J
JKirkLVNV
Guest
I think Cardinal Arinze spoke to this issue, but I cannot cite it. It was in an address, I believe, or an interview. Anyway, if I remember correctly, Cardinal Arinze said that those who did NOT wish to hold hands were not to be imposed upon. It’s not a position that has a tradition in our church. I think he mentioned that if one wished to hold the hand of a loved one (a child, a spouse, a beloved, whatever), that was natural and ok. The expectation that everyone was going to form a continuous daisy chain was not. He also made a point of saying that unity was expressed anyway during the Sign of Peace and that this was not the point in the liturgy for such an expression. I avoid this by folding my hands in front of me or holding on to the pew in front of me. I’m perfectly willing to exchange the sign of peace with my immediate neighbors, so I hope they don’t think I’m copping an attitude during the Lord’s Prayer.