Having serious doubts...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Samson01
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my only post on this thread:
Saint Ignatius of Loyola advises that if I’m having problems believing or if I know in my head the right thing to do but my heart is resisting, then I should act as if I do believe, as if my heart were fully amenable until I do, in fact, believe again with my whole heart and soul.
Oftentimes, when my faith wavers, I take great consolation in this advice. First, it reminds me that doubting is a common phenomenon and not necessarily a sin. Second, it tells me what I should do while waiting for my feeble faith to return.
I act as if. I go through the motions, not as a hypocrite but as one who has followed his will to push him through when his heart is acting fickle. This is why the church values ritual so much.
It allows my body and my voice to move me through the barren deserts of my spiritual life. Eventually, my heart and soul will kick in again. I just have to be patient.
  • Mark E Thibodeaux,S.J.
    “God, I Have Issues”
 
Thank you all for your responses. I did have a personal and powerful encounter with The Lord a few years back. It happened after a few years of intense suffering. I often liken it to the story in Scripture when the guard of the jail despaired after an angel freed his captives… He was converted in mercy, once guided by his honor. I do not doubt the Lords existence. My doubts lay with the church. Persona Christi, the Real Presence… and with the shepherds that tend it and its members. Thank you.
 
Thank you all for your responses. I did have a personal and powerful encounter with The Lord a few years back. It happened after a few years of intense suffering. I often liken it to the story in Scripture when the guard of the jail despaired after an angel freed his captives… He was converted in mercy, once guided by his honor. I do not doubt the Lords existence. My doubts lay with the church. Persona Christi, the Real Presence… and with the shepherds that tend it and its members. Thank you.
I agree. I can’t believe that I heard one priest tell me he received communion at a protestant church. with stuff like that, it’s no wonder why you doubt the real true presence. I can tell you from my experience when holding the ciborium one time. that Jesus is certainly present in full divinity and there is no doubt. The problem is, that we are in tough times and there is no denying it. I understand your feelings in as much as I can understand as I don’t know your personal emotions, but I understand as much as I can.
 
Thank you all for your responses. I did have a personal and powerful encounter with The Lord a few years back. It happened after a few years of intense suffering. I often liken it to the story in Scripture when the guard of the jail despaired after an angel freed his captives… He was converted in mercy, once guided by his honor. I do not doubt the Lords existence. My doubts lay with the church. Persona Christi, the Real Presence… and with the shepherds that tend it and its members. Thank you.
Indeed. However, know that when you doubt the Church, you also doubt her Groom, our Lord; for they are one. Trust in the Church despite the frailty of Her members.
 
I don’t know I like the fact the lion will lay with the lamb and weapons will be turned into plowshares. No more death we will be changed and meet the Lord in the air and the Heaven and the Earth will become one. It will happen someday why not in our lifetime. I am just saying I am not afraid as I have no choice of either the second coming or natural death. I can’t stop either one.
Maybe I didn’t make myself clear.

I can see why people are fed up.

It seems as if the entire world is tapdancing on Satan’s front porch, but to HOPE for the end times? So many people hoping for that? I’m sure it’s a personality thing but I would HOPE for people to turn from their miserable, wicked ways and back to God, not for famine, pestilence, war and suffering.
 
Maybe I didn’t make myself clear.

I can see why people are fed up.

It seems as if the entire world is tapdancing on Satan’s front porch, but to HOPE for the end times? So many people hoping for that? I’m sure it’s a personality thing but I would HOPE for people to turn from their miserable, wicked ways and back to God, not for famine, pestilence, war and suffering.
I understand clearly your stand on this issue. My point is that at one time the second coming is going to take place. and just like getting medicine it will sometimes hurt but the end result is the world finally being healed. we are dancing on his front porch and how much more before God has had enough? we are already having pestilence war rumors of war and tons and tons of suffering suffering that is beyond measure. Murders and abortion Church teachings being twisted and bent to fulfill the clergy’s will and our will, never mind Christ’s will. I am tired of the same ole same ole. I hate war I hate greed and I hate indifference. The time hopefully will be soon his glorious return and the Church being in her full glory oh what a great day that will be.
 
I understand clearly your stand on this issue. My point is that at one time the second coming is going to take place. and just like getting medicine it will sometimes hurt but the end result is the world finally being healed. we are dancing on his front porch and how much more before God has had enough? we are already having pestilence war rumors of war and tons and tons of suffering suffering that is beyond measure. Murders and abortion Church teachings being twisted and bent to fulfill the clergy’s will and our will, never mind Christ’s will. I am tired of the same ole same ole. I hate war I hate greed and I hate indifference. The time hopefully will be soon his glorious return and the Church being in her full glory oh what a great day that will be.
I am gratified to hear that you understand.

But if the day will come I cannot understand why ANYONE would pray to hasten it.

Who would want to see the streets run with blood and entire nations destroyed? How do you know you will be among the elite? how does anyone?

But that’s probably just me. Which I guess makes me a ‘bad Catholic.’ Nothing new.

Best of luck and farewell.
 
Everybody calm down! The gates of hell will not prevail against the church for goodness sakes! The church is stronger for one reason: We have one Pope Emeritus and one current Pope. Together they’re working together and making some great progress weeding out junk in the Vatican. You need to have faith because I tell you worse times are coming then this. Strap in and hang on as the old order of things is moving away.
If you’re getting overwhelmed about the future and nervous about the church please read: Trial, Tribulation & Triumph: Before, During, and After Antichrist: By Desmond A. Birch. This is the best book I’ve ever read on the end times. It contains only approved sources and is very academic.
 
Thank you, I’m in hover mode. There is a lot of movement within the Vatican tonight…an emergency meeting called by the Pope. I’m watching intensely what unfolds. Perhaps stress is getting to me, perhaps it’s something else. I’m praying and fasting.
You will be in my prayers Sampson that the Holy Spirit will give you what you need in encouragement and love.
 
I am gratified to hear that you understand.

But if the day will come I cannot understand why ANYONE would pray to hasten it.

Who would want to see the streets run with blood and entire nations destroyed? How do you know you will be among the elite? how does anyone?

But that’s probably just me. Which I guess makes me a ‘bad Catholic.’ Nothing new.

Best of luck and farewell.
“bad Catholic” I never ever thought that. in fact you seem like a nice person who maturely expressed his/her opinion in a very diplomatic way with charity. I thought we had a “gentleman’s” intelligent discussion on this topic and I rather enjoyed it. So to say you’re a “bad Catholic” because you disagreed with me, that saddens me. God bless you
 
well I can’t see how much longer things will last. there is blood in the streets now. and more and more school shootings more terrorism and more atheism. But God in his mercy will prevail. I am not afraid of the events. I am afraid of God’s anger and me. I beg God everyday to please judge me with mercy not anger. I beg him that incase I get hit head on by one of these tractor trailers that go 90 on these two lane roads in SW Mo. I could have a stroke or a heart attack so I BEG God the son Jesus the Christ to please judge me with love and mercy, with the fact in mind that I am weak and sinful.
Don’t fear God. LOVE God instead. Trust him.

What is the prayer Jesus taught Sr. Faustina? Jesus, I trust in you. Say it over and over.

God’s not poised to whack us - he’s desperate for us to accept his love, and transmit it to others.
 
Something you folks may not know that has effected my situation. My marriage and relationship with my wife just ended after 25 years together. The last 3 years were tough and I requested help from a few pastors with little to no caring response. I took my faith and vows seriously. I needed help. I have been in serious situations before that I requested help in. One in particular was in 2003 while in the hospital dying during chemotherapy. A priest visited me, said a few words and left…no anointing, no sacraments, no counsel. That was the scariest time I have ever experienced. Two years alone in darkness. It was The Lord Himself that came. His workers where asleep.
 
Something you folks may not know that has effected my situation. My marriage and relationship with my wife just ended after 25 years together. The last 3 years were tough and I requested help from a few pastors with little to no caring response. I took my faith and vows seriously. I needed help. I have been in serious situations before that I requested help in. One in particular was in 2003 while in the hospital dying during chemotherapy. A priest visited me, said a few words and left…no anointing, no sacraments, no counsel. That was the scariest time I have ever experienced. Two years alone in darkness. It was The Lord Himself that came. His workers where asleep.
There is no excuse for that kind of treatment and you aren’t the only one. The clergy is in need of a serious come to Jesus meeting. I have heard a lot rather MANY instances where the priest was less than ideal. I have had many personal experiences negative ones and the seminary I was at and the pastoral assignment I was at… turned me off. I mean I went a hospital visit with the pastor I was with, and the medevac copter came in for a landing and I said how cool that was… and then when we went in to see this poor lonely lady, I noticed that she had a picture of her beautiful Persian cat and I made a comment, as I love cats myself. She was getting so happy with talking with me and that made her whole day, the pastor rushed me along as he had to go and eat… or something, then he tells me that I have formation issues cause I said the helicopter was cool “that is what an 8 year old would say.” , meanwhile I was talking with this poor lady who was missing her home her kitty and her life, and I made her day… that was never mentioned. that is just one instance. instead of writing 45 to 50 papers per semester and grading every quote and source site, howabout putting seminarians in the front lines and work under a pastor and really get to know what bein a priest is like, , Seminary is not what being a priest is like. You are right and that pastor needs retraining. It breaks my heart to see someone sick,whilst being alone that priest was NOT Christi Persona, Just wrong. and there is no excuse. Priests for abortion priests telling parishioners that you don’t need confession to receive, after all you know you are forgiven during Mass. it goes on and on and the time for a pruning is LONG overdue. I hate that formation process cause it don’t work. there were plenty of 4th year theology students about to be ordained a transitional deacon that couldn’t pastor their way out of a wet paper bag. it is awful and it is wrong and I hope Christ fixes it cause more and more people are falling away cause of it and cause of indifference… It is indifference that boils my blood it is worrying about gaging on a gnat whilst ignoring the camel that is peeking it’s nose under the tent.
 
I just don’t know, Scooby. I do know the amount of suffering it can take to convert the heart. I don’t think the shepherds are ready for the process… I really just don’t know.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top