Hormonal contraception and rape

• Thread starter Thread starter Saya
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the scenario is wait…before you rape me let me get a condom on ?
No. Afterwards, one takes contraception to prevent ovulation or kill sperm inside the uterus, preventing conception.
To prevent Contraception is acting as God and wrong.
That is not Church teaching. Contraception is immoral because it frustrates the procreative aspect of the marital union.

As a Catholic I was taught no pill by the good Sisters
My kids are taught no morning after pill condoms or contraception— they are taught abstence till marriage.
. Then after marriage nfp…
If raped, you give birth and perhaps make adoption plan.
Have things changed?

Last edited:
You’re right that contraception is not allowed in circumstances of consensual sex. However,
A female who has been raped should be able to defend herself against a potential conception from the sexual assault. If, after appropriate testing, there is no evidence that conception has occurred already, she may be treated with medications that would prevent ovulation, sperm capacitation, or fertilization.
This comes from the USCCB. I trust our bishops.

So I can put my daughters on the pill so in the rare event they get raped its 0k.

Or get morning after pill.

I’m out because I cant do this with my conscience.

I think if a woman did this, she should seek professional counseling if the slim possibility of getting raped consumes her thoughts so much that she would put herself on regular birth control. Or she needs to change her situation (if she really lives in such a dangerous neighborhood that women are getting raped on the street daily, then she needs to move, have a safe person walk her home, or what have you).
I should mention that “change her situation” isn’t often easier said than done. If it’s a bad neighborhood then moving out might be more expensive than someone can afford, especially for someone with family in that neighborhood whom they’re unwilling to abandon. Or someone’s entire country might be in a state where law enforcement is unreliable to nonexistent.

3:15 is about eve eating the apple and God saying And He will put enmity between thy seed and her seed.; it shall bruise thy heel. I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and contaception.
I will go to 31:5
Which reads
Behold now,I have taken upon me to speak to the Lord and Peradventure there shall be 20 found there. And he said I will not destroy for 20 sake .

Cant connect it with op.

Last edited:
The OP didn’t read that way to me. Could be.
I feel like if she was referring to the situation you were thinking of, she would have made it clearer but idk. Even if that’s what she meant, it does make for an interesting discussion even if practically speaking, it seems psychologically unhealthy. I’ve heard of female soldiers/missionaries etc taking birth control before going into certain places. If that’s what she’s referring to, then I think we should focus on the moral aspect of the argument because some of the replies seem to be deflecting.
in such a case we have someone repelling or holding themselves back from an unjust aggressor, not someone willfully abusing the conjugal act.
This was my knowledge as well. It does seem consistent with teachings on contraception too for reasons you mention above. It’s quite upsetting to see nonchalant attitudes towards pregnancy and rape. I personally don’t think I could reconcile my relationship with my parent if they didn’t allow me to take emergency contraceptives in the event of rape. Eh.

One scenario I’m thinking about for those who disagree is if it’s wrong for a woman to escape mid rape/before ejaculation in an attempt to avoid pregnancy. Of course, not the exact same scenario and a woman in that situation is more focused on escaping a distressing situation, but i have heard of such instances where that thought was in their minds during the rape. Would it be sinful since it would have been sinful for a woman in consensual sex? In both scenarios (edit: emergency contraception/rape) , they’re actively avoiding conception even though sex has already occurred, and both actions would be sinful for the same reason if it’s consensual. Idk, rambling now but it’s worth exploring. This scenario highlights how what’s sinful during consensual sex isn’t sinful during rape.

Last edited:
3:15 is about eve eating the apple and God saying And He will put enmity between thy seed and her seed.; it shall bruise thy heel. I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and contaception.
I will go to 31:5
Which reads
Behold now,I have taken upon me to speak to the Lord and Peradventure there shall be 20 found there. And he said I will not destroy for 20 sake .
Don’t see any connection here to what’s being talked about.

King James bible. I dont see a correlation either
Was it 3:15 or 31 :5.

I really need to know this as I have 2 daughters.
Thank you

In both scenarios, they’re actively avoiding conception
A woman being raped has zero obligation to let her rapist finish raping her.
even though sex has already occurred
NO. Rape is not an intimate act. It’s a violent crime and a sin.

ETA: If I was raped I could defend myself with deadly force and that wouldn’t be a sin. Just some more perspective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back