Heaven is for Real seemed to do the opposite of its intentions

  • Thread starter Thread starter TrCastle7
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TrCastle7

Guest
Is it just me or did the recent movie Haven is for Real seem to do more in convincing you the boy’s story wasn’t true than that it is? After watching it I sur felt this way but I was wanting to get some other people’s opinions on it.
 
Is it just me or did the recent movie Haven is for Real seem to do more in convincing you the boy’s story wasn’t true than that it is? After watching it I sur felt this way but I was wanting to get some other people’s opinions on it.
Read the book and do a bit of research than ask “why would Colton lie?” I wouldn’t be so hasty to write off his veracity. God Bless you.
 
Read the book and do a bit of research than ask “why would Colton lie?” I wouldn’t be so hasty to write off his veracity. God Bless you.
It’s more about Colton’s father than about him. I didn’t care for the book so I didn’t waste my money on the movie. Several I talked to thought it was hyped up. Might have been good acting but not a good storyline. I can’t imagine why so many Catholics are being caught up in this. There are no horses in Heaven. The description of everything is far fetched. Even Drs. say the brain is a very complex organ and who knows what goes on in it when someone is very ill or dying. The Bible tells us that NO eye has seen nor ear has heard. We can even have crazy dreams when were not sick or dying. How do you account for that??? God Bless, Memaw
 
I remember hearing a snippet of the kid’s testimony on Oprah or a similar show and laughing. It’s obvious he heard his parents talking about the death of his sibling, even if they deny it. When my son was that age, he had insanely acute hearing. Even when he was watching Spongebob at full blast downstairs, he could hear my husband and I whispering a private conversation behind closed doors upstairs and ask questions about it!
 
Is it just me or did the recent movie Haven is for Real seem to do more in convincing you the boy’s story wasn’t true than that it is? After watching it I sur felt this way but I was wanting to get some other people’s opinions on it.
I was not a fan of the book or the movie. Too much Oprah like stuff for me. To heavy on the emotional and not the theoLOGICAL.

I agree with you.
 
Is it just me or did the recent movie Haven is for Real seem to do more in convincing you the boy’s story wasn’t true than that it is? After watching it I sur felt this way but I was wanting to get some other people’s opinions on it.
I read the book. It contains to many errors to be true.
 
Even Drs. say the brain is a very complex organ and who knows what goes on in it when someone is very ill or dying. The Bible tells us that NO eye has seen nor ear has heard. We can even have crazy dreams when were not sick or dying. How do you account for that??? God Bless, Memaw
👍
 
Is it just me or did the recent movie Haven is for Real seem to do more in convincing you the boy’s story wasn’t true than that it is? After watching it I sur felt this way but I was wanting to get some other people’s opinions on it.
I read a bit of the book and a lot of red flags went up. The rainbow horse that Jesus supposedly rides seems more like a childhood fantasy.

The most disturbing aspect though is the connection between Colton’s Jesus and the Jesus new age artist Akiane communes with. They appear to be the same… That’s enough for me to steer clear of both.
 
The most disturbing aspect though is the connection between Colton’s Jesus and the Jesus new age artist Akiane communes with. They appear to be the same… That’s enough for me to steer clear of both.
I know a couple of people (good Catholics) who are enamored of both. Do you have some authoritative source(s) for your doubts that I could share with them? My opinion/gut feeling is not exactly convincing.
 
Read the book and do a bit of research than ask “why would Colton lie?” I wouldn’t be so hasty to write off his veracity. God Bless you.
You don’t necessarily have to doubt Colton; I’m sure he’s sincere. Whom you can very reasonably doubt is his father, Todd Burpo - the book’s author.

Quite a lot of that book was about, if you notice, Todd and his ‘‘ministry,’’ rather than about the experience of the boy. Even more significantly, every experience of Colton has been filtered through Todd twice: first in his experiences of conversations with Colton, and then in the book itself.

This is significant for two reasons: the first is that you’re getting a hear-say account from a man who describes himself as ‘‘a storyteller’’ (14). The second is that memories of the very young are fluid; they are easily influenced. Many times in the book, Todd describes being completely floored by something Colton said, when it would - if a different kid said them - be given very little significance. It’s Tod that both gives significance and interpretation to Colton’s reported words. The significance that Todd gives to the words could then easily influence Colton’s memory of the experience. The sequence would be: Colton says something; Todd interprets it and explains this interpretation to Colton; Colton naturally synthesizes Todd’s interpretation into his memory.

I’m not saying nothing happened; I’m not even saying that Colton didn’t have a mystical experience. I cannot say. What I can say is that there are severe problems with trusting a secondhand account published seven years after the event by a man who is receiving profit from royalties from both book and movie, and who is both interpreter and reporter of the words of a four-year-old.
 
I know a couple of people (good Catholics) who are enamored of both. Do you have some authoritative source(s) for your doubts that I could share with them? My opinion/gut feeling is not exactly convincing.
I suppose gut feeling and intuition are not considered authoritative sources,yet I cannot get over the connection between these two children who have allegedly had apparitions of Jesus. When Colton saw a picture Akiane painted at age 8 he said that the image was the entity he had seen at 4 years of age.He had rejected all previous images and artwork shown to him.

When Jesus told St Faustina to have the Divine Mercy image painted the final result was supposedly not what He looked like yet Jesus told her it did not matter,what mattered was the FAITH people had and trusting in His love and mercy.
The image that Akiane painted was in her words a carpenter who one day randomly showed up at their door looking for work. It all sounds too contrived. If you look closely at the eyes of her portrait,they seem slightly disturbing… Maybe it is just me.

More disturbing yet are individuals claiming that Akianes painting matches the image on the shroud.Yes,look it up. I have no idea where this is all going but I put my faith in Jesus and believe the Church,my Mother and comfort.
 
I suppose gut feeling and intuition are not considered authoritative sources,yet I cannot get over the connection between these two children who have allegedly had apparitions of Jesus. When Colton saw a picture Akiane painted at age 8 he said that the image was the entity he had seen at 4 years of age.He had rejected all previous images and artwork shown to him.

When Jesus told St Faustina to have the Divine Mercy image painted the final result was supposedly not what He looked like yet Jesus told her it did not matter,what mattered was the FAITH people had and trusting in His love and mercy.
The image that Akiane painted was in her words a carpenter who one day randomly showed up at their door looking for work. It all sounds too contrived. If you look closely at the eyes of her portrait,they seem slightly disturbing… Maybe it is just me.

More disturbing yet are individuals claiming that Akianes painting matches the image on the shroud.Yes,look it up. I have no idea where this is all going but I put my faith in Jesus and believe the Church,my Mother and comfort.
I think Bolton tried to connect his story with Akiane to try to give it credibility. Akiane is an outstanding Artist and I have seen some of her paintings in person and heard her story. It DOES sound very creditable all by itself. God Bless, Memaw
 
I think Bolton tried to connect his story with Akiane to try to give it credibility. Akiane is an outstanding Artist and I have seen some of her paintings in person and heard her story. It DOES sound very creditable all by itself. God Bless, Memaw
You said somewhere that Akianes parents converted to Catholicism.I believe her dad is a lapsed Catholic and I am not sure if Akiane was baptized. Akiane rejected Christianity and Catholicism in favor of a vague spirituality.She rejected the truth so I have to wonder if her paintings are inspired to give God glory or are preparing people for the acceptance of ascended master sananda jesus.a spiritual entity that mimics Jesus Christ.
 
It’s more about Colton’s father than about him. I didn’t care for the book so I didn’t waste my money on the movie. Several I talked to thought it was hyped up. Might have been good acting but not a good storyline. I can’t imagine why so many Catholics are being caught up in this. There are no horses in Heaven. The description of everything is far fetched. Even Drs. say the brain is a very complex organ and who knows what goes on in it when someone is very ill or dying. The Bible tells us that NO eye has seen nor ear has heard. We can even have crazy dreams when were not sick or dying. How do you account for that??? God Bless, Memaw
Dear Memaw,
I can’t account for what you’ve said. I don’t know what heaven looks like and I don’t know if God brought this child to heaven then sent him back or what God’s purpose for doing all this would be. I know I trust in God and I believe all is possible with God. Though it sounds simple (like a child), that’s my faith. Have a Blessed Day.🙂
 
I remember hearing a snippet of the kid’s testimony on Oprah or a similar show and laughing. It’s obvious he heard his parents talking about the death of his sibling, even if they deny it. When my son was that age, he had insanely acute hearing. Even when he was watching Spongebob at full blast downstairs, he could hear my husband and I whispering a private conversation behind closed doors upstairs and ask questions about it!
All we need is the faith the size of a mustard seed. God Bless you.:gopray:
 
You don’t necessarily have to doubt Colton; I’m sure he’s sincere. Whom you can very reasonably doubt is his father, Todd Burpo - the book’s author.

Quite a lot of that book was about, if you notice, Todd and his ‘‘ministry,’’ rather than about the experience of the boy. Even more significantly, every experience of Colton has been filtered through Todd twice: first in his experiences of conversations with Colton, and then in the book itself.

This is significant for two reasons: the first is that you’re getting a hear-say account from a man who describes himself as ‘‘a storyteller’’ (14). The second is that memories of the very young are fluid; they are easily influenced. Many times in the book, Todd describes being completely floored by something Colton said, when it would - if a different kid said them - be given very little significance. It’s Tod that both gives significance and interpretation to Colton’s reported words. The significance that Todd gives to the words could then easily influence Colton’s memory of the experience. The sequence would be: Colton says something; Todd interprets it and explains this interpretation to Colton; Colton naturally synthesizes Todd’s interpretation into his memory.

I’m not saying nothing happened; I’m not even saying that Colton didn’t have a mystical experience. I cannot say. What I can say is that there are severe problems with trusting a secondhand account published seven years after the event by a man who is receiving profit from royalties from both book and movie, and who is both interpreter and reporter of the words of a four-year-old.
I’m not drawing a direct correlation to the book Heaven is Real and the Bible but some of your reply when first read sound similar to Biblical critics of today. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Colton is a prophet or anything like that but could he just be a messenger from God? That speaks to all of us as commissioned by Jesus to go out and spread The Word of God. Could God have used this young boy’s story to bring someone back to His Church; someone who wouldn’t have stepped foot inside ANY church regardless of the reason. Have faith in God and trust Him. Have a Blessed Day.🙂
 
Where would I find that?
I believe it was in an interview with her I read but I cannot seem to locate it.She also claims she has communicated with extraterrestrials(aliens) in another interview.Her spirituality is vaguely gnostic and very new age. I studied her artwork looking for some clue as to the purpose and it seems to be leading somewhere but not to Jesus Christ.Her pyramid picture with the waves and bubbles is quite unusual and even she does not know why god had her paint it.

In another interview she claimed some of her poems come to her fully formed.much like automatic writing. Not sure what to think of that but I avoid reading them lest they were channeled from a deceptive entity.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top