Holy Water Fonts in the home

• Thread starter Thread starter dumspirospero
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that you can take a little dab of Holy water and add it to regular water and the whole batch becomes Holy water. I asked our Priest about this, and he said it’s true. Has anyone else heard this?

I’m interested in the salt. Someone said in an earlier post that they had a whole container of Morton salt blessed. What is the ratio of salt to water?

It appears I could I produce an almost endless supply of Holy water for my fonts with from just a few ounces of Holy water from the Church along with some salt that has been blessed.

Does anyone have more info on this?

Yes, we have four fonts in our house. One in each bedroom and then one next to the front door.

St. Michael the ArchAngel, defend us…!!👍 thats a beautiful one, t/y for that site link. I have the one that my mother and father had, it was my grandmother’s. Right by the front door, and I thought that all Catholic Church’s had holy water available, every parish I have ever been to has had it in a big metal looking container with a spout.
The sponge does help some, and also, I have a glass one too, it seems to dry up quicker than the plastic older one. Sometimes I use one, sometimes the other. I love them both. Bless yourself coming in and going out is what I was taught. (May the Lord watch over you coming in and going out.) Another thing I was taught is that blessing yourself, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit reminds you of your Baptism. We also didn’t talk in Church once we blessed ourselves after entering in to God’s house.🙂

40.png
cargopilot:
I understand that you can take a little dab of Holy water and add it to regular water and the whole batch becomes Holy water. I asked our Priest about this, and he said it’s true. Has anyone else heard this?

I’m interested in the salt. Someone said in an earlier post that they had a whole container of Morton salt blessed. What is the ratio of salt to water?

It appears I could I produce an almost endless supply of Holy water for my fonts with from just a few ounces of Holy water from the Church along with some salt that has been blessed.

Does anyone have more info on this?
i have heard (and read on this forum) the same thing.
if a priest says so it must be so (unless he is heterodox or something).

i believe it is true by multiple statements.

another possiblilty, to prevent evaporation is to use a pet bottle with a ball valve on the end…as in hamsters and gerbils.
just a thought that j;ust occurred to me.

I have one in my bedroom. It’s ceramic angel, white except for the wings which are gold. My great-aunt made it. It was one of her projects at the Little Sisters of the Poor residence. I treasure it.

We have one at the front door, back door, and all the bedrooms. The bad thing is that we aren’t very diligent at keeping them filled. :o Which reminds me, I’m taking our big bottle to Mass today to get it filled up.

We just got our bottle filled today after Mass. For those of you keeping score.😃

I keep a Holy Water Font by my front door. Love it.

I have a funny story. Our local Priest told me that they couldn’t understand why the Church Fonts were empty right after filling them. This went on for awhile until Father Howard saw a woman enter and start emptying all the Fonts around the Church into a bottle she was carrying. He asked her why she was doing that and she answered, “to make soup”.
Of course he explained to her that she could bring her own water and he would be happy to Bless it. She had no clue.

The Blessed Salt is great. I put this on all the window sills and outside around each corner of the house.

I’ve only just purchased one, but I haven’t put it up yet. I visited a shrine last week, and the gift shop had St. Francis holy water fonts – I couldn’t resist. 🙂

Crazy Internet Junkie Society
****Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag

We have one in every bedroom and at entrances to our house.

I have a beautiful little bottle that fits snugly into a replica of the Miraculous Medal. It sat on my Grandmother’s vanity table until she died, at age 88, in 1974. She had had it since coming to America in 1915! I recently filled it with Holy Water and set it on my mantle. I feel as though I am honoring Our Lady and my wonderful Grandmother.

It’s not a font but…:o

I have one that I used to have in my bedroom as a young child. Interestingly, I was the only one in my family who had one in a bedroom. Just realized that now… I remember others coming to bless themselves, but after I moved away/grew up, it disappeared somewhere. I found it in a box when I was going through some stuff and brought it to my new house. It’s on the landing right next to my bedroom door.

It’s nothing fancy - just wooden with an engraving of an angel, and a fake metal basin for the holy water. I have a little sponge in it that helps keep it from evaporating too quickly. Helps me feel safe.

Mine is at the entranceway, when you first come in the front door.
Now, my friends are in the habit of using it, and I remember to keep it full.

I’m teaching my grandchildren to dip their fingers in and make the sign of the cross.

It is wonderful that we have so many sacramentals that the Church blesses and that are a means of grace for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back