Honey Bee crisis

• Thread starter Thread starter Jason_Weishaupt
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Shinobu:
You know, a few years back I commented to my Grandmother how I didn’t see as many honeybees as I did when I was younger (When I would always end up stepping on them in my bare feet >.<). It’s sad and you don’t really miss something until it’s gone.
Honeybees are not native to America – they’re all imports from Europe (and Africa.) The bees you used to find are “absconders” – that swarmed from the hives and became feral.

All native American crops evolved in a bee-less environment (but do better with bees than without), but crops that evolved in Europe cannot prosper without bees. Hence the high prices large farms are willing to pay to rent bees.

40.png
Almeria:
I guess you’ll have to tell me, as I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.
I second this; why is this important? (pardon my honey bee ignorance)

I checked out your link and found these visions to depart from the church on several points. The visions sound more fringe and wacky than legit. I do not know if this is a function of the “seer” or the site quoting her.

vern humphrey:
This is ancient news – I raise bees, and tracheal and varella mites have been around for a long time. We medicate twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall, changing medication to keep the mites from developing resistance to the medication.

There are some people in Arkansas who raise bees in a big way – and make their money by trucking the bees to California and renting them to farmers. They don’t even care about the honey – it costs more to harvest it than it’s worth.
I concur, the mite problem has been around for many years. They have become a nuisance to beekeepers because we have to do more to protect the bees. Although, some mites are becoming resistance to medication we are seeing some bees reject the mites themselves. Especially the varroa mites.

I didn’t medicate my bees for the last 3 years. Call it experimental or lazy, but I was able to get 30 gallons of honey last fall with 5 hives. When the inspector came out to check the health of the bees, he determined I have a very low level of mites.

For all of you wonder what is a varroa mite. A varroa mite is a parasite that climbs on the back of the worker bee and sucks out the life blood. Once the bee dies, the mite then climbs on another bee and continues to survive. These mites propagate and eventually become a great presence in the hive with the result being the death of the hive as well as the mites. Now, the big question. What kind of being lives off the working class, sucking the life force out of the worker until the worker quits or dies, then moves on to another worker until there are no more workers resulting in the “being” to cease to exist? :hmmm:

40.png
K-McD:
IFor all of you wonder what is a varroa mite. A varroa mite is a parasite that climbs on the back of the worker bee and sucks out the life blood. Once the bee dies, the mite then climbs on another bee and continues to survive. These mites propagate and eventually become a great presence in the hive with the result being the death of the hive as well as the mites. Now, the big question. What kind of being lives off the working class, sucking the life force out of the worker until the worker quits or dies, then moves on to another worker until there are no more workers resulting in the “being” to cease to exist? :hmmm:
Does it suck out 15.3% of the worker’s total income (counting the “Employer’s Contribution” which, of course, the worker has earned?)http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

40.png
K-McD:
Now, the big question. What kind of being lives off the working class, sucking the life force out of the worker until the worker quits or dies, then moves on to another worker until there are no more workers resulting in the “being” to cease to exist? :hmmm:
I don’t know, but it sounds like it would make a good horror flick.

No, actually I was thinking more like modern liberalism. They live off the worker; to their demise.

Jason Weishaupt said:
40-60% of U.S. Honey Bees have died from a mite blite. I do not think that I have to tell you the implications of this.

A Catholic seer said that we will thirst and starve because of the Terri case. They may be right.

Jason Weishaupt

And when I have to pay $100.00 for a 16oz jar of honey, I’ll believe it.:rolleyes:

40.png
TNT:
And when I have to pay $100.00 for a 16oz jar of honey, I’ll believe it.:rolleyes:
The value of bees is not in the honey they produce, but in the crops they polinate…

Those crops which evolved in America (corn, squash, etc.) can grow without bees (but do better if there are bees.) Crops from the old world (wheat, for example) will not produce without bees to polinate them.

vern, what ever happened to the whole Russian honeybee plan?

I recall reading that the normal Euro honeybees are rather weak-kneed in the face of adversity :D, but that the Ruskies are much more resistant to mites and other diseases.

Digitonomy said:

I recall reading that the normal Euro honeybees are rather weak-kneed in the face of adversity :D, but that the Ruskies are much more resistant to mites and other diseases.

True. The Russian bees actually remove the mites from each other while the “Euro” bees don’t. This is a good sign for future beekeeping.

As far as the crops go, honeybees are responsible for about 80% of the food we eat. At least that is the figure I learned a couple of years ago.

Digitonomy said:

When attacked by mites, Spanish honeybees kick out their queen and try to strike a deal with the mites.

Italian honeybees pay ransom.

French honeybees don’t even send troops, they just criticize those who fight the mites. http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back