D
dixieagle
Guest
Someone did point out to me that there are states where this is legal. To be honest, I am rather astounded, but the law is the law.I should have added that in my state, it is legal to serve your own children alcohol, even in a restaurant. The parent can order a glass of wine etc and give it to the underage offspring.The catch is this…
If you do that, it is wise to not allow excessive consumption because at that point you could be exposing yourself to potential charges of contributing to the delinquency of a minor or child endangering should they become intoxicated. Additionally the age of the child could be an issue. I would not recommend doing this if the child is under 15.
The situation that most commonly applies would be a wedding reception where champaign is served or a toast is given.
Seems to me that it’s much better not to take the chance, given the pitfalls that you mention.
(I do remember my then10-year old brother sneaking around and finishing off the champagne in the glasses at my wedding reception 35 years ago in New England…)
*