Hormonal contraception and rape

• Thread starter Thread starter Saya
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have probably realized this by now, but the Genesis315 was another poster’s nickname on the forum, not a Scripture reference.

Are you sure about that?

I thought the Pope said that it was at least a step in the right direction i.e. being aware of the danger and showing sgnbs of being considerate towards the other person involved.

Hormonal contraception doesn’t stop, hinder, or prevent rape. All it does is sterilize. If you are taking hormonal contraception in case of rape then you are not treating the actual danger that you should be.

Well, to be precise, that applies to the ‘conjugal act’ and ‘spouses’ i.e. between married people.

And we can never do an evil thing to bring about good? Puncture a helpless tiny baby’s arm with a needle so that the baby cries with pain? How wicked. Use that same needle to deliver a vaccine? Praiseworthy.

Last edited:
And we can never do an evil thing to bring about good? Puncture a helpless tiny baby’s arm with a needle so that the baby cries with pain? How wicked. Use that same needle to deliver a vaccine? Praiseworthy.
Using a needle is not an evil act in and of itself, it’s morally neutral. The purpose of using the needle is what gives the act moral weight.

In some countries, such as those suffering from the breakdown of law and order due to widespread police corruption or outright civil war, that chance actually very high.

Last edited:
Here is a scenario. A woman gets raped. She has not taken any contraception before rape.

At the hospital where she is examined, it has been determined that conception has not occurred. Not yet anyway.

This is where contraception gets in the picture. She is given emergency contraception to prevent conception from ever taking place. This is licit.

A rape victim is not under any obligation to be open to life with her rapist.
I know that the US bishop create a scenario for thoses cases with the answer you have given for catholics hospitals.

But I think it is more a scenario than anything else.

Do we have at least one case where it has been happened?

This scenario is only for US, only for Catholic hospital, and I suppose only for a Catholic woman. (We cannot seriousely ask a non Catholic woman to obey to this doctrine).

More to determine that a woman has been raped, she probably had to go to the police before. Or had examinations. Or both. In a very very short time. And many women would be reluctant or will disagree. It is a lot of parameters for having an “emergency contraception”.

Seriousely, in most real cases in this world, if the woman go to a doctor in an appropriate time, I am sure that there will be no checking before a proposition or a given of EC… The woman will not been ask for her convictions toward human life and contraception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back