No I am not offended and I am grateful for your honesty. You actually bring up a good point not only about this situation but also about other similar conflicts in my life.
I am the type of person who believes in being upfront with others. So often when I set a boundary, in my mind I am letting people know the ‘score’. For example if you choose to do this, I will choose to do that’ It has in the past not gone on over too well. It has ruffled a lot of feathers and I think that is another issue
For, when the teacher said ‘I am not going to tell people where to sit’, I took that to mean it was up to me and this girl to work it out and I let my intentions known that I will sit upfront but if she chooses to sit somewhere else I would not sit beside her. In my mind that was fair because the teacher is the one who said she wasn’t going to tell people where to sit. And if anything, I am glad I was upfront because as much as the teacher got mad at me the last time we spoke, I at least got to know that it will not go over well and shouldn’t do it. That is much better than going to bible study, sitting beside the lady and having another scene.
So I guess my questions is: How could I have said it in a way that would not upset the teacher but still I could get to the bottom of it?
CM
CMS, I was thinking along the lines of what Julianne said, that she may have taken your statement as a hostile warning, rather than the way you meant it, which was just trying to keep her informed. I probably wouldn’t have said anything to the teacher ahead of time either, but if I were to talk to her about the situation again, I’d keep in mind that tone of voice means a lot, and that she doesn’t understand your motivations like you do. Also, while you are hoping for an ally in this situation, she is looking at it from the perspective of “what is going to make my class run the most smoothly,” and since she doesn’t have the assertiveness to be the thing that makes her class run smoothly, then she is not going to be happy about you choosing fairness over diffusing the situation.
Ultimately, at this point, it is sounding like a fight for a seat in the front row. While I understand it is important to you, and to the other person, to the teacher, it sounds like childish bickering. If I were the teacher, I might tell the other person that if she wants an extra seat to herself, she’ll need to sit in a less coveted spot. But I also would say that I am not going to get involved in two grownups fighting over which chair they get to sit in. To be fair, the teacher should have spoken to the other woman the first time she disrupted the class, and told her that SHE would not be welcome back if she disrupted it again. But that didn’t happen, so I think you just have to accept that fairness is not going to be supported in this class.
The only way I could imagine talking to the teacher about it would be to start out with, “I very much do NOT want to disrupt the class, and I don’t want to make your job harder on you. But sitting in the front row is really important to me because _____ and when I have to sit in the back, I get a lot less out of the class because ____. I don’t want a fight, I just want to be able to use the seats in the front row if there are any available.” The thing is, your reason for wanting the front row seat is going to have to be pretty good for the teacher to feel sympathetic towards your plan.
One thing - you keep mentioning the front row and the back. Is there a second row? How big is this room that the back is so much worse than the front? Isn’t there an in-between? I agree that I wouldn’t want someone else’s bad attitude to push me to the back of the room, but the second row in most classrooms is a pretty good spot. I have the impression that you are speaking in extremes, perhaps to get your point across, but perhaps also because you are trying to emphasize the unfairness of it all. Are you caught up too much in the unfairness of her treatment of you that you aren’t letting yourself see a compromise? Can’t you just settle for being close to the front, and not IN the front without the situation being all that bad as being way in the back?