Historical Circumstances Not Proof the Resurrection Occurred (Proof of God's Existence)

  • Thread starter Thread starter ethereality
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
DaddyGirl;13814538:
…Considering that no prefect–especially Pilate-- has ever been known to allow a crucified criminal to be taken down for a decent burial…it doesn’t sound probable that he’d allow it in this case.
What others?
I know! Right?

We have a perfectly good historical account of Pilate doing exactly that (which DaddyGirl ignores) but then she goes on to claim that no other prefect ever did that.

How do you know that DaddyGirl? Argument from silence?

And why would Romans care about the burial? They didn’t have to organize it or pay for it.
 
As you know, a situation is sometimes explained by more than one event. To be clear, the Resurrection does not explain all five facts, either, but rather only the empty tomb. Facts 2-4 are explained by other events, namely, Jesus’ post-mortem appearances.
Well, obviously, I disagree. If you have a theory which explains ALL FIVE facts better than the resurrection, lay it out for us and we can discuss it.
As an aside, it’s not clear to me what you mean by “scope” as a criterion for preferring an explanation if not explanatory depth: The ability for a theory to be applied to more things does not make it any more likely to be true.
The Resurrection explains all five minimal facts…not just one or two.
But we must first take a step back and ask how we know those are all facts. For example, why should we believe the Bible’s testimony that James was initially skeptical of Jesus? James even could have been a type of L Ron Hubbard, looking to build up a family member for profit of some sort, we have such little historical record of him if the Bible isn’t trusted. Saul suffering a bad mental event (e.g. stroke) could explain his temporary blindness and change of behavior, with the others either hearing a voice or seeing a light based on his own unreliable testimony rather than theirs.
Is that the testimony of Paul himself in his letter to the Galatians?

And why should we believe the authors of the gospels? You mean other than the facts that they wrote early, they were eyewitnesses, they have been proven to be stunningly accurate in their accounts by archaeological evidence or that they had nothing to gain by lying? 😉
Then the final fact to be explained is how Jesus’ disciples came to believe that He rose and appeared to them. It seems this fact is speculation if not assumption: If we don’t assume the Bible is reliable, then we don’t know how many of the Disciples actually came to believe; we don’t know how many of them were martyred for the faith; I don’t know that what I’ve been told from Catholic Answers is true, that disciples of a failed messiah simply gave up and looked for another one: Perhaps what skeptics have said is probable, that, being impressed with Jesus’ wondrous healing and inspirational teaching, they searched the Scriptures and found an explanation, with accounts of Jesus eating fish on the shore, miracles and mass conversions in Acts being propaganda.
Well, you don’t have to believe that the Bible is reliable…until an overwhelming number of scholars (skeptics and believers alike) tell you that it is. After that, you’re just being stubborn.

See, all you’re left with is saying, “What if…”, “What if…”, “What if…” again and again. But when you actually stop and examine what can be known with a high degree of certainty, then the pendulum begins to swing in a direction that apparently makes you very uncomfortable: the historical reliability of the Gospels.
My point isn’t that these natural explanations are to be preferred to assuming the Bible is true and assuming the Church’s tradition is true.
Oh? And why is that? Because that’s your preference?
I don’t understand why God values choosing to believe without reason or evidence – and please don’t miss my point: At a certain step in every argument leading to God that I have seen, there is at least one step that must be blindly assumed, even if there is evidence before or after that point. (For example, archeological evidence corroborating the Bible’s claims about places existing and people living there does not demonstrate that the events occurred there as described.) Why does God create us so finite, give us reason, insist that we rely on it for survival, and then take pleasure in our rejecting it to believe claims about Himself?
The question here is one of free will. Sure…God could make Himself undeniably known to you and to the whole world. However, He is infinitely more powerful than us and thus, we would not be free to choose to love and serve God if He revealed himself. We would be coerced into obeying him. That’s not real love.
Finally, my problem is that my suffering tips the balance against Christianity: On one end of the scale is a set of assumptions (in this case, that the Bible reliably presents history), and on the other end is the question of why my Heavenly Father is silently letting me suffer and not directly communicating with me (together with all the other problems in the world). The suffering makes the assumptions on which my faith is based look like wishful thinking.
The existence of suffering and pain is a stumbling block, to be sure. However, many positive things result from them, and if we did not experience pain and suffering, we would not have opportunity to grow. Paul noted this when he wrote:

Romans 5:2-4
2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope.
 
Well, obviously, I disagree. If you have a theory which explains ALL FIVE facts better than the resurrection, lay it out for us and we can discuss it.
Wait, what?! Do you really disagree that sometimes a situation is explained by multiple events rather than only one? This is obviously true, so I don’t see how you can disagree with it. For example, if I show up at a gas station without my wallet, without a car, and with a coffee stain on my shirt after running out of gas, tripping and spilling coffee on myself, and getting robbed walking to the gas station, then the situation is explained by these three events, and we need not (and should not!) seek only one event to account for all three details.

Similarly, the Resurrection, by definition, is Jesus coming back to life with a better body, such that the tomb no longer contains His corpse. This event does not explain the Disciples’ sudden belief: His appearances to them do, and His appearances are separate events.

It bothers me that I must spend time writing this out, because I think it should be obvious, and because I do not have the time to spend on this. It also feels like bickering.
Is that the testimony of Paul himself in his letter to the Galatians?
The theory I presented is not. Perhaps I should say that in school we learn a literary device called “the unreliable narrator”. While it is used by authors in fiction, it also can occur in historical documents, where the author is not to be trusted for some reason. For example, in Hitler’s Mein Kampf, I understand he makes a number of fact assertions that scholars say are delusional or false. So what St. Paul wrote is not true simply because he wrote it down: It is true only if it happened.
And why should we believe the authors of the gospels? You mean other than the facts that they wrote early, they were eyewitnesses, they have been proven to be stunningly accurate in their accounts by archaeological evidence or that they had nothing to gain by lying?
Eyewitnesses can be mistaken and misled, proof that the place existed is not proof the event occurred (see Dan Brown’s Da Vinci Code for an example), and how do I know they had nothing to gain by lying? (To underscore this question, we see in the Bible that the early Christian communities were sharing property in common, so it actually appears they could gain material benefit by lying, as false prophets tend to do.)
Well, you don’t have to believe that the Bible is reliable…until an overwhelming number of scholars (skeptics and believers alike) tell you that it is. After that, you’re just being stubborn.
I don’t have such a list. Indeed, the thought comes to mind that I’ve heard from skeptics on YouTube: The majority of Biblical scholars study the Bible because they are Christian. So that they report that a claim of miracle is worthy of belief is a result of their faith, not their scholarship – and their scholarship, by definition, can only comment on language (e.g. wordplay), archeology, and historical documents (what texts there are and what they say). Whether an author should be believed appears to be rather a matter of personal opinion, independent of scholarship and dependent on personal philosophy. Hence Richard Carrier, being a naturalist, doesn’t believe any miracle claim; I would guess that most Biblical scholars, being Christian, tend to believe miracle claims until given reason to disbelieve them. My points here are that I don’t see a consensus of objective opinion, nor do I see anything beyond personal philosophy determining whether a miracle story ought to be believed.

I’m tired of arguing; I’ve demonstrated that the atheist has justification for disbelieving that is not easily refuted. My initial point was that every argument I’ve seen for the existence of God rests on assumptions, uncertain premises, and I don’t recall anything you’ve said that demonstrates there are no uncertain premises here. The historical record itself is uncertain: How do we know that the Bible is 100% factual? If it’s not 100% factual, then how do we know the Resurrection occurred as described? Which variant of the Resurrection story actually happened? (They differ between the Gospels.) How do we know the devil can’t raise someone from the dead, and that the Disciples weren’t working off the power of demons as Roy Schoeman says the Babylonian Talmud reports?
See, all you’re left with is saying, “What if…”, “What if…”, “What if…” again and again. But when you actually stop and examine what can be known with a high degree of certainty, then the pendulum begins to swing in a direction that apparently makes you very uncomfortable: the historical reliability of the Gospels.
It doesn’t make me uncomfortable; to the contrary, it would bring me some comfort. Part of my discomfort is lacking this evidence, hence being required to assume it in the dearth of evidence. You tell me to ‘actually stop and examine what can be known’ with reasonable certainty, but I’m not sure what you’re referring to. Perhaps I’ll browse the thread again to check (I’ve been terribly busy so I might have forgotten), or perhaps you could summarize this knowledge. I am concerned, though, that perhaps what you are saying can be known with reasonable certainty I have in fact demonstrated to be uncertain.
Oh? And why is that? Because that’s your preference?
It appears you misunderstood what I wrote, e.g. reading “is” where I wrote “isn’t”.
 
The question here is one of free will. Sure…God could make Himself undeniably known to you and to the whole world. However, He is infinitely more powerful than us and thus, we would not be free to choose to love and serve God if He revealed himself. We would be coerced into obeying him. That’s not real love.
I don’t understand this argument on two fronts. First, didn’t God make Himself “undeniably known” to the Israelites via the Exodus and immediately thereafter? Yet they were free to choose to love and serve God, or to rebel. Second, I thought love was willing the good of the other (and doing what was in one’s power to help them achieve it), so it’s not related to keeping them in a state of uncertainty.
The existence of suffering and pain is a stumbling block, to be sure. However, many positive things result from them,
It appears to me good occurs in spite of suffering, not because of it. Indeed, often when I suffer I can do nothing until the suffering passes.
if we did not experience pain and suffering, we would not have opportunity to grow.
I do not think this is true, and the growth of children serves as proof by contradiction: They normally do not experience pain when their bones expand and muscles grow larger. This is proof that growth can occur without pain and suffering. If that’s too mundane, look to the Blessed Virgin: Did she not grow in motherhood without suffering childbirth? Or you can look to countless other human interactions, e.g. the marital embrace, where a couple grows in love through pleasure instead of through suffering.
Paul noted this when he wrote:

we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope.
This is a poor example, because perseverance is nothing more than outlasting suffering. The ability to outlive suffering is not a good reason for suffering to exist; I hope nothing more needs to be said on this point. Likewise, hope is nothing but the desire for suffering to cease. It’s not clear to me what is meant by character, and again, I think God can create character without suffering. Do you suppose the angels are all emotionless, vapid robots? Or, taking a step back (especially since I don’t know that angels haven’t suffered), I simply don’t know what is meant by “character”.
 
Wait, what?! Do you really disagree that sometimes a situation is explained by multiple events rather than only one? This is obviously true, so I don’t see how you can disagree with it. For example, if I show up at a gas station without my wallet, without a car, and with a coffee stain on my shirt after running out of gas, tripping and spilling coffee on myself, and getting robbed walking to the gas station, then the situation is explained by these three events, and we need not (and should not!) seek only one event to account for all three details.
Yet, you’re neglecting Occam’s Razor: if a simpler explanation holds up, then we prefer it to a more complicated, convoluted explanation. If there’s one explanation that fits the five observations well, then we must prefer it to five explanations. In fact, we should “seek only one event to account” for our observations, if we’re able to do so. It’s disappointing that we need to explain this to you; it should be obvious. It seems like so much bickering… 😉
The theory I presented is not. Perhaps I should say that in school we learn a literary device called “the unreliable narrator”. While it is used by authors in fiction, it also can occur in historical documents, where the author is not to be trusted for some reason. For example, in Hitler’s Mein Kampf, I understand he makes a number of fact assertions that scholars say are delusional or false. So what St. Paul wrote is not true simply because he wrote it down: It is true only if it happened.
Fair enough. Why do you cast Paul as an “unreliable narrator”, then? After all, you wouldn’t make that claim about any and all narrators… unless you had reason to disbelieve their narrative. With Hitler, you can make a reasonable case; without a case, though, you cannot simply throw out a narrator because other unreliable narrators exist!
Eyewitnesses can be mistaken and misled
Agreed. And therefore, we always make an analysis of the believability of their eyewitness accounts. Again (and it’s becoming a constant theme, it seems, with your objections): one does not throw out evidence, a priori, without examining the evidence but merely claiming that other evidence is unreliable and therefore the evidence at hand must be suspect. 🤷
how do I know they had nothing to gain by lying?
Perhaps by providing a counterexample, demonstrating concretely what it is that they had to gain? 🤷
(To underscore this question, we see in the Bible that the early Christian communities were sharing property in common, so it actually appears they could gain material benefit by lying, as false prophets tend to do.)
Actually, we see in the Bible that lying led to adverse consequences, not benefit. Look up “Ananias and Sapphira” for the normative example. 😉
The majority of Biblical scholars study the Bible because they are Christian. So that they report that a claim of miracle is worthy of belief is a result of their faith, not their scholarship
Poor foundation and worse logic. Here’s your counter-example: the majority of meterologists study meterology because they have a vested interest in the weather where they live. So, their reports of “a warm, sunny weekend!” are a result of their vested interest, not their scholarship.

See? The claim just doesn’t hold up. But, it’s a pretty cute ad hominem attack, if you’re into those sorts of things… 👍
My points here are that I don’t see a consensus of objective opinion, nor do I see anything beyond personal philosophy determining whether a miracle story ought to be believed.
That works pretty well, when you’re the sole arbiter of what ‘objective opinion’ is and whether 'personal philosophy determine" conclusions, eh? 🤷
I’m tired of arguing; I’ve demonstrated that the atheist has justification for disbelieving that is not easily refuted.
It really is easily refuted. You can – quite effectively – claim that one cannot simply make claims without substantiation… but your ‘demonstrations for justification’ themselves are largely ‘claims without substantiation.’ If you can’t see that, then I can understand why this discussion is tiring for you… 🤷
The historical record itself is uncertain: How do we know that the Bible is 100% factual? If it’s not 100% factual, then how do we know the Resurrection occurred as described?
Can you see that your objections can be made for every event in history? Are you really claiming that no events have occurred in history, because we can’t conclude “100% factual” for any of them, or because there are variants in the descriptions? C’mon, now… you’re smarter than that, right? You know that these claims, on their own as simple bald assertions, don’t prove your point… don’t you?
 
Wait, what?! Do you really disagree that sometimes a situation is explained by multiple events rather than only one? This is obviously true, so I don’t see how you can disagree with it. For example, if I show up at a gas station without my wallet, without a car, and with a coffee stain on my shirt after running out of gas, tripping and spilling coffee on myself, and getting robbed walking to the gas station, then the situation is explained by these three events, and we need not (and should not!) seek only one event to account for all three details.
Gee, do I get to reference Occam’s Razor which atheists are fond of using against me? 😛

The Resurrection of Jesus explains all five minimal facts in a way that none of your theories do.
Similarly, the Resurrection, by definition, is Jesus coming back to life with a better body, such that the tomb no longer contains His corpse. This event does not explain the Disciples’ sudden belief: His appearances to them do, and His appearances are separate events.
The Resurrection of Jesus explains:

  1. *]why the tomb was empty,
    *]why the disciples became emboldened,
    *]why Paul converted to Christianity,
    *]why James became a believer and
    *]why the Jews claimed that the disciples had stolen the body.

    If you have a theory that can cover this much ground, let’s hear it.
    It bothers me that I must spend time writing this out, because I think it should be obvious, and because I do not have the time to spend on this. It also feels like bickering.
    You don’t have to type a thing. You can just read the solid material I’m presenting, if you like.
    The theory I presented is not. Perhaps I should say that in school we learn a literary device called “the unreliable narrator”. While it is used by authors in fiction, it also can occur in historical documents, where the author is not to be trusted for some reason. For example, in Hitler’s Mein Kampf, I understand he makes a number of fact assertions that scholars say are delusional or false. So what St. Paul wrote is not true simply because he wrote it down: It is true only if it happened.
    And Paul is obviously making some effort to convince us that what he is saying is true by referring to:

    1. *]his own personal eyewitness experience of the resurrected Jesus
      *]what he learned from other eyewitnesses in Jerusalem
      *]the 500+ eyewitnesses that he knows to be available for consultation.

      Now, if all we had to go on was his own testimony, that would be questionable. But we have a lot more than that. Consequently, Paul appears to be a credible witness.
      Eyewitnesses can be mistaken and misled, proof that the place existed is not proof the event occurred (see Dan Brown’s Da Vinci Code for an example),
      Sure. Now, explain in detail how this occurred so that we can evaluate the plausibility of your theory.
      and how do I know they had nothing to gain by lying? (To underscore this question, we see in the Bible that the early Christian communities were sharing property in common, so it actually appears they could gain material benefit by lying, as false prophets tend to do.)
      :rotfl:

      Yeah, Matthew left his lucrative job as a tax collector and Peter, Andrew, James and John left their family fishing businesse just so they could live off the donations people made to the Church. :rolleyes:

      And Paul…the rising star of the Sanhedrin…what was his motivation for giving up a promising career as a Pharisee in order to be beaten and imprisoned in every city he visited for nearly 30 years?

      🤷
 
I don’t understand this argument on two fronts. First, didn’t God make Himself “undeniably known” to the Israelites via the Exodus and immediately thereafter? Yet they were free to choose to love and serve God, or to rebel. Second, I thought love was willing the good of the other (and doing what was in one’s power to help them achieve it), so it’s not related to keeping them in a state of uncertainty.
Did God make himself undeniably known to the Egyptians? So, both the Israelites and the Egyptians had reasons to believe in the God of Israel. Interesting, BOTH groups failed to obey Him at one time or another.

But your argument seems to be that since God did big miracles like this in the past, it’s not fair that he doesn’t do them for your (or our) benefit today.

Is that it? 🤷
It appears to me good occurs in spite of suffering, not because of it. Indeed, often when I suffer I can do nothing until the suffering passes.
Some does, no question. But you don’t get a Maximilian Kolbe without an Auschwitz.
I do not think this is true, and the growth of children serves as proof by contradiction: They normally do not experience pain when their bones expand and muscles grow larger. This is proof that growth can occur without pain and suffering. If that’s too mundane, look to the Blessed Virgin: Did she not grow in motherhood without suffering childbirth? Or you can look to countless other human interactions, e.g. the marital embrace, where a couple grows in love through pleasure instead of through suffering.
Obviously, I’m not speaking of physical growth. :rolleyes:

We don’t learn to be charitable until we see others in need. We don’t learn courage in the absence of fear.
This is a poor example, because perseverance is nothing more than outlasting suffering. The ability to outlive suffering is not a good reason for suffering to exist; I hope nothing more needs to be said on this point. Likewise, hope is nothing but the desire for suffering to cease. It’s not clear to me what is meant by character, and again, I think God can create character without suffering. Do you suppose the angels are all emotionless, vapid robots? Or, taking a step back (especially since I don’t know that angels haven’t suffered), I simply don’t know what is meant by “character”.
If you’re speaking of simply waiting for a headache to go away, then sure…a low-view of perseverance like that doesn’t mean much.

But Paul is speaking of Perseverance that is MUCH more than merely outlasting the suffering. Perseverance is not quitting in spite of the pain or the setbacks which tempt us to give up.

So, when someone says, “He is a man of fine character”, you honestly have no idea what is meant by that expression? 🤷
 
Randy and Gorgias, I have not found your responses helpful, and you have apparently overlooked or ignored several points I made. I cannot afford to spend time repeating myself. But, since I’m desperate for help …
Why do you cast Paul as an “unreliable narrator”, then?
My point is about what we can actually know from history. Because I do not have access to the full picture, what his opponents were saying – Acts says the Jews convinced the crowd that he was wrong on multiple occasions, but I have no knowledge of what they actually said – I cannot know that what he was saying was correct. It’s like listening to what our politicians are saying, but without hearing “the other side”, we cannot determine how accurate they are presenting the situation.
Can you see that your objections can be made for every event in history? Are you really claiming that no events have occurred in history, because we can’t conclude “100% factual” for any of them, or because there are variants in the descriptions?
That we cannot directly observe or experience historical truth claims does limit our certainty of the past, yes. We can only hold claims of knowledge with varying probabilities. Usually we cannot know the past like we know our own experience.
explain in detail how this occurred so that we can evaluate the plausibility of your theory.
For example, light was failing when they buried Jesus in the tomb, and the women, exhausted, mistook the location of the tomb. They then went to the wrong place on Sunday and found the tomb empty. It’s even possible the burial cloths lying there were clean, and placed there in storage from a different family who owned the tomb.

You’re wrong to think that Occam’s Razor suggests that one event is necessarily a better explanation than multiple events. That’s a misapplication of it.
Yeah, Matthew left his lucrative job as a tax collector and Peter, Andrew, James and John left their family fishing businesse just so they could live off the donations people made to the Church.
Matthew may have had political reasons for not returning to his job as tax collector (perhaps he couldn’t get the job back after he’d left it; perhaps he had his fill of death threats); we don’t know how successful they were as fisherman – and perhaps being a false prophet made for a more comfortable living than the sun-scorching manual labor of fishing. I’ve seen cult leaders (Protestant pastors) in Pennsylvania who seemed to make a fair living by misleading others.
And Paul…the rising star of the Sanhedrin…what was his motivation for giving up a promising career as a Pharisee in order to be beaten and imprisoned in every city he visited for nearly 30 years?
You’re overstating the case for Paul in two ways: We don’t know “in every city”; indeed, sometimes he is welcomed warmly. Again, we don’t know how often he was actually beaten. Finally, this “rising star of the Sanhedrin” appears entirely based off Biblical commentary you’ve read. It’s possible for someone to have a great teacher but still be a lousy student. It’s even possible to graduate from a great school and be unable to get a job in your chosen career – at least today, and I don’t know how different then was.

I hope very much this response helps you.
your argument seems to be that since God did big miracles like this in the past, it’s not fair that he doesn’t do them for your (or our) benefit today. Is that it?
I suppose you have conceded that God can reveal Himself to us without removing our free will. That is my point: I want God to actually be my Father, not some silent absent figure I pray to in vain. That means interacting with me, talking with me, comforting me, not being so far removed that it appears He’s not even there.
But you don’t get a Maximilian Kolbe without an Auschwitz.
Responses like this make me angry with you, and make me want to stop corresponding with you, because you utterly ignore my point only to repeat platitudes. Again, you’ve just said, “You don’t get someone who suffered great evil without there being great evil.” This is a bad argument. Stop making it. “He sacrificed his own life to save someone else!” So what? His choosing to help someone else does not make reality better than it would have been if the evil wasn’t there. It was a glimmer of goodness in a pit of darkness, not something that completely overwhelmed the darkness making us grateful for it.
So, when someone says, “He is a man of fine character”, you honestly have no idea what is meant by that expression?
It means the speaker likes him. It doesn’t mean anything in particular other than that, because that expression can be applied to anyone, both Christians and anti-Christians, if the speaker likes him.

Focus on your point: “suffering produces character”. You must explain what that means, and how that whatever-it-is could not exist otherwise. However, we are now off-topic, and that should be discussed in another thread.

The topic of this thread is that belief in the Resurrection as a matter of history rests on assumptions: It is not a premise we can hold with certainty apart from private revelation, God revealing Himself to us.

I am now in a bad mood from spending so much time typing at a computer screen trying to get you both to see reason, and arguing here is undermining my faith. (I am tempted to think that God does not exist, because if He did, surely His providence would have me met with better responses.) If I am continually placed in this situation, I think I will be forced to stop coming here entirely, to spend my time and energy in what seems a more constructive way.
 
The further removed we are from an event, the more evidence reason requires for certainty. We don’t have sufficient evidence to know what happened surrounding Jesus: We must assume that the Gospel writers are reliable. Likewise, we don’t even know how many disciples there were or how they all died: We must assume Church tradition is accurate declaring that they were martyred for their witness. Regarding the missing body, historian Bart Ehrman has argued* it is possible that Jesus was buried in a common grave after being picked by scavenger birds left on the cross for days, common for victims of Roman crucifixion.

How did Christianity get started if the Resurrection didn’t actually happen? Does Mormonism not demonstrate the answer? This cult of Joseph Smith gained traction despite apparently not having the claimed miraculous origin, together with witnesses testifying to it like the Apostles. It is worth noting that the Roman Empire was in decline and religion in flux. The same is true of America today; perhaps a thousand years from now Mormonism will have grown in strength similarly, and people then will declare, “It never would’ve gotten started if it wasn’t true!”

In summary, the argument from the Resurrection for the existence of God is uncertain, because it rests on the uncertain premise that the Gospels (and New Testament miracle accounts) are true literal history.

Please answer this rebuttal. I would like to be proven wrong. Please cite sources for claims of fact.
  • See his debates on YouTube.
one answer is Martyrs.

I’ll give you just one example.

St Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch, ordained by the apostles, direct disciple of John the apostle. Ignatius is arrested and is on his way to Rome to be thrown to the lions for his faith.

On his way to be martyred, Ignatius wrote 6 letters to the Church in 6 locations. To the Church of Rome, he writes

Chapter 4. Allow me to fall a prey to the wild beasts

“I write to the Churches, and impress on them all, that I shall willingly die for God, unless you hinder me. I beseech of you not to show an unseasonable good-will towards me. Allow me to become food for the wild beasts, through whose instrumentality it will be granted me to attain to God. I am the wheat of God, and let me be ground by the teeth of the wild beasts, that I may be found the pure bread of Christ. Rather entice the wild beasts, that they may become my tomb, and may leave nothing of my body; so that when I have fallen asleep [in death], I may be no trouble to any one. Then shall I truly be a disciple of Christ, when the world shall not see so much as my body. Entreat Christ for me, that by these instruments I may be found a sacrifice [to God]. I do not, as Peter and Paul, issue commandments unto you. They were apostles; I am but a condemned man: they were free, while I am, even until now, a servant. But when I suffer, I shall be the freed-man of Jesus, and shall rise again emancipated in Him. And now, being a prisoner, I learn not to desire anything worldly or vain.”
Epistle to the Romans

Look at that language. All he had to do is renounce his faith and he would live. He wouldn’t do it. People don’t do what he is going to do for something they know is a lie. He’s looking at a horrific death. Lions don’t kill their prey quickly. He knows that. They start eating while their pray is still alive… screaming in horrific pain.

This is about 70 years after the life death and resurrection of Jesus. This is about 7 years after John the apostle dies, who he was a direct disciple of.

People don’t do what Ignatius did, for something they know is a lie.
 
steve, thank you for the great post.

Questions that come to mind are: How do we know his teacher taught him the truth? How do we know his example was not radical? (That is, there are extremists today who belong to what appears to be a false cult who are willing to be martyred.)

You say that people are not martyred for something known to be false, but it is not apparent that he would have had any knowledge of its falseness if it were false. He also could have ignored those who tried to show him how what he’d been taught was false, just as many Mohammedans today ignore Christian apologetics, some of whom then go off to what they think is martyrdom.

Randy criticized my “what if, what if” arguments earlier because he did not see that they were demonstrating the problem of history: I have only seen a few glimpses of that reality under the carpet of time, these historical documents being holes bored into it, and what remains hidden could change the necessary interpretation of what is seen. I mean to say what I have already said, that I don’t have the whole picture, so while your presentation of St. Ignatius is inspiring to those with faith (= those assuming that the teaching he received was incontrovertibly true), it remains ambiguous to those who withhold judgment until they’ve seen the entire picture.

So my problem appears to be philosophical: It appears to me that we can only hold likely beliefs about ancient history, but that we cannot have knowledge about it, because there is too much we don’t know: It appears always possible for some revolutionary fact to come to light – or if it doesn’t come to light, that some other equally possible set of events leaving the same artifacts could have occurred.

I spoke about this earlier: Instead of the Gospel being literal history of all the Disciples coming to believe after Jesus appears to them after women find the tomb empty, the Gospel could be propaganda left by a minority of Disciples who reinterpreted the Old Testament after women mistook the tomb’s location – and both series of events leave the same artifacts. Additional information, namely, what the early Christians’ critics were saying, is needed to eliminate one of these two possible sets.

So in this case: Either the Christian narrative surrounding St. Ignatius is true, or he was an extremist who ignored the Jews warning him with sound arguments about his teacher’s false message, for example. I would need additional data (more on what he was saying, what his critics were saying, what his teacher was saying) to eliminate one of these possible histories.

Perhaps that summarizes it: It appears to me that history is essentially a “game of multiple choice” where you use historical data to eliminate hypothetical sets of events that do not match the data. Whatever remaining hypothetical sets of events match the data we can believe happened. I would say that we can only ‘know’ history if we experienced it, though: If we can only think of one possible set of events to explain a set of historical data, as Randy claims, then we can say we’re ‘reasonably certain’ or that we ‘believe it on very good grounds’, but we still can’t say we ‘know’ it, because we haven’t experienced it.

(Note that this is not scientism: I am not saying that any true statement must be empirically verifiable.)
 
steve, thank you for the great post.

Questions that come to mind are: How do we know his teacher taught him the truth? How do we know his example was not radical? (That is, there are extremists today who belong to what appears to be a false cult who are willing to be martyred.)

You say that people are not martyred for something known to be false, but it is not apparent that he would have had any knowledge of its falseness if it were false.
The only apostle to live out his life to old age and not martyred was John. But John knew all the apostles and they knew him. Think about this, Peter was crucified on Vatican Hill under emperor Nero in ~67 a.d… Peter said he was unworthy to be crucified in the same way Jesus was crucified, so Peter was crucified upside down. The suffering of that is beyond my imagination.

with the exception of Judas, All the apostles were eyewitness to Jesus resurrection, and His ascension back to heaven. People don’t give up their lives in horrible agonies for a lie.
e:
He also could have ignored those who tried to show him how what he’d been taught was false, just as many Mohammedans today ignore Christian apologetics, some of whom then go off to what they think is martyrdom.
the eyewitness factor of the apostles is undeniable.
e:
my problem appears to be philosophical: It appears to me that we can only hold likely beliefs about ancient history, but that we cannot have knowledge about it, because there is too much we don’t know: It appears always possible for some revolutionary fact to come to light – or if it doesn’t come to light, that some other equally possible set of events leaving the same artifacts could have occurred.

I spoke about this earlier: Instead of the Gospel being literal history of all the Disciples coming to believe after Jesus appears to them after women find the tomb empty, the Gospel could be propaganda left by a minority of Disciples who reinterpreted the Old Testament after women mistook the tomb’s location – and both series of events leave the same artifacts. Additional information, namely, what the early Christians’ critics were saying, is needed to eliminate one of these two possible sets.

So in this case: Either the Christian narrative surrounding St. Ignatius is true, or he was an extremist who ignored the Jews warning him with sound arguments about his teacher’s false message, for example. I would need additional data (more on what he was saying, what his critics were saying, what his teacher was saying) to eliminate one of these possible histories.

Perhaps that summarizes it:

(Note that this is not scientism: I am not saying that any true statement must be empirically verifiable.)
I think Aquinas said it well

For those who have faith no explanation is required, for those without faith no explanation is sufficient.

Applying that statement with an actual case

Jesus didn’t win every case He presented to people. IMV the classic is Jn 6. Jesus gave the bread of life discourse to followers He fed the day prior, ( Jesus fed the 5000 with just a few loaves and fish). As Paul Harvey used to say, “and now the rest of the story” John 6:46-68

The one speaking here to them, is the one who spoke in the beginning, and all that is, came into being. Given that HUGE reality, did Jesus win His point with them? Nope! They left Him saying who could believe THAT!

But Jesus already knew in advance these guys had no faith.

"[65] But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning, who they were that did not believe,…"

To Aquinas point, not even God can convince someone of some truth if they don’t have faith. And God gave us free will, and He doesn’t override it.

So to that point, one could validly ask, why then did Jesus, knowing this in advance about THEM, even bother wasting His breath trying to convince them of this truth?

The answer is, to show US that we won’t win every point either. Particularly when one has no faith that you’re talking to. So we put that into perspective,. God gave us all free will and He forces no one to believe. He forces no one to obey against their will. Faith is a gift from God. If one doesn’t have faith then all one has to do is ask for it. God won’t deny THAT request 1 Timothy 2:4. 🙂

However, AFTER one has faith, they can’t just sit on it and do nothing with it. They need to make it increase, or they will fall…i.e. they will lose it.

As Peter taught

2 Pet 1: 5 For this very reason make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, 6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, 7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For whoever lacks these things is blind and shortsighted and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins. 10 Therefore, brethren, be the more zealous to confirm your call and election, for if you do this you will never fall; 11 so there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
 
steve, thank you for the great post.

Questions that come to mind are: How do we know his teacher taught him the truth? How do we know his example was not radical? (That is, there are extremists today who belong to what appears to be a false cult who are willing to be martyred.)

You say that people are not martyred for something known to be false, but it is not apparent that he would have had any knowledge of its falseness if it were false.
So did the apostles lie about seeing him resurrected? :confused:
 
Instead of the Gospel being literal history of all the Disciples coming to believe after Jesus appears to them after women find the tomb empty, the Gospel could be propaganda left by a minority of Disciples who reinterpreted the Old Testament after women mistook the tomb’s location –
So this is essentially saying that the Disciples lied.

Why would they do this?

And why did no one recant?
 
Randy and Gorgias, I have not found your responses helpful
That might be because you’re looking for a particular answer, and not the one that fits the data… 😉
My point is about what we can actually know from history.
And yet, look at how you frame it up! Not what we ‘hear’ or ‘observe’, but what we know. In other words, despite the fact that there weren’t cameras and voice recorders blaring throughout all of history, we actually can say that we know things that happened in the past! And yet, it’s all too easy to pick those things to which we don’t want to assent, and trot out the standard retort, “but… we don’t know for sure…!”. 🤷
Because I do not have access to the full picture, what his opponents were saying – Acts says the Jews convinced the crowd that he was wrong on multiple occasions, but I have no knowledge of what they actually said – I cannot know that what he was saying was correct. It’s like listening to what our politicians are saying, but without hearing “the other side”, we cannot determine how accurate they are presenting the situation.
That doesn’t hold up to reason, either. We could equally reasonably say that his opponents were making ad hominem attacks or appealing to irrational arguments, and these were sufficient to turn the crowd. (I mean, after all, I think there’s at least one politician in the current U.S. Presidential race who does the same thing… and look at his popularity!)

No, we actually can assess the validity of an argument on its own merits, even if we don’t hear other arguments. Your claim doesn’t hold up. 🤷
That we cannot directly observe or experience historical truth claims does limit our certainty of the past, yes. We can only hold claims of knowledge with varying probabilities.
Yes – precisely! And, if we required 100%, incontrovertible, unassailable proof for every proposition… then we’d all be locked in our rooms, in fetal positions, quivering, and refusing to act on any proposition. That’s not what we as humans do. Rather, we look at the best data available and reach conclusions and make decisions and take action on that ‘best data available.’ Claiming that we can’t know the truth about the Gospels because they’re ancient history seems disingenuous to me, in the face of a myriad of other contexts in life in which we draw conclusions based on incomplete data… 🤷
For example, light was failing when they buried Jesus in the tomb, and the women, exhausted, mistook the location of the tomb. They then went to the wrong place on Sunday and found the tomb empty.
Fair enough… but it doesn’t hold up to reason. Eventually, someone would’ve said, “umm… ladies? He’s in Joseph of Arimathea’s tomb, not here. Go look there.” And, looking in the right place, they would’ve found him.
You’re wrong to think that Occam’s Razor suggests that one event is necessarily a better explanation than multiple events. That’s a misapplication of it.
Who said “one event over multiple events”? It’s “simple explanation over complex explanation”! The resurrection – while more mind-boggling! – is simpler than “wrong tomb” + “empty tomb” + “burial cloths despite unused tomb” + “nobody follows up and discovers it was the wrong tomb”… :rolleyes:
I suppose you have conceded that God can reveal Himself to us without removing our free will. That is my point: I want God to actually be my Father, not some silent absent figure I pray to in vain. That means interacting with me, talking with me, comforting me, not being so far removed that it appears He’s not even there.
Oh… so you want God to be a human father to you, and do all the things that a human would do and interact in ways that humans interact? I mean, it’s a wonderful desire, but… why is that a reasonable request?
I am now in a bad mood from spending so much time typing at a computer screen trying to get you both to see reason
My apologies that it’s put you in a bad mood. Here’s the thing, though: my perspective is that your arguments aren’t reasonable, and so, attempting to get me “to see reason” – where I see little – probably is futile. However, the whole point of these types of fora is to exchange ideas. Will we convince each other of our opposing viewpoints? Probably not. On the other hand, we’ll each get some real live interaction, and we’ll hear from a real live person who espouses these ideas, and we’ll be less likely to caricature the arguments in the future. That doesn’t mean that I’ll agree with your views – from my perspective, I’ve been able to offer counter-arguments to what you’ve expressed here, and I haven’t seen a whole lot of reasoned refutation to those counter-arguments. Still, it’s good to have the dialogue. If that makes you angry, though… 🤷
, and arguing here is undermining my faith. (I am tempted to think that God does not exist, because if He did, surely His providence would have me met with better responses.)
That’s a rather odd way of looking at it. Are all our personal failures the responsibility of God and His Providence? (After all, if God really existed, surely His Providence would have caused me to win the lottery… and if He existed, He would ensure that I have a good job, and a rich supermodel wife…)
 
I mean to say what I have already said, that I don’t have the whole picture, so while your presentation of St. Ignatius is inspiring to those with faith (= those assuming that the teaching he received was incontrovertibly true), it remains ambiguous to those who withhold judgment until they’ve seen the entire picture.
But, you yourself admit (with the ‘holes bored’ image) that there’s no way to “see the entire picture”. Does that mean that you hold all of history to be untrue? Would you hold that the Peloponnesian War didn’t take place, under the same rationale that you use for the Gospels?
So my problem appears to be philosophical: It appears to me that we can only hold likely beliefs about ancient history, but that we cannot have knowledge about it, because there is too much we don’t know: It appears always possible for some revolutionary fact to come to light – or if it doesn’t come to light, that some other equally possible set of events leaving the same artifacts could have occurred.
This isn’t an unreasonable argument… and yet, it seems to lead you to an unreasonable conclusion. Yes, it’s true that historical evidence is almost always incomplete, or told from a particular perspective, or open to interpretation. Yet, we do – nearly always! – hold to a particular interpretation. If you wanted to say “the simplest (yet most extraordinary) explanation is ‘resurrection’, and that’s the interpretation I’ll hold to, in the absence of any other reasonable explanation to the contrary”, then that would be just fine! However, throwing out other ‘possible’ (yet outlandish) conjectures, as if they diminished the elegance of the ‘resurrection’ interpretation… well, that seems unreasonable, doesn’t it?
Perhaps that summarizes it: It appears to me that history is essentially a “game of multiple choice” where you use historical data to eliminate hypothetical sets of events that do not match the data. Whatever remaining hypothetical sets of events match the data we can believe happened. I would say that we can only ‘know’ history if we experienced it, though: If we can only think of one possible set of events to explain a set of historical data, as Randy claims, then we can say we’re ‘reasonably certain’ or that we ‘believe it on very good grounds’, but we still can’t say we ‘know’ it, because we haven’t experienced it.
That’s not unreasonable. And, when we reach that conclusion, we hold it to be the truth… and so, having examined the evidence and having reached a conclusion about it, we say that we have ‘knowledge’.
(Note that this is not scientism: I am not saying that any true statement must be empirically verifiable.)
Fair enough. 👍
 
So did the apostles lie about seeing him resurrected? :confused:

Why would they do this?

And why did no one recant?
Let me clarify. As I said in a recent post, my understanding of history is that we have a set of hypothetical situations that might have happened, and then we must look at the historical data to see which hypothetical situations can be eliminated when trying to figure out what happened.

Part of this process involves evaluating the historical data: When we recover documents, we must ask what their authors meant to say and whether they were reliable.

So I’m not saying the Apostles all lied. I’m saying it’s no longer clear to me how reliable the Gospels are in depicting them as all seeing Jesus and all believing in His Resurrection, primarily because our lives now appear radically different than their lives then: Reality now appears godless. Whereas they were being miraculously healed, a woman was healed just for touching Jesus’ clothing, and evildoers were dying after receiving the Eucharist, today the Eucharist seems to have no physical effect on anyone; all miracles are unverifiable, etc. I want to stay on-topic; I’m simply giving the reason why the Bible’s reliability is suspect. Being written early with good archeology seems not enough to counter how different a reality it presents.

So to choose between the explanations ‘all the Disciples saw and believed’ and ‘the Gospel saying all the Disciples saw and believed is false propaganda’, we need more data than the Bible and a few second century martyrs.
No, we actually can assess the validity of an argument on its own merits, even if we don’t hear other arguments. Your claim doesn’t hold up.
You’re wrong to dismiss my argument. Yes we can assess its validity, but not its truthfulness or accuracy. Again, we need more detail – namely, a second perspective – to do the latter.
That’s not what we as humans do. Rather, we look at the best data available and reach conclusions and make decisions and take action on that ‘best data available.’ Claiming that we can’t know the truth about the Gospels because they’re ancient history seems disingenuous to me, in the face of a myriad of other contexts in life in which we draw conclusions based on incomplete data…
The point here is nuance. We require different degrees of certainty for different beliefs about reality. For example, apparently Prince has died. I will accept that headline at face value because I don’t care about him beyond the concern I have for men in general who die every day. Apparently a 2013 Eucharistic miracle was approved by the local bishop in Poland. That a Eucharistic miracle happened requires more evidence before consenting to believe because that doesn’t happen every day, so it’s less likely to be a true headline. The same nuance occurs with historical claims. Please understand this.
And, when we reach [the most likely] conclusion, we hold it to be the truth… and so, having examined the evidence and having reached a conclusion about it, we say that we have ‘knowledge’.
We certainly don’t call something ‘truth’ or ‘knowledge’ if it happens to be the best theory we can come up with. We call it ‘truth’ only if it actually matches reality, and ‘knowledge’ only if we actually saw it do so. (either physically or rationally)
Fair enough… but it doesn’t hold up to reason. Eventually, someone would’ve said, “umm… ladies? He’s in Joseph of Arimathea’s tomb, not here. Go look there.” And, looking in the right place, they would’ve found him.
This is a great point, thank you.

I would have to add to this theory that perhaps it was not a well-known tomb. For example, perhaps Joseph of Arimathea had acquired it recently and buried Jesus there secretly to keep his discipleship a secret, and then perhaps he died and the owner of the tomb the women mistook left the area (imprisoned or went to live elsewhere for a while) before the controversy over the tomb occurred. Thus people weren’t sure which tomb Jesus was buried in. There are other possible explanations, too; perhaps there was an earthquake or mudslide that destroyed some of the hillside, etc.

Ockham’s Razor must here be considered.
Isaac Newton stated the rule: “We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances.”
The most useful statement of the principle for scientists is “when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better.”
The problem is that we are dealing with history, not modeling an observation. Again, we have a set of hypothetical situations, and we must eliminate as many as we can given the data that we have. We cannot simply discard one possible past reality because it’s more complicated than another possible past reality. That would be committing the fallacy of assuming what we must prove (“begging the question”). Instead we’re stuck with the fact that either one of these scenarios could have given us the data that we have – until we get more data. For example, is there a historical record of what the Jews were saying in response to the Christians? If indeed they’re saying that they stole the body, then this does give preference to empty tomb. Why haven’t I seen Christian apologists cite these Jewish sources, rather than rely only on the Gospels?

Hence it is a matter of faith, aka one must make the assumptions that the Bible here is intended to be read literally and that it is correct, until one has a personal experience of God in a way confirming that message.
 
Who said “one event over multiple events”?
Randy did, multiple times. He is confused regarding two points. First, that the Resurrection is defined to include the appearances, rather than only refer to Jesus’ coming back to life in a glorious body replacing the corpse. Second, that Ockham’s razor can be used to eliminate possible past realities that contain more events than others. Thus he thinks that the one event of the Resurrection explains the five facts he’s asserted, and that another explanation of the past must likewise be at least as simple. (Did you not read every post in this thread so far?)
Oh… so you want God to be a human father to you, and do all the things that a human would do and interact in ways that humans interact? I mean, it’s a wonderful desire, but… why is that a reasonable request?
Do you suppose that only men can do what I described? I described what I understand fathers do by nature. It seems to me that if a man does it, then he’s being a human father; if God does it, then He’s being a divine Father. Perhaps you can give me a better definition of fatherhood, one that makes clear what it means for God to be Father.
Are all our personal failures the responsibility of God and His Providence?
It’s more the fact that I’m stranded in Japan and this forum is essentially my only means of getting spiritual direction. Jesus is supposed to be the Good Shepherd; I’m supposed to have the Holy Spirit with me, etc. It doesn’t make sense for me to be doing all I can to grow in holiness and wisdom and understanding and be left utterly in the dark, adrift without help or comfort – it would suggest the Holy Spirit isn’t doing what the Holy Spirit is named for. … and I do receive comfort and consolation, at times (or I suppose I would not be here right now). I certainly cannot declare that the Holy Spirit or a guardian angel isn’t helping me. However, I will say that I’m very unhappy and want more interaction and help than I’m getting.
But, you yourself admit (with the ‘holes bored’ image) that there’s no way to “see the entire picture”. Does that mean that you hold all of history to be untrue? Would you hold that the Peloponnesian War didn’t take place, under the same rationale that you use for the Gospels?
No, rather, I’m agnostic to whether many past events transpired as people say. As I tried to say earlier, I hold beliefs with conviction relative to my certainty. If I read about this P. war in a book, I’d say, “Okay, sure,” and if corrections were later printed, I’d shrug it off and believe them, too, because it makes no difference to my life. Extraordinary claims require extraordinarily good evidence; trivial claims require trivial evidence. (Of course I try to be scholarly about it, and at least see if the author is a historian or has cited sources.)
 
You’re wrong to dismiss my argument. Yes we can assess its validity, but not its truthfulness or accuracy.
Distinction without difference, I think I’d reply. You discussed ‘accuracy’ in your response to my question about why Paul might be considered an ‘unreliable narrator’ (which you never answered, by the way – you’re putting Paul up against Hitler in the ‘unreliable’ category, and then pulling a ‘bait-and-switch’ by stepping back from the ‘unreliable narrator’ hypothesis and then making the weaker claim of ‘incomplete evidence’ as if it proved ‘unreliable narrator’). But, I responded ‘validity’, rather than ‘accuracy’. Let me make myself clear, then: I’m claiming that you can have ‘validity’, ‘truthfulness’, ‘accuracy’, or whatever other noun you want to use, even if you only hear one story. (You might argue that it’s difficult to ascertain that we have accuracy, but that’s a different issue. Again, though, it would come down to the illative sense: does a person, having taken in all the available evidence, come to the conclusion that sufficient evidence has been offered in order to reach a reasonable conclusion? You claim ‘no’, but that says that you’re the final arbiter of what ‘sufficient evidence’ and ‘reasonable conclusions’ are. I think that’s not reasonable…)
Again, we need more detail – namely, a second perspective – to do the latter.
And I would respond that this is too broad a statement. You’re telling me that, if I tried to convince you that the moon landings were actually historically factual, that you wouldn’t be able to determine the truth of my argument unless you heard someone else argue against it? Then you’re not interested in ‘truth’ so much as ‘controversy’ (and the determination of a better argument between two that are being contested).
The point here is nuance. We require different degrees of certainty for different beliefs about reality. For example, apparently Prince has died. I will accept that headline at face value because I don’t care about him beyond the concern I have for men in general who die every day.
That’s not an argument about ‘truth’, though: that’s an argument about your personal involvement in a narrative. You seem to think you’re making an argument about ‘belief in reality’, when really, your example is just making an argument about how much a fact matters to you (i.e., when it doesn’t matter, you can blithely ignore it without consequence).
Apparently a 2013 Eucharistic miracle was approved by the local bishop in Poland. That a Eucharistic miracle happened requires more evidence before consenting to believe because that doesn’t happen every day so it’s less likely to be a true headline.
Prince dying “doesn’t happen every day”, either. 😉

And, the fact that this headline only appeared once doesn’t make Prince’s death any less true (or believable).
The same nuance occurs with historical claims. Please understand this.
A different nuance occurs with historical claims. But, since you’re the one making the counter-argument and trying to convince me that my argument doesn’t hold, I’ll let you take another stab at it… 😉
We certainly don’t call something ‘truth’ or ‘knowledge’ if it happens to be the best theory we can come up with. We call it ‘truth’ only if it actually matches reality
Yep. And so, “flat earth” was ‘truth’ (until disproven), and people believed in it (reasonably and rationally); same thing with “spontaneous generation.” Same thing with myriads of examples from history: until disproven, the best explanation to fit the available facts is held to be true… unless and until a better explanation appears. As I’ve been asserting, we don’t withhold the judgment of truth until we have a 100% bulletproof case – which is what you’re trying to claim should prevent us from believing the Gospels. 🤷
, and ‘knowledge’ only if we actually saw it do so. (either physically or rationally)
Unless I misunderstand what you’re saying here, it seems that you’re making a claim about “rationally seeing” an event? Could you elaborate what this means, and what you’re claiming here (vis-a-vis knowledge)?
I would have to add to this theory that perhaps it was not a well-known tomb.
But see, you’re hurting your case here: you’re adding wilder and wilder unsubstantiated claims (“not well-known”, “owner of mistaken tomb dead or jailed”, “earthquake”, “mudslide”)! By doing so, you’re creating a ‘Rube Goldberg’ explanation that gets less and less believable – and only so that you might have an alternate to an explanation that’s simpler! In other words, you really are tweaking Occam’s nose!
 
(con’t…)
The problem is that we are dealing with history, not modeling an observation. Again, we have a set of hypothetical situations, and we must eliminate as many as we can given the data that we have. We cannot simply discard one possible past reality because it’s more complicated than another possible past reality. That would be committing the fallacy of assuming what we must prove (“begging the question”).
And yet, you’re creating hypothetical situations out of whole cloth! And then, to add insult to injury, demanding that they be considered with the same seriousness as an explanation with better attestation and provenance! No, that’s not “begging the question”: that’s wading in a pool of red herrings. 😉 (And, in fact, ‘begging the question’ is something completely different, too. 😉 )
Hence it is a matter of faith, aka one must make the assumptions that the Bible here is intended to be read literally and that it is correct
No. Since we’re talking about “history, not modeling an observation”, we’re using the same techniques that historians use to reach their conclusions. We don’t take their conclusions “on faith”, we examine their rationale and judge its reasonableness. Some will never be convinced, and that’s ok (if irrational).
until one has a personal experience of God in a way confirming that message.
Nope. One can believe the Gospel account without a ‘personal experience of God’. Why would you suggest otherwise?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top