Well… I have another update about the situation.
When I saw the bible teacher last Thursday, she told me she was not going to tell people where to sit that we should work that out. So I took that to mean I could sit where I wanted. So when I saw the teacher at church last night, I though it would only be fair to tell her my intentions and if she wanted she could pass that on to the other lady.
So I said ‘I really like sitting up at the front and I if there is an empty seat upfront beside the lady I will sit in it because her getting there early allows her one seat not two’ Well the teacher laughed and after some discussion she said ‘It is only common sense not to do that’. In my mind it is only common courtesy to let people know ahead of time what I will do so that there are no surprises. I then explained that I have no intention of aggravating this person. I will NOT sit beside her intentionally I simply plan to sit upfront and if it means that much to her to not sit beside me, if she sits in the back I will not sit in the back.
Well…I suspect that the teacher does not have very good assertive skills and she is not capable of setting the boundary ‘In my class if there is an empty row, I expect people to sit in the empty row before sitting beside someone’ I suspect she tries to handle things passively by just arguing ‘it is only common sense’
The teacher kept saying ‘this is a Catholic bible study and we should be Catholics’. I bit my tongue but all I could think is ‘Catholics share’
Well… The teacher raised her voices (something I have NEVER seen her do before so it hurts) and said ‘You guys were acting like children and no one else ever acts like that and if you two are going to disrupt the whole class I will ask both of you to leave’. And made another few comments that really made me feel shamed. And even started to put words in my mouth. Then she brought up the other behaviour I had been doing and saying how wrong I was for that. I kind of feel because she has a resentment from the other behaviour she is holding it against me. I have apoligized about the other behaviour and I do intend on making a serious effort to stop it. I just feel it is unfair that it is spilling into the seats.
So, I have decided that if I get there after this lady I will just sit in the back and leave it at that. However… my pain goes deeper.
In my mind, this is a Catholic Bible study teacher and in the 3 years I have know her, she really has never been a compassionate person and I guess I expected more compassion that she has given. And I need to accept she can not give it. And in a way that hurts. I suspect she told the other lady to not get in my face because she wants HER class to go smoothly, not because she believes I deserve respect.
Also, I remember last year when my dad died, at the end of class I asked if we could offer up our prayers for him. She made a somewhat cold statement and we prayed for him and she left it at that. She never said I am sorry for you loss. She knows I am unemployed and made an off colour joke about it a few months ago. When I saw her at church and asked her to stop she said ‘But I though you wanted me to make that joke’. Well… to her credit she stopped but I though how could anyone think I want people to joke about this. Also, a few weeks ago she asked me how the job hunt was going I told her ‘I think it is best not to talk about this’ she replied ‘Well I though you were working’

If she though I was working why would she ask how the job hunt is going.
At the end of that day, I think I can let the whole seat thing go and sit somewhere else. But I am still in pain that someone I though should be a compassionate Catholic isn’t
CM