Help Restore Free Speech to Church Pulpits!

• Thread starter Thread starter buffalo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just took action to help restore First Amendment free speech rights to the pulpits of churches across America, and thought you might want to help too!

Thanks… Let’s pray this passes.

I’ve done it. . .quick and painless. Let’s get on the ball and inundate Congress–let them know their constituents want freedom of speech back!

Each contact represents the voice of 16,000 people. So far we have represented 48,000. Keep it going.

Email the page to as many of your friends as you can. Put it up on other boards.

This is long overdo. I sent it to my personal e-mail list.

Think of what this country could be if priest and preachers could speak their minds without lawyers, ACLU, and the government standing over them. 🙂

jim orr:
Think of what this country could be if priest and preachers could speak their minds without lawyers, ACLU, and the government standing over them. 🙂
In what cities do lawyers et al decide the subject of the sermon? In my diocese, the Sunday homily is pretty much tied to the day’s readings. Is this not true elsewhere?

40.png
Richardols:
In what cities do lawyers et al decide the subject of the sermon? In my diocese, the Sunday homily is pretty much tied to the day’s readings. Is this not true elsewhere?
Where have you been the last election cycle? Most Pastor’s were afraid to speak specifically on election issues for fear of losing their non-profit status.

jim orr:
This is long overdo. I sent it to my personal e-mail list.

Not to go off on a tanget, but priests are even silenced by their OWN superiors at times too!!

“No more talking about homosexuality & abortion being intrinsically evil!”

“I don’t care if you didn’t mentioned him by name, don’t tell people how they should vote for the most pro-life candidate!!”

I’m not making this up. This is from a “silenced” priest now in the Los Angeles diocese.

40.png
jlw:
Not to go off on a tanget, but priests are even silenced by their OWN superiors at times too!!

“No more talking about homosexuality & abortion being intrinsically evil!”

“I don’t care if you didn’t mentioned him by name, don’t tell people how they should vote for the most pro-life candidate!!”

I’m not making this up. This is from a “silenced” priest now in the Los Angeles diocese.
And I keep reading on this site that we are too polarized. How can anyone not see there are two sides in this ongoing war?

40.png
buffalo:
Where have you been the last election cycle? Most Pastor’s were afraid to speak specifically on election issues for fear of losing their non-profit status.
Most? Which dioceses? West Coast? South?

And do you really think it appropriate for your pastor to tell you how to vote?

40.png
Richardols:

Geez, are you “legalistic” or what? I am not looking for my Pastor to tell me who to vote for. I am looking for him to broadcast and remind us of the salient issues and how a Catholic shuold approach them when going to the voting booth.

40.png
Richardols:

Maybe not the “who”, but “for what”?? Sure, I think that is permissable, ONLY in the context of Chruch doctrine in regards to faith and morals.

Pro-life, pro-traditional family, pro-religous freedom. How can anyone have a hard time with a priest saying that we should stand up for these in the way WE choose to vote as faithful Catholics??

40.png
buffalo:
Geez, are you “legalistic” or what? I am not looking for my Pastor to tell me who to vote for. I am looking for him to broadcast and remind us of the salient issues and how a Catholic shuold approach them when going to the voting booth.
I would think that we should have learned how to approach issues when we were in Civics class, either at parochial or public school.

In the last election, of course, Bush got more of the Catholic vote than previously, it was 52-48 (I believe) so Catholics certainly weren’t overly swayed by either side. No problem, then.

40.png
Richardols:
I would think that we should have learned how to approach issues when we were in Civics class, either at parochial or public school.

In the last election, of course, Bush got more of the Catholic vote than previously, it was 52-48 (I believe) so Catholics certainly weren’t overly swayed by either side. No problem, then.
THEY WERE SWAYED BIGTIME!!!

Catholics have been a key democrat constituency forever!! And the Democrat running this time…was…a…Catholic…and not only lost but lost…the…CATHOLIC vote too!!

40.png
jlw:
THEY WERE SWAYED BIGTIME!!!

Catholics have been a key democrat constituency forever!! And the Democrat running this time…was…a…Catholic…and not only lost but lost…the…CATHOLIC vote too!!
Now, now. 52-48 isn’t enough of a spread to surrender Catholicism to the GOP. Comes the next election with more moderate candidates on both sides, I think the Catholics will again be more Dem than GOP.

40.png
Richardols:

Learning how to approach things is one thing. Taking the time to chase down the facts in a media biased culture who routinely distorts and is unabashedly anti-Catholic is another. I wager many were sucked in. One example is the media coverage of stem cells.

40.png
Richardols:
Now, now. 52-48 isn’t enough of a spread to surrender Catholicism to the GOP. Comes the next election with more moderate candidates on both sides, I think the Catholics will again be more Dem than GOP.
I didn’t say surrender. I implied trending, though.

We’ll see how the Santorum v Casey election turns out.

40.png
buffalo:
One example is the media coverage of stem cells.
Was that a hot button item for anyone? I voted on the basis of the state of the economy, the war, the massive deficits, and such. Vote for Bush if you liked, but there was more talk about those topics than about something as exotic as stem-cell research. IMO.

We CAtholics went overboard neither for the Liberals nor for the right-wing.

40.png
Richardols:
Was that a hot button item for anyone? I voted on the basis of the state of the economy, the war, the massive deficits, and such. Vote for Bush if you liked, but there was more talk about those topics than about something as exotic as stem-cell research. IMO.

We CAtholics went overboard neither for the Liberals nor for the right-wing.
You obviously weren’t posting before the election. The debate was intense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back