Holy Water Fonts in the home

• Thread starter Thread starter dumspirospero
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have Holy Water fonts too. They do dry up quickly. I tend to use the little plastic Holy Water bottles more often. I sprinkle the house and then bless myself with it.

We have our priest bless this huge, beautiful cystal saki carafe that we never used for saki. We bring it in every few months for a new supply.

I have a home shrine and in the compartment I have holy water and blessed oil. I have been trying to load a picture of it and have been unable to.

We have one, but it is so dry here that evaporation quickly gets all the blessings. So we fill it once in awhile. But by our bedstand we keep a bottle of Holy Water. I usually bless my wife and myself with it before I go to work.

Sometimes I wake up in the night and she is sprinkling it on me, the dogs, the door and windows. She is very discerning and often knows when the enemy is up to something.

I also have a small vial of it at work; a public high school. I sometimes bless my room with it.

martha martha:
front door, under the keys (where i also have a maria goreti relic). my boss, who is Jewish, went to the Vatican on vacation and brought me back amazing gifts…one was a hand-made, hand-painted holy water font. gorgeous.

i call my decor early american sacristy.

🙂
Where did you get a Maria Goreti relic? I’d love to have one of her relics in my classroom. I work with teenagers. Boy, do they need her prayers.

+veritas+:
Another option that a friend uses is to go to the grocery store and buy gallon-jugs of drinking water and just have a priest bless the water still in the unopened jugs. They can then be stored unopened in a closet or something and pulled out as needed (mark them “Blessed” with permanent marker so no one accidently uses them!)

This might be a better option if your parish is not very up on holy water usage and the container for the public to get holy water from keeps going dry… some parishes, particularly smaller ones, don’t do well with multiple “high-demand” parishoners 🙂

Oh, and the sponge in the font is practically a necessity – at least for the small home-use fonts, otherwise the water is just there and gone in a day, or even a few hours when it is really hot out!

+veritas+
Holy Water needs salt to be considered holy water,otherwise it ain’t!

I have a Holy Water Font on the wall which separates the kitchen from the living room. You can’t miss seeing it, it is centrally located. I bought the font at St. Anthony’s Chapel while visiting Pittsburgh to see a Steelers game and celebrate my wedding anniversary. The font has the Blessed Mother with roses on her with arms outstretched to the Child Jesus. I have 2 plastic holy water bottles that I keep filled from our supply at church(stainless steel container with a tap). I love having a Holy Water Font at home, people do use it when they come over and some who are not Catholic are curious which always opens the door so I can talk about my faith!

40.png
katolik:
Hey guys, perhaps you should bet your salt blessed. I’m not kidding. It’s another sacramental separate from holy water.
see here www.kensmen.com/catholic/salt.html
I’ve got a whole thing of Morton’s salt that’s been blessed.

Whoa! I didn’t even know you could have something like a Holy Water Font in your home. I’ve never heard of it before. I’ll keep my eyes and ears open about this though.

Strangely I want a Holy Water Font now… I wonder why?

I could not answer since I don’t have font, but I have a bottle of holy water near my bed. I use every night to bless my room and myself.

I have a small spray bottle with a fine mist that I keep my Holy Water in. I had fonts but they dried up too quickly. I bought two small bottles to collect the water in and intended to use those, but the spray bottle conserves the water much better. No drips! Easy to bless myself, my children, a room…I haven’t had to get HW since July.🙂
Jasm
Pray, Hope, Don’t Worry!

Almost the last words of Jesus were “I thirst” (John 19.28) - he meant for our souls, of course, but also almost certainly for water. To help assuage his thirst I place a tiny glass of plain water before the crucifix in my home shrine every day.

But when I replace it with fresh water the following day what should I do with the old water? Treat it as if it were holy water by crossing myself with it? Drink it while praying that it make me more worthy of his presence? It seems disrespectful just to throw it away.

We have one at the front door and we all keep it filled. Everyone (family) who enters - uses it - even visiting Catholics. We use it before we leave the house, too. I keep a vial in my glove box in the car. I learned from Fr. Corapi {LOVE THAT PRIEST!} that if you happen upon someone who’s about to die and they acquiesce; you can baptize them!

Only for Jesus would I dare do something like that~!

We have 4 in our house. It is my daughter’s responsibility to keep them full. They are great reminder and blessing to all of us.

ybiC,
Trevor

My 5 year old fills it each day - her little chore. And our 11-year-old gets the bottles together to fill each week at Mass.We have a picture of the Infatn Jesus upstairs near their bedrooms and they bless themselves each night and kiss the Infant of Prague before they go to bed. Even if it evaporates - you are still being blessed. I am going to assigned my oldest daugther the task of having the oil and salt blessed and getting the children’s tithing envelope put together each week.

I voted no, but I would like to have one (or more) sometime in the future:thumbsup:

i was at the mall the other week and came upon a candle holder. it is an angel whose wings wrap around a little glass cup which is supposed to be used for candles, but i decided it would make a perfect holy water font. i absolutely love it and use it all the time. the st. therese chapel in the mall near me is where i get my holy water to fill it.

We have a couple at the request of our children. Sad to say we didn’t think of it on our own. Happy to say that God spoke through our children.

One problem, however, and wondering if anybody has a solution. The holy water evaporates so quickly. I don’t know if it’s the depth of the font or the material which is absorbing it. So these might be considerations when purchasing a holy water font.

I have one in my littlel prayer room. I use it before and after prayer. One of the local churches has a metal container with a spigot hanging on the wall for use by parishoners. I would think that if your church does not have one that you could ask the priest if he would fill your bottle from the baptismal font.

As regards those who get their bottle of water from the store blessed, it is my understandign that “Holy Water” is more than water. It has blessed salt and chrism oil in it. There is a procedure for the making of holy water. It actually involves exorcism of the ingredients prior to imparting of the blessing and there is an order to it.

I heard a priest recently speak very sternly to the congregation regarding the use of holy water. He said they did not use it with any thought as to what they were doing. In the act of making the sign of the cross with holy watrer we proclaim that we are “washed in the blood of the lamb” . He said that upon going into church when we make this act it should be a reminder that we have entered God’s house and from that point on the chit chat ends. We are in the presence of God.

The use of Holy Water is more than symbolic. When holy water is used, the blessing given the ingredients is imparted to whatever it touches. Hence, when we make the sign of the cross we “bless oursleves”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back