Holy Spirit leads one to correct understanding when reading Scripture?

• Thread starter Thread starter LuciusMaximus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good points. My denomination, Pentecostalism, relies on Sola Scriptura, then, since nothing is given any credence unless it’s explicitly given in the literal sense in Scripture - a position that I find increasingly illogical, ahistorical, and untenable.
The part I bolded is the flaw, in my opinion, and not part of the traditional / classical understanding of sola scriptura.
From the Lutheran Confessions:
Other writings, however, of ancient or modern teachers, whatever name they bear, must not be regarded as equal to the Holy Scriptures, but all of them together be subjected to them, and should not be received otherwise or further than as witnesses, [which are to show] in what manner after the time of the apostles, and at what places, this [pure] doctrine of the prophets and apostles was preserved.
3] 2. And because directly after the times of the apostles, and even while they were still living, false teachers and heretics arose, and symbols, i. e., brief, succinct [categorical] confessions, were composed against them in the early Church, which were regarded as the unanimous, universal Christian faith and confession of the orthodox and true Church, namely, the Apostles’ Creed, the Nicene Creed, and the Athanasian Creed, we pledge ourselves to them, and hereby reject all heresies and dogmas which, contrary to them, have been introduced into the Church of God.
A final norm is not the only norm. It is the norm that norms but is not normed. There are other norms, Tradition.

Got it. Whatever it is that my church follows, it’s essentially “find me a chapter and verse or it’s not an authentic Christian teaching.”

Not every one has the same spiritual gifts and graces. Not everyone is an ordained deacon, presbyter (priest) or bishop. Almighty God doesn’t give the same gifts to each person or even to each generation. That is why we need the communion of saints and to learn from gifted and graced people of the past. In the Body of Christ, we have dependencies upon Christ the Head and upon members of the Body and upon the Church The Holy Spirit shouldn’t need to give the same insight a million times to a million people. If he gives something once and it is shared to one person graced to be an influence with the truth, then it spreads from that one-time gift to one person. Love is a wonderful thing and it includes sharing and giving.

Saint Paul
#2 Timothy 2:15
King James Version

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Follow the instructions of saint Paul

Galatians 3 King James Version (KJV)​

3 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Does that concern you? I can’t help but wonder if your thinking of crossing the Tiber (Thinking of being Catholic). The Catholic Church’s unofficial credo is “Faith and Reason” there should always be a reason for what you believe. I personally don’t have enough faith to depend on my own personal interpretation of the whole Bible which is why the Catholic Church is so great.

It would be fair to say that I have the Tiber in my sights. Prayer will get me across, or not. I’ll try discerning where the Holy Spirit leads me.

Some will plead against your conversion - a sort of ‘team loyalty’ (IMO) instead of a search for the truth. History is squarely against the ‘reforms’ of the reform.

If you have not, have a watch of the a few of the conversion stories on The Coming Home Network. They each trod the same path which you are treading. You will know that you are in good company.

I will pray for your conversion, but I will say this:

If you are ever convinced that the fullness of Truth is in the Catholic Church either now or in the future, I would advise that you commit to it. I say this because I think some withhold themselves from converting because of family ties, fear of separation, freedom of choices, and some because they think that converting will hurt the ones they love. This may be true. However, in the end God will judge you not by what others thought of you, but by what you knew to be true and did or didn’t do.

Follow your Conscience .

Proverbs 3: 5
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back