House Subcomitte Hearing: Online Platforms and Market Power

  • Thread starter Thread starter ThinkingSapien
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ThinkingSapien

Guest


In about 40 (update: delayed until 1:00pm)minutes the House Committee on the Judiciary is scheduled to meet with the CEOs of 4 companies on the platforms, practices, and power. The CEOs of Amazon, Google, Facebook, and Apple will be meeting virtually for questions.

The live stream of the hearing is available on Youtube (link above) among other places.
 
Last edited:
Jim Jordan is up. He started with “Big tech is out to get conservatives!”

That didn’t take long. I wonder what other issues might get thrown in here.
 
Seemed to me that the Committee came across as having only a superficial grasp of tech, while responses were well researched and rehearsed.
 
Seemed to me that the Committee came across as having only a superficial grasp of tech
That’s how most of them seam to go. Asking Zuckerberg about something Twitter did was one of the most misplaced questions I saw.
while responses were well researched and rehearsed.
Some of these questions have been asked before. The person asking why his campaign emails were going to junk mail has asked that question at a previous hearing.

It looks that a lot of this is performance to generate news clips. Most of the questions asked are not related to the stated purpose of the hearing. Jim Jordan yielding back and then suddenly yelling while Rep Mary Gay Scanlon was asking questions was rather odd.
 
Last edited:
Wasn’t this Bezo’s first appearance? What did you think of his comments?

Even given the fact that the members have their attention and knowledge spread among a wide spectrum of issues, I thought it was flat.
 
Wasn’t this Bezo’s first appearance? What did you think of his comments?
Yeah, this was the first time Bezos has appeared. I feel like he looked a bit green when he was being asked about the diapers. To me it just felt like he was uncomfortable. If the questions were more evenly distributed instead of being focused on Facebook and Google then he might have to deal with more pressure.

But that said, I don’t expect a CEO to know all of the details of every event that has occurred over the last decade.

I like the way Time Cooke addressed questions. But people hardly asked him anything.
 
I like the way Time Cooke addressed questions. But people hardly asked him anything.
I think the conservatives especially will go light on Tim. They know he meets with Trump and they have a somewhat mutual respect. Plus, honestly, he is one smart cookie! Another issue is that Tim and Apple aren’t involved in social media like Facebook and YouTube are. One thing that’s becoming very apparent is that we need some representatives that are tech savvy! If you don’t know why an email goes into your spam folder, you need to just retire already…you are way too old school to lead us in the 21st century! 🤣
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top