How could Adam and Eve act for everyone?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JeannetteCML
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief!”

Sorry, I still have problems with Genesis, even and especially as its literal interpretation reverberates throughout the New Testament. But I still do believe that there is sin and and that we are born in a state of need of Redemption through Christ. I just see it more as a condition steming from the mystery of free will rather than the direct result of the first man’s sin. Death was part of the process before Adam… I’m not throwing out everything. I’m sorry if my view offends you. It’s mostly mysterious to me.
The fact that it “reverberates throughout the New Testament” should give credence to the story, not detract from it.

Explain free will as you understand it.

Where is your proof that death was part of the process before Adam. Physical death possibly, but spiritual death? Nope, not buyin’ it.

I’m not offended. In fact, I enjoy the discussion.
 
Oh, I’m probably a heretic considering the present interpretation, and you can put me under house arrest with Galileo!

Immortal, impassible human beings would contradict the evolutionary process that was already underway. God is the one who works through evolution, don’t get me wrong. But death and defects, trial and error, were a part of it, and we have scientific evidence for that.

Scripture states that God’s creation was good. Very well. So it was. But biology spent a long time in the process of “becoming.” To be perfect means to have come to the end of the process of development, to be complete. And God willed that that take time.

And yes, I am confused why God works through evolution which seems to have natural evils in it.
 
The fact that it “reverberates throughout the New Testament” should give credence to the story, not detract from it.

Explain free will as you understand it.

Where is your proof that death was part of the process before Adam. Physical death possibly, but spiritual death? Nope, not buyin’ it.

I’m not offended. In fact, I enjoy the discussion.
I’m glad you enjoy the discussion. 🙂

Hearing Adam mentioned in the New Testament has always been a stumbling block for me…

Explain free will? That’s a hard question. For some reason we are to make our choice to love God or not even before we have full knowledge (the beatific vision) of Him. For some reason we must do this even in the face of suffering and death. I guess if there were no challenge in loving God, knowing his goodness and glory, and not having to suffer, one might question why anyone would have the “freedom” to choose anything other than God. But that seems a bad arguement to me. I don’t know.

I AGREE WITH YOU THAT SPIRITUAL DEATH WAS NOT PART OF THE PROCESS!!!
 
Oh, I’m probably a heretic considering the present interpretation, and you can put me under house arrest with Galileo!

Immortal, impassible human beings would contradict the evolutionary process that was already underway. God is the one who works through evolution, don’t get me wrong. But death and defects, trial and error, were a part of it, and we have scientific evidence for that.

Scripture states that God’s creation was good. Very well. So it was. But biology spent a long time in the process of “becoming.” To be perfect means to have come to the end of the process of development, to be complete. And God willed that that take time.

And yes, I am confused why God works through evolution which seems to have natural evils in it.
Well, since there is no absolute scientific evidence of the evolution of the human species, it already contradicts the evolutionary process. Incidentally, I have a lot of trouble with the theory of evolution. For one, if it’s true, why do we not see it going on all time? It seems to me that we should be able to point to the evolution of a species that has occurred in the more recent past.

However, this is not important to the discussion. The problem here is, as I see it, you cannot see past evolution to get to the story in Genesis because of its apparent contradiction to the evolution of life here on Earth. As I said before, the Bible is rife with apparent contradictions. I don’t know how God created the Earth and everything in it, and I have no problem with God choosing to place a garden in Eden and placing Adam and Eve there.
 
Oh, I’m probably a heretic considering the present interpretation, and you can put me under house arrest with Galileo!

Immortal, impassible human beings would contradict the evolutionary process that was already underway. God is the one who works through evolution, don’t get me wrong. But death and defects, trial and error, were a part of it, and we have scientific evidence for that.

Scripture states that God’s creation was good. Very well. So it was. But biology spent a long time in the process of “becoming.” To be perfect means to have come to the end of the process of development, to be complete. And God willed that that take time.

And yes, I am confused why God works through evolution which seems to have natural evils in it.
I would think that evolution doesn’t have natural evils in it. Evolution does need death, else how would a species fit the 1000’s of generations on earth needed to changed just slightly.
But is death evil?

Before addressing human death, let’s just start with animal death (since is evolution is true, it would have preceeded human death). Is non-human death evil? Well, there is pain involved, but there is pain involved in the animals going about their world anyway. An animal dying is like God shutting a book or finishing a piece of music. It wasn’t meant to go on, it had a beginning and and end. A bear dies and poof it’s gone forever. Not evil though, just an animals nature.

So, assuming evolution true…and thus pre-Adam animal death true, we still don’t have to think evil is a necessary pre-Adam fact. And I would suggest that it most certainly was not.

So then we come to the moment that Adam and Eve are born. Their parents are some homo-erectus or what not (I’m no scientist). Thus their parents have no eternal souls, no conscious, and seemingly were not graced by God with the preternatural gifts.

So, I guess the big question is this: would God have allowed biology do it’s thing by getting man on earth through all these millions of other species, then at the moment of their arrival spurn Biology by giving graces above what Biology is able. Giving graces that made men Eternal, Immune to Sickness, Knowledgable of all Natural Things, etc…

Would that make the last 6 billion years a waste of time? And would He bestow these gifts intended for all men, then remove again within the first generation?

Honestly, I’ve my doubts on this. But there are doubts on every version of creation, including the purely scientific ones.

I believe what the church states: there was a frist man and first woman, before their fall creation was perfect, and that through their original sin we are in need of redemption and suffer the sins effects in weakened wills and fallen ambitions.
 
Well, since there is no absolute scientific evidence of the evolution of the human species, it already contradicts the evolutionary process. Incidentally, I have a lot of trouble with the theory of evolution. For one, if it’s true, why do we not see it going on all time? It seems to me that we should be able to point to the evolution of a species that has occurred in the more recent past.

However, this is not important to the discussion. The problem here is, as I see it, you cannot see past evolution to get to the story in Genesis because of its apparent contradiction to the evolution of life here on Earth. As I said before, the Bible is rife with apparent contradictions. I don’t know how God created the Earth and everything in it, and I have no problem with God choosing to place a garden in Eden and placing Adam and Eve there.
I have my own skepticism about the theory of evolution. At the very least, it surely does not seem to be able to have gone on by itself without the constant pull toward complexity by the hand of God.

It was God’s command for Adam and Eve to fill the whole earth not just the Garden. And whether you believe in evolution or not, the whole earth was in the process of living and dying… Unless you want to figure that God gave them the Garden and knew He would have to kick them out of it before they out grew it! The contradictions just demonstrate the mythological character of the narrative to me and leave me to search for the deeper message behind it.
 
I have my own skepticism about the theory of evolution. At the very least, it surely does not seem to be able to have gone on by itself without the constant pull toward complexity by the hand of God.

It was God’s command for Adam and Eve to fill the whole earth not just the Garden. And whether you believe in evolution or not, the whole earth was in the process of living and dying… Unless you want to figure that God gave them the Garden and knew He would have to kick them out of it before they out grew it! The contradictions just demonstrate the mythological character of the narrative to me and leave me to search for the deeper message behind it.
But you will notice there are two separate stories of the creation of Man. In the first chapter he creates Man, but in chapter two, he creates Adam specifically and places him in the garden.

Also, since God is eternal and not bound by time, he sees all of time. So it’s probable He saw the fall before it happened. Which would prove God’s love for us. Even before the fall, He saw the necessity of our salvation through Christ, and yet He allowed it all to happen.
 
You’ll all hate me for this… but yes, I think He saw the Fall WAY before it happened, and set up the earth accordingly.
 
You’ll all hate me for this… but yes, I think He saw the Fall WAY before it happened, and set up the earth accordingly.
Me? I don’t hate anyone. Least of all you, Jeanette. I just disagree.

God Bless.
 
I know… Anyway, I’m going to do some studying before I say any more on this. Thanks all! 🙂
 
Before addressing human death, let’s just start with animal death (since is evolution is true, it would have preceeded human death). Is non-human death evil? Well, there is pain involved, but there is pain involved in the animals going about their world anyway. An animal dying is like God shutting a book or finishing a piece of music. It wasn’t meant to go on, it had a beginning and and end. A bear dies and poof it’s gone forever. Not evil though, just an animals nature.
Actually, there are two or three different forms of evil that I recently heard of as it was described by a priest on EWTN. Animals killing one another for food is considered a “natural evil,” if I remember correctly. In other words, it is a form of evil because a life is destroyed in the process, but it is a natural law on earth. I wish I could remember who discussed it and on what program. If I find out, I will post more information.
 
I’m not sure where to ask this question, but I have always had considerable difficulty with the foundational doctrine of original sin. Understanding the entire faith seems to depend on it, and yet it all does make sense to me. And I have done some seeking, having a bachelors and a masters degree in theology.

We cannot take the account of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden as an historical account. Death was part of the way of the world before humans came on the scene even if sin wasn’t. I don’t know much about evolution, but I believe it to be reasonable enough to entertain the possibility of there being at some point one original human man and then at some other point, one original human woman. What I mean is that I believe there was a cutoff point somewhere in the course of evolution where one being was evolved to the point of destiny for eternal life and one was not. I somehow don’t believe the human species was just created seperately from the rest of creatures, although it’s always possible…

So I am wondering, why do we believe that humans are not born in a state of original grace as the first ones were? It does not seem just that God would punish descendents because of what their parents did. I don’t see why what was lost by the parents was lost for the children as well. Was there ever a set of people who were born in grace? Or is it really God’s plan that we are all born in the process of coming to sanctity? I don’t want to challenge the belief that it was not God’s intention for sin and death to be in his “good” creation, but the fact of the matter is that suffering and death have always been inescapable.

What is original sin? Why is it just that all experience the effects of it? Or, I might just as well ask, why must there be an unredeemed universe and later a redeemed one?
Read Eze 18 and if evolution were false, how would that change your question?
 
Originally Posted by JeannetteCML: I’m not sure where to ask this question, but I have always had considerable difficulty with the foundational doctrine of original sin. Understanding the entire faith seems to depend on it, and yet it all does make sense to me. And I have done some seeking, having a bachelors and a masters degree in theology.
We cannot take the account of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden as an historical account. Death was part of the way of the world before humans came on the scene even if sin wasn’t. I don’t know much about evolution, but I believe it to be reasonable enough to entertain the possibility of there being at some point one original human man and then at some other point, one original human woman. What I mean is that I believe there was a cutoff point somewhere in the course of evolution where one being was evolved to the point of destiny for eternal life and one was not. I somehow don’t believe the human species was just created seperately from the rest of creatures, although it’s always possible…
Evolutionary Theory is only that, but regardless of how man came into being, the reality seems to be that at the point that God breathed spirit and soul and intellect and free will into man, man became accountable to God for his choices. That accountability pemeated all of human life. As we know in our Catholic faith, we are all one body, Christ’s bride to be, not only at the Last Supper and after the formation of the early Church. We were and are always One body in Christ, eternally. Christ created each one of us for his good pleasure; he did not decide that one is favored and the other destined to rot.

When man was blessed with free will to choose to know good and evil, he ultimately chose to know and thereby disobeyed God’s command to remain, if you will, innocent of that level of knowledge. Perhaps the first human adults were like little children, not knowing the difference between good and evil, not self-aware. Children, as innocent as they initally behave, will become like animals – selfish and greedy – if they are not trained. The penchant for self-awareness, and thus selfishness, is an aspect of original sin that entered in when Adam and Eve chose to have knowledge of good and evil. And because we are all one body, we all share in that original sin – the knowledge of good and evil and the subsequent awareness of self and selfish desire. What if original sin was actually a self-awakening? The Bible account is that Adam and Eve first became aware of their nakedness; they did not become aware of temptation to kill or even temptation toward sexual insatiability. The initial absence of orginal sin must have been a lack of self-awareness; the awareness of one’s vulnerability without God, and the awareness of one’s power to act apart from God. Like children who first become aware of their self-mastery and independence, they want to cross the street on their own, yet are foolishly unaware of the danger in their path.
So I am wondering, why do we believe that humans are not born in a state of original grace as the first ones were? It does not seem just that God would punish descendents because of what their parents did. I don’t see why what was lost by the parents was lost for the children as well. Was there ever a set of people who were born in grace? Or is it really God’s plan that we are all born in the process of coming to sanctity? I don’t want to challenge the belief that it was not God’s intention for sin and death to be in his “good” creation, but the fact of the matter is that suffering and death have always been inescapable.
I think the perspective that God has punished the human family for Adam and Eve’s choice to know good and evil is in error. What that says is that God has punished us with free will. Not a theologically sound argument. Adam and Eve chose to know good and evil, and God knew at the point that he created the universe, that we would fall away from Him and choose to walk our own course. Of course He knew. His whole intent in creating us was to give us the free will to seek and love Him. The knowledge of good and evil is what we have in order to be free. The knowledge of good and evil is first and foremost the awareness of Godlessness, the absence of the Holy Spirit in our lives, our midst, our temple. We are free to choose to love God and obey Him. If we were not aware of good and evil, aware of ourselves, we would not know that there is a choice we have to make to follow God or follow our own selfish desires. Instinct is all that we would have and God’s love and mercy exceed that bound. If it was through evolution that humans came to be, then God chose to breathe in us a soul to understand, a spirit to seek Him, an intellect to reason how and why and who He is, and from these came the free will to seek Him if we desire Him.

[CONTINUED IN NEXT POST]
 
Originally Posted by JeannetteCML: What is original sin? Why is it just that all experience the effects of it? Or, I might just as well ask, why must there be an unredeemed universe and later a redeemed one?
Original sin, therefore, is not a curse, but the awareness of good and evil, awareness of the self, awareness of the potential absence of the Spirit in our lives. The effect of original sin is that we must therefore battle between selfishness and selflessness each day of our lives. When you read the Genesis account of the fall of man and later, the slaying of Abel by Cain, we see that God came looking for Adam and Eve and Cain, respectively. The Scripture, though inspired by God, still allows for the individual’s creative recounting of events. Thus, in the Bible, God appears to be ignorant of the fact that Adam and Eve just committed their first act of disobedience and ignorant when Cain slays Abel. You can ask, why didn’t God stop them? But He didn’t because when He breathed spirit and intellect into us, that gave us free will to act apart from God, without awareness of Him. You notice that while Eve knew that God had instructed her not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, she did not say to the serpent, “Wait, first let me go and talk to God and see what I should do.” Instead, without calling on the Spirit, she chose to act apart from God. She exercised her free will. God gave our first parents that blessing and he blessed us all with that gift of choice. Why should He have given it to Adam and Eve and then withheld it from us because they chose to act apart from God? That would be selfish of Him, would it not? That would be a punishment. Instead, we read on that God tells Adam and Eve that their days from henceforth will be full of toil and pain and suffering. Again, the creative intellect of the writer presents God’s commands as a curse on man. In actuality, God was warning Adam and Eve about the suffering that was to come because man now has the knowledge of good and evil and self-awareness. Like a little child who decides he is going to cross the street on his own, a parent would say, “Let me warn you, there will be speeders that will dash past you in both directions, whipping you to and fro with their cars and they will not stop to let you cross. You will struggle to get across the street, and lights will flash and your time will be limited and drivers will keep passing; some might hit you, causing you great pain….” You get my drift. Man’s freedom comes at a price to us, and freedom is never free.
Originally Posted by JeannetteCML: I don’t see why what was lost by the parents was lost for the children as well.
Your statement that we lost something, I believe, is also in error. We did not lose anything. Instead, we gained greater freedom to choose God. The side effect is what we don’t like; the side effect is that we often choose to disobey God and commit harm to ourselves and others, causing great suffering and tragedy in our lives. You know the saying that greater freedom carries greater responsibility - well, that is what the Garden of Eden was about - man choosing greater freedom to choose God or the absence of Him. And man has taken that freedom lightly and with a false understanding of what that freedom means.
 
Genesis is God’s way of telling us the story of the fallen angels. Creation is God’s way to give the fallen angels/us a second chance.The fallen angels are US. We are the “commiters” of original sin. We did this individually. It is our sin. Adam/Eve are each of us.

When God’s creation evolved enough for God to infuse us/souls into His creation, He called it “Man/Women”.
Each subsequent human/baby, was infused with a soul. Each soul was a fallen angel. Each of us were created from the beginning. We are eternal in so far as God keeps us so. He has stated that He has known us before we were in the womb.

All of this happened immediately. There is no before or after to creation. God’s giving us free will is His original idea. Love for us is His original idea. Forgiveness is God’s idea. Because He is LOVE. Creation is simply the playing out of His plan in space/time. Creation gives us “time” to work out our salvation. Time gives God the opportnity to join us. Jesus is the “Way” God chose to prove His love. We all know the rest of the story.

Thanks.
Awesome man!!! I thought I was the only person that had figured this out. The fact that we are the fallen angels, being given a second chance, is the only logical explanation for why God can throw people into hell, some of whom have never even heard the name of Christ.
And don’t let anyone tell you otherwise: ALL Christians have equal authority to interpret scripture. God has given the gift of reason to all men, but most just chose not to use it. Those who just believe whatever their church/pastor/guru tell them have placed their faith in man, not God.

🙂
 
Basic Catholic teaching regarding Adam and Eve is found in the
Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition, ISBN: 1-57455-109-4
Paragraphs 355-421.

The good news of Jesus Christ follows in Paragraph 422, etc.

One can put the word paragraph and its number in the Catechism’s search bar in link www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm
Entering topics, like Adam, is also very useful.

When you enter a paragraph number, like “paragraph 355”, and then click on the opening line, CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 355 you will see the following under the paragraph:

»
»
»
»
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top