Randy and Gorgias, I have not found your responses helpful
That might be because you’re looking for a
particular answer, and not the one that fits the data…
My point is about what we can actually know from history.
And yet, look at how you frame it up! Not what we ‘hear’ or ‘observe’, but what we know. In other words, despite the fact that there weren’t cameras and voice recorders blaring throughout all of history, we actually can say that we
know things that happened in the past! And yet, it’s all too easy to pick those things to which we don’t
want to assent, and trot out the standard retort, “but… we don’t know for
sure…!”.
Because I do not have access to the full picture, what his opponents were saying – Acts says the Jews convinced the crowd that he was wrong on multiple occasions, but I have no knowledge of what they actually said – I cannot know that what he was saying was correct. It’s like listening to what our politicians are saying, but without hearing “the other side”, we cannot determine how accurate they are presenting the situation.
That doesn’t hold up to reason, either. We could equally reasonably say that his opponents were making ad hominem attacks or appealing to irrational arguments, and these were sufficient to turn the crowd. (I mean, after all, I think there’s at least one politician in the current U.S. Presidential race who does the same thing… and look at
his popularity!)
No, we actually can assess the validity of an argument on its own merits, even if we don’t hear other arguments. Your claim doesn’t hold up.
That we cannot directly observe or experience historical truth claims does limit our certainty of the past, yes. We can only hold claims of knowledge with varying probabilities.
Yes – precisely! And, if we required 100%, incontrovertible, unassailable proof for
every proposition… then we’d all be locked in our rooms, in fetal positions, quivering, and refusing to act on any proposition. That’s not what we as humans do. Rather, we look at the best data available and reach conclusions and make decisions and take action on that ‘best data available.’ Claiming that we can’t know the truth about the Gospels because they’re ancient history seems disingenuous to me, in the face of a myriad of other contexts in life in which we draw conclusions based on incomplete data…
For example, light was failing when they buried Jesus in the tomb, and the women, exhausted, mistook the location of the tomb. They then went to the wrong place on Sunday and found the tomb empty.
Fair enough… but it doesn’t hold up to reason. Eventually, someone would’ve said, “umm… ladies? He’s in
Joseph of Arimathea’s tomb, not here. Go look
there.” And, looking in the right place, they would’ve found him.
You’re wrong to think that Occam’s Razor suggests that one event is necessarily a better explanation than multiple events. That’s a misapplication of it.
Who said “one event over multiple events”? It’s “simple explanation over complex explanation”! The resurrection – while more mind-boggling! – is simpler than “wrong tomb” + “empty tomb” + “burial cloths despite unused tomb” + “nobody follows up and discovers it was the wrong tomb”…
I suppose you have conceded that God can reveal Himself to us without removing our free will. That is my point: I want God to actually be my Father, not some silent absent figure I pray to in vain. That means interacting with me, talking with me, comforting me, not being so far removed that it appears He’s not even there.
Oh… so you want God to be a human father to you, and do all the things that a human would do and interact in ways that humans interact? I mean, it’s a wonderful desire, but… why is that a reasonable request?
I am now in a bad mood from spending so much time typing at a computer screen trying to get you both to see reason
My apologies that it’s put you in a bad mood. Here’s the thing, though: my perspective is that your arguments aren’t reasonable, and so, attempting to get me “to see reason” – where I see little – probably
is futile. However, the whole point of these types of fora is to exchange ideas. Will we convince each other of our opposing viewpoints? Probably not. On the other hand, we’ll each get some real live interaction, and we’ll hear from a real live person who espouses these ideas, and we’ll be less likely to caricature the arguments in the future. That doesn’t mean that I’ll agree with your views – from my perspective, I’ve been able to offer counter-arguments to what you’ve expressed here, and I haven’t seen a whole lot of reasoned refutation to those counter-arguments. Still, it’s good to have the dialogue. If that makes you angry, though…
, and arguing here is undermining my faith. (I am tempted to think that God does not exist, because if He did, surely His providence would have me met with better responses.)
That’s a rather odd way of looking at it. Are all our personal failures the responsibility of God and His Providence? (After all, if God really existed, surely His Providence would have caused me to win the lottery… and if He existed, He would ensure that I have a good job, and a rich supermodel wife…)