How can one be sure?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kendy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kendy

Guest
So, I am taking this class on scripture and the instructor is somewhat liberal by my standard. She hates EWTN, Scott Hahn, etc. She says their believes are not reallt catholic. She has said things that I think contradicts the catechism, like baptism does not cleanse from orginal sin. She says that historical Jesus did not found the priesthood, and that the saints just replaced the pagan gods.

Anyway, everyone is class loves her, and everytime, I challenge her, I look like a b***h. Anyway, she’s the biblical scholar so I don’t know how to challenge her, but the whole thing makes me feel confused and frustrated.

Kendy
 
How about if you bring a copy of the Catechism to class, and when she says something you’re sure is wrong, say “Excuse me, but I’ve never heard that the Church teaches that. Can you show me where to find that in the Catechism?” And hold up the Catechism while you’re making your request.
 
Are you or your parents paying for this class? I’d demand my money back.
 
How about if you bring a copy of the Catechism to class, and when she says something you’re sure is wrong, say “Excuse me, but I’ve never heard that the Church teaches that. Can you show me where to find that in the Catechism?” And hold up the Catechism while you’re making your request.
Well, seeing how popular I all ready I am. Why Not?
 
Are you or your parents paying for this class? I’d demand my money back.
Yes, I am paying. I could take my money back but where will I go to do an indepth bible study? Despite all the flaws, she certainly is a good scholar. But more importantly, what are the alternatives?
 
If you want scripture study, go to the Church. You’re not going to find it in a public school setting, and this is what this sounds like. (I could be wrong). And she’s a scholar by who’s standard? and that doesn’t make someone wise. If you know enough to know she’s wrong, why are you staying?
 
If you want scripture study, go to the Church. You’re not going to find it in a public school setting, and this is what this sounds like. (I could be wrong). And she’s a scholar by who’s standard? and that doesn’t make someone wise. If you know enough to know she’s wrong, why are you staying?
This class is being offered by the office of catechis in my diocese. And I guess, she is a scholar because she is accepted in the scholar community. She has lots of credentials, is published, has tenure, etc.
 
So, I am taking this class on scripture and the instructor is somewhat liberal by my standard. She hates EWTN, Scott Hahn, etc. She says their believes are not reallt catholic. She has said things that I think contradicts the catechism, like baptism does not cleanse from orginal sin. She says that historical Jesus did not found the priesthood, and that the saints just replaced the pagan gods.

Anyway, everyone is class loves her, and everytime, I challenge her, I look like a b***h. Anyway, she’s the biblical scholar so I don’t know how to challenge her, but the whole thing makes me feel confused and frustrated.

Kendy
I assume that she is not Catholic. So approach as you would any other Protestant.

I just noticed your post that this is offered by the diocese?

Write the Bishop, tomorrow!
 
She is teaching heresy. Complain loud and often to the Bishop. Tell him specifics of what she is saying. It is no wonder she doesn’t like EWTN or Scott Hann they are teaching the truth. She is not.
 
Popularity is overrated.
Fr. Corpi (sp?) says If you teach keep repeating to yourself “My teaching is not my own!” We are not here to teach what we believe but what the Church and Christ teach. I am very unpopular in some circles simply because I teach only what the Church teaches and many people are now speaking up against things that in the past would go unnoticed.
 
So, I am taking this class on scripture and the instructor is somewhat liberal by my standard. She hates EWTN, Scott Hahn, etc. She says their believes are not reallt catholic. She has said things that I think contradicts the catechism, like baptism does not cleanse from orginal sin. She says that historical Jesus did not found the priesthood, and that the saints just replaced the pagan gods.

Anyway, everyone is class loves her, and everytime, I challenge her, I look like a b***h. Anyway, she’s the biblical scholar so I don’t know how to challenge her, but the whole thing makes me feel confused and frustrated.

Kendy
It’s not supposed to be a Bible study or a faith formation group. It’s a class. It’s scholarship.

If you really want to “challenge” her you’ll have to use logical arguments with evidence to back up your position. Saying “that’s not what I heard” just isn’t going to work. Holding up the catecheism isn’t going to work. If she makes a logical case for why defining baptism as “washing away original sin” doesn’t make sense, you’ll have to attack her reasoning and her evidence.
 
I assume that she is not Catholic. So approach as you would any other Protestant.

I just noticed your post that this is offered by the diocese?

Write the Bishop, tomorrow!
Is that really the best thing to do? Now, I am just not sure. She says that all these ex-protestants are bringing their fundamentalism to the church, and going from biblical fundamentalism to papal fundamentalism. She really has me disturbed.

Plus, I am sick of all the fighting. Why should I attack this person? Is she not just trying to live the faith in the best way she knows how? Are conservatives just arrogant? I am confused. 😦
 
It’s not supposed to be a Bible study or a faith formation group. It’s a class. It’s scholarship.

If you really want to “challenge” her you’ll have to use logical arguments with evidence to back up your position. Saying “that’s not what I heard” just isn’t going to work. Holding up the catecheism isn’t going to work. If she makes a logical case for why defining baptism as “washing away original sin” doesn’t make sense, you’ll have to attack her reasoning and her evidence.
Well, I tried to although I wished I had taken the baptism route with that one.

I don’ t think it’s too much to ask to expect a catholic scripture study would uphold catholoc teachings. Her point is of course that catholic teaching is more complex. :rolleyes:
 
Well, I tried to although I wished I had taken the baptism route with that one.

I don’ t think it’s too much to ask to expect a catholic scripture study would uphold catholoc teachings. Her point is of course that catholic teaching is more complex. :rolleyes:
Catholic teaching is not more complex than what the Catechism clearly teaches. The Catechism is the official teaching of the Church. If what she is teaching is contradicting the Catechism, then she is misrepresenting the Church and using a smokescreen of “complicated” as a ruse to deceive.:mad:

Of course there is a difference when it comes to theological debate on matters that have not been absolutely defined by the Church and these debates can get “complicated”, but they have nothing to do with what has been clearly defined already by the Church, such as Baptism and the Communion of Saints, and these things are clearly taught in the Catechism so that every Catholic can read it and not be deceived by heretical teachers, even those who have the approval of the “Bishop”. 😦

I think if I were you, I would move on. There is no use in setting yourself up for a fall, and by that I mean putting your faith in danger. It is easy to be confused by people who sound knowledgeable, especially if you are not really, really secure in what the Church teaches and why you believe what she teaches. But **you do know enough **to have had those warning bells go off already, I would heed that instinct, it’s there for a reason!😉
 
There is no use in setting yourself up for a fall, and by that I mean putting your faith in danger. It is easy to be confused by people who sound knowledgeable, especially if you are not really, really secure in what the Church teaches and why you believe what she teaches. But you do know enough to have had those warning bells go off already, I would heed that instinct, it’s there for a reason!
Kendy, I really second this suggestion. God’s truth does not cause confusion. If this class is messing with your head, which as far as I can tell, has been pretty clear, then I would take a pass on it for now. I waited several years after returning to the Church before embarking on any type of “study” because I wanted to be sure I was well armed in the face of so much contradictory “teaching”.
 
I have just read this…You know what popped into my head, when you called her a “scholar”? I thought of St Joan of Arc. Joan never even learned to read & write…but I would sit down at her feet & listen to her in a heartbeat…And I would run from this class.
Because, you know, someone who truly loves & serves the Lord always has something they can teach you. “Scholars” may have something to teach…or nothing at all. Worse, they may–as others have said–have soemthing to say that might :eek: damage your faith.
It is easy to be confused by people who sound knowledgeable, especially if you are not really, really secure in what the Church teaches and why you believe what she teaches. But **you do know enough **to have had those warning bells go off already, I would heed that instinct, it’s there for a reason!😉
A big amen to this advice. God bless you.
 
Is that really the best thing to do? Now, I am just not sure. She says that all these ex-protestants are bringing their fundamentalism to the church, and going from biblical fundamentalism to papal fundamentalism. She really has me disturbed.

Plus, I am sick of all the fighting. Why should I attack this person? Is she not just trying to live the faith in the best way she knows how? Are conservatives just arrogant? I am confused. 😦
No you should never attack an individual. Seeking to put an end to the great harm that people do by their actions is not attacking them. Many times people believe that they can put forth their own opinions when teaching in the Church. They cannot. In individual conversations to a point yes, but not in public teaching. What the Church teaches is what the Church teaches and to propose otherwise from a teaching position is wrong. I myself have had to make very difficult decisions trying to correct issues, but not wanting to cause any harm to the individuals. I would always hope that the individual would listen to the Church, correct the issue and go on. I would never specifically seek to have someone removed from a position. You are not trying to have her removed, but are trying to help her teach correctly. In turn helping those in the class to learn correctly.
 
Well, I tried to although I wished I had taken the baptism route with that one.

I don’ t think it’s too much to ask to expect a catholic scripture study would uphold catholoc teachings. Her point is of course that catholic teaching is more complex. :rolleyes:
I meant I should have taken the catechism route.
 
I think if I were you, I would move on. There is no use in setting yourself up for a fall, and by that I mean putting your faith in danger. It is easy to be confused by people who sound knowledgeable, especially if you are not really, really secure in what the Church teaches and why you believe what she teaches. But **you do know enough **to have had those warning bells go off already, I would heed that instinct, it’s there for a reason!😉
One woman said she was not going to watch EWTN because of what she said about it. Its pretty sad. 😦

But anyway, where will I go? This is my only opportunity to do an in-depth study of scripture? I can barely find a decent place to go to mass 😦
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top