C
CutlerB
Guest
On another thread I asked about religious liberty, but that’s a separate issue from the one I’m about to post now.
I have been discussing the question of whether the Church can change her doctrine, and if she even has, with a lady who is either good at sophistry, or who has a point. Let me outline the positions.
My opponent’s position
I have been discussing the question of whether the Church can change her doctrine, and if she even has, with a lady who is either good at sophistry, or who has a point. Let me outline the positions.
My opponent’s position
- The Church can change her doctrine, although she doesn’t like people to think she could.
- The Church has changed her doctrine.
- The Church has erred in the past, from the modern teaching’s point of view.
- The Church cannot change her doctrine/dogma.
- The Church has not changed her doctrine/dogma.
- Doctrine/dogma can develop, but not in a way that is contradictory to a previous teaching.
- Anything that has changed in the past was either of a disciplinary nature, is not in the realm of faith or morals or is related to circumstances unique to the time.
- The Church has changed her position on religious freedom. [See other thread]
- The understanding of the Magisterium’s infallibility has changed over time. It used not to be limited to faith and morals. An example given is Quanta Cura:
Another one, which she only alludes to (not naming it), is Pope Boniface VIII’s famous Unam Sanctam.Nor can we pass over in silence the audacity of those who, not enduring sound doctrine, contend that “without sin and without any sacrifice of the Catholic profession assent and obedience may be refused to those judgments and decrees of the Apostolic See, whose object is declared to concern the Church’s general good and her rights and discipline, so only it does not touch the dogmata of faith and morals.” But no one can be found not clearly and distinctly to see and understand how grievously this is opposed to the Catholic dogma of the full power given from God by Christ our Lord Himself to the Roman Pontiff of feeding, ruling and guiding the Universal Church.
Quite simply put: Is this lady right? Has the Church changed her doctrines? What about the quote from Quanta Cura, and Unam Sanctam?
This is really worrying me, and accordingly I have let her know that I am at my wit’s end and that I will end the discussion due to lack of further information.