How could Judas have betrayed Christ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MarkRA
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MarkRA

Guest
although a sign is not necessary for true conversion, it seems like if a person whitnesses such a thing that he could not possibly doubt God’s existence and his awesome power. but Judas did witness many signs and yet he still betrayed the Lord. if all that is written truly happened, how could Judas be brave enough…eh… dumb enough to turn over who he knew to be a great servant of God. I realize that 30 silver pieces is a lot, but he had seen the abundance that the Lord offered in the division of bread and right before the crucifiction he had seen Christ kill the fog tree where he was told he could move mountains just lIke Christ, and so it seems really unlikely that Judas was provoked by greed. if he was greedy he probably would have tried first to abuse some of Christ’s powers wouldn’t you think? if Judas was really hardened by the Lord to fulfill a prophecy, then that would truly make God cruel and capable of leading people to sin like the devil through forcing Judas to provide false testimony. this seems really uncharacteristic of God who even by causing pharoah to persecute the Israelite slaves did not not cause actual sin, just tragedy. the actions of the other apostles; their devotion to God after his ascension are really true testaments to God’s truth, but the actions of Judas really bother me
 
Why should Judas’s actions bother us? Don’t we betray Christ every time we sin against HIs love? and we should know better becuase we live with the Crucifixtion, ressurection, and acsension behind us. We also have the Sacraments of the Church.

Before you look at another, look at your own life and see the enormity of how you are falling short of the injunction of God, Be therefore Holy as I am Holy.

God bless.

P.S. You have to factor in here free will and also keep things in the perspective of eternity. Also that God allows or permits evil for two reason, 1. free will and 2. To bring a greater good out of it. Look at the evil that came from the crucifixtion, and like it or not, we all nailed and betrayed Jesus that day, but look at the graces and merits that came out of that so that we could become partakers in the Divine Life.

GB
 
I realize that all sin is evil and I also realize I sin and doubt all of the time. I don’t think it’s too far to say that judas sinned, though. I’m trying to put myself in the shoes of the apostles so I can know Jesus better, but when judas betrayed Jesus, I was for the first time really set back. having just seen what Judas had seen in all of the miracles, wouldn’t you think that he would have at least had respect enough of Jesus’s powers to fear the consequences of betraying him? even if he wasn’t converted yet, it seems like basic human instincts would have kicked in to hold him back, given all that he had seen. judas’s actions just don’t seem rationale
 
and is God really capable of causing sin? I understand permitting it though
 
The saddest thing is thirty pieces of silver isn’t really that much. Only like a months wage, I believe. It is a mystery, but here is an excerpt from the pope:
A second question deals with the motive of Judas’ behaviour: why does he betray Jesus? The question raises several theories. Some refer to the fact of his greed for money; others hold to an explanation of a messianic order: Judas would have been disappointed at seeing that Jesus did not fit into his programme for the political-militaristic liberation of his own nation.
In fact, the Gospel texts insist on another aspect: John expressly says that “the devil had already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray him” (Jn 13: 2). Analogously, Luke writes: “Then Satan entered into Judas called Iscariot, who was of the number of the twelve” (Lk 22: 3).
In this way, one moves beyond historical motivations and explanations based on the personal responsibility of Judas, who shamefully ceded to a temptation of the Evil One.
The betrayal of Judas remains, in any case, a mystery. Jesus treated him as a friend (cf. Mt 26: 50); however, in his invitations to follow him along the way of the beatitudes, he does not force his will or protect it from the temptations of Satan, respecting human freedom.
 
thank you. so it was Satan not God. then really Satan can be played into God’s hand
 
God doesn’t cause sin.

He gives us free will, sin is a consequence of that freedom. We can choose against love, which God IS.
 
and is God really capable of causing sin? I understand permitting it though
No, God does not cause sin. God gives everyone free will, so everyone can sin, including the apostles. Jesus chose the apostles carefully. He knew what each of them would do. I believe he chose Judas knowing he would betray him. Judas did not have to betray him, and Jesus did not want him to betray him, but he knew he would.
 
thank you. so it was Satan not God. then really Satan can be played into God’s hand
Judas was tempted by Satan and he had a choice. He fell to the temptation. God does not really use Satan as a tool, if thats what you mean. He wishes nobody to sin, ever, but he knows the decision we will make before we do.
 
nah not like a tool just he dumbfounds Satan on every step so that even when he thinks that he gas won he loses. I’m not doubting free will, but I was disturbed that just as Satan tempts us to choose sin, God might harden a heart to lead it towards sin. I’ve always seen his gifts as something to help fight temptation instead. but that’s all fine now that I realize it was Satan not God
 
nah not like a tool just he dumbfounds Satan on every step so that even when he thinks that he gas won he loses. I’m not doubting free will, but I was disturbed that just as Satan tempts us to choose sin, God might harden a heart to lead it towards sin. I’ve always seen his gifts as something to help fight temptation instead. but that’s all fine now that I realize it was Satan not God
Okay. Glad I could help.👍
Just to give you something else to think about, if you think that it is amazing that Judas would betray Jesus (I agree), think about the character of Satan. He was an angel, and knew far more than any human can, and he still betrayed God.
 
haha maybe a little overconfidence? would have liked to have seen his face when Christ conquered death
 
nah not like a tool just he dumbfounds Satan on every step so that even when he thinks that he gas won he loses. I’m not doubting free will, but I was disturbed that just as Satan tempts us to choose sin, God might harden a heart to lead it towards sin. I’ve always seen his gifts as something to help fight temptation instead. but that’s all fine now that I realize it was Satan not God
It solely how a person responds to the difficulties of his/her life.

Just look at Jobe, he went thorough (probably) the worst suffering (second only to Jesus)
His heart was not hardened, because of his perspective on life and God.

Judas may have allowed his heart to be hardened. (and come on, Jobe had it way worse than this guy. Yet Jobe did not turn his heart from God)

If some one spilled some water on your shirt, you can say “aw man, oh well” or you can say “Why does God hate me!?!?”

Judas apparently chose the latter. Resulting in a “hardened heart” like Pharaoh.
 
I realize that all sin is evil and I also realize I sin and doubt all of the time. I don’t think it’s too far to say that judas sinned, though. I’m trying to put myself in the shoes of the apostles so I can know Jesus better, but when judas betrayed Jesus, I was for the first time really set back. having just seen what Judas had seen in all of the miracles, wouldn’t you think that he would have at least had respect enough of Jesus’s powers to fear the consequences of betraying him? even if he wasn’t converted yet, it seems like basic human instincts would have kicked in to hold him back, given all that he had seen. judas’s actions just don’t seem rationale
You have to realize also that he was possessed too. There’s a lot of the picture that we cannot see. ON the surface we see greed, avarice, and a lot of other things, but only God can know what was in His heart. I used to wonder the same thing as you did, but now I have applied it to my life - the betraying God when I sin against his love part.

And in the end, he did realize the truth I did, only he despaired and killed himself. Now the Church never has said that Judas is in Hell, and only God knows what Judas did in the last few moments of his life. I keep hoping and praying that we will be pleasantly surprised and see that Judas made it into heaven becuase of a last moment of repentance. Time will tell.

God bless.
 
and is God really capable of causing sin? I understand permitting it though
In a short answer, no. If God was the ocassion of sin we could accuse Him of wrongdoing, but who’s going to stand before the Almighty and accuse Hin? He who is Infinite Goodness, Infinite Love, Infinite Justice, and Infinite Perfection. IN another short answer, noone.

Moreover, God can never treat us unjustly, to treat someone unjustly is an imperfection, a flaw. God cannot even treat us unjustly in a slightest measure. Since God is perfect and without flaw, He cannot treat us unjustly, even in the smallest measure. Hence, if we think that God is treating us unjustly we err in judgment.

God bless.
 
By possessed do you mean just given to sin? or was he really “possessed” and had a pre-assumed demon that was impairing his judgement?
 
By possessed do you mean just given to sin? or was he really “possessed” and had a pre-assumed demon that was impairing his judgement?
Then after the morsel, Satan entered into him, “What you are going to do, do quickly.” (John 13:27) But he had already made the arrangements give Jesus to the high priests. He does this in Matthew 26:14-16
 
Then after the morsel, Satan entered into him, “What you are going to do, do quickly.” (John 13:27) But he had already made the arrangements give Jesus to the high priests. He does this in Matthew 26:14-16
Thank you for posting this. I was going to get this posted.

God bless.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top