcoming churches. I have lived in the same area for 14 years (attended three different churches).

1st Church they would not know my family from folks signing up last week. Seems to be the only folks who know one another are part of school/ part of a group my church serves (well, not serves, they are the host church but group has its own visiting priest). Try to make eye contact and the priest avoids anyone but the “select”.

2nd Cannot be described as Catholic.

3rd Extremely small. Nasty, judgemental women who actually COUNT how many times one family member goes to the bathroom. Oh and accused, another family member of vanadalizing church property- probably b/c we’re new. I also believe she likes her insular church and does not want it to grow, especially by including female parishoners who wear pants ( no joke).

So… I have a hard time believing these accounts…are ya’'ll Pollyannas? 🙂
I have never met a pastor in my life who avoids eye contact after Mass. That is weird. Maybe being kind of absent and not all there on occasion, but not actively avoiding eye contact…and that’s even at parishes at which I was visiting on vacation. You do get a much more animated response if they know you from somewhere besides the receiving line after weekend Masses. Priests are people, too.

I have never heard of someone at Mass admitting that they count how many times someone else went to the bathroom. That is also weird. Add on accusing a new parishioner of vandalizing church property and you get to very odd, approaching the bizarre.

I have heard of parishes with fashion police, but they’re rather rare and they’re usually kind of angry because everyone else has learned to ignore them. This may be because we live in Oregon, where currently the concept of appropriate dress is essentially foreign. There is no flavor of fashion police who would be happy here, because there is no consensus about dress except maybe “mind your own business”.

I’m sorry. It does only take a few people to put a very weird flavor into a parish, but in my experience the effect is limited or more or less transitory. You’ve had very bad luck.
 
Ha. Bad luck? I didn’t even mention a parish I attended about 20 years ago…they had a book written about them! “What God Allows” publishersweekly.com/978-0-385-47293-7 (gay priest coming out)

I sense a bit of disbelief in your response, I suppose it was wise to EDIT what I wrote. My experiences have not dissuaded me from my faith, but are disheartening. I also had a wretched childhood, my spouse likewise. We have a happy family though! One begins to wonder, is it me…you know going to bathroom too much during Mass ( see last post if that’s confusing) and wearing scandalous -loose-dress pants! 🙂
 
Ha. Bad luck? I didn’t even mention a parish I attended about 20 years ago…they had a book written about them! “What God Allows” publishersweekly.com/978-0-385-47293-7 (gay priest coming out)

I sense a bit of disbelief in your response, I suppose it was wise to EDIT what I wrote. My experiences have not dissuaded me from my faith, but are disheartening. I also had a wretched childhood, my spouse likewise. We have a happy family though! One begins to wonder, is it me…you know going to bathroom too much during Mass ( see last post if that’s confusing) and wearing scandalous -loose-dress pants! 🙂
I think we both feel a little disbelief. There are a billion Catholics in the world, so it makes sense that it is hard to fathom the variety one could run into, whether in family life or parish life.

The only thing I can think to suggest is that if the local parishes each differ only in the nature of the resident toxic element, you might find the Catholics in your area have learned to do their social volunteering elsewhere, maybe at the food banks or the soup kitchens? Maybe at Serra Club or something? When it comes to Catholic support, it comes down to having Catholic friendships. If those friendships are outside your parish, that’s OK.

The advantage of finding Catholic friends outside your parish is that differences over what makes a good liturgy will matter far less in that context. It is easier to agree to disagree when you can each go your own way when the issue of disagreement isn’t an activity that you have to do together. Maybe that is a way to cope with your predicament?
 
To be fair, the parish that has the bathroom trip counter also has a parishoner who is very,very nice. She makes a point of being friendly, even sitting near us, a bold move considering the “bathroom counter” is one of her circle.

I am glad I thought more about this and have been reminded of her. She even made a point of complimenting my store bought ( gourmet and not cheap!) cookies when everyone else cooks!
 
A very unfortunate experience…but not my experience…I lived (not visited) in 22 different locations USA (including NE Rhode Island & Midwest Colorado)…and also 4 or 5 overseas locations (mostly NE Asia, SE Asia and SW Asia & Mideast).

I even grew up in segregated Catholic Churches and schools in deep South…and did not had your unfortunate experience (as strange as that my sound). We had (at first) separate Churches…ours was a converted warehouse bldg.)…(then ) same Church with separate Masses/times for sacraments…(then) same times for liturgy/sacraments, but segregated seating areas…(then)…a burly Bishop showed up and gave a homily that was basically: "…I’ll die for you…but I won’t go to hell for you…no more separation “in the Body of Christ…in my Church…not on my watch”! …and that was the end of civil law practices inside the Church (some railed against the bishop…vented their anger and then he gave them his bottom line:…“my way or the excommunication-highway”…only two people “voted with their feet”). But even when it was the most segregated inside the Church…both races were connected and had cordial relations and talked in fellowship…had genuine concerns for each other…visited with each other…in different community, social and work environments…although always in the context and rules of segregation…but there was genuine fellowship.

Even in Easter Vigil Mass celebration…in foreign country/language…I was asked/chosen to have my feet washed (yes, he washed both)…by a Korean bishop who gave me an exuberant “hug of peace” afterwards…just me…not the others…and after Mass ( although I could understand.converse a little)…he got a local parishioner who spoke English to be my escort to the parish party/celebration after the Vigil…as I went home, the Sun had risen…literally!

I love the Catholic Church and every experience I have had in it…bar none…especially my fellow Catholics (no matter where we each are on our Journey to God). I have never heard a bad or heterodox or milk-toast homily…but I have been thrown out of Confession once (for good reason in all honesty…and the priest made me go pray, focus on the Crucifix…and stop “fencing” with the Lord and His Church’s teaching on a marriage issue…then come back…yes, I did & He did)!

Keep the faith…and force the issue…always remembering that the person in the pew next to us always has three great and significant things in common with us…(1) they too are a sinner…(2) they too have been saved by Our Lord Jesus…(3) they too have been saved in His Church by His priests – in persona Christi…by Him in His Word and in His sacraments. That is, IMO, a great bond of fellowship…and a great beginning for fellowship… spiritual friendship.

Pax Christi

I have never experienced a lack of fellowship…
 
I can’t even fathom a segregated Mass…wow. I love his response. 👍

Never heard a questionable homily? Thank God, I have studied apologetics- I’d be a female priest by now!
 
…She makes a point of being friendly, even sitting near us, a bold move considering the “bathroom counter” is one of her circle…
I’m guessing she’s protecting both her friend and her friend’s victims. After all, the warm caring woman who would give you the shirt off her back and the woman who makes you want to crawl under a chair in embarrassment can be the same person…but if you want to be friends with her, you don’t tell her that. This friend could be a good person to talk to about problems you’ve been having with Bathroom Lady, too, because she could give you strategies for staying off of Bathroom Lady’s radar. You know: “I think I’ve gotten on Carol’s bad side. Do you have any suggestions for what to do about that? We’d like to fit in with the other parishioners, but I’m at a loss about what to do.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top