How do Catholics feel about whether countries should ban Niqab/Burka (full face covering) or not?

• Thread starter Thread starter Rozellelily
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens on Halloween?

Should makeup be banned, as it changes a persons appearance? What about non-formfitting clothing, as it can mask ones features? Please don’t tell me you are going to ban high heels.

There are lots of ways to change ones appearance that don’t involve face coverings.

Halloween is one of those minor circumstantial exceptions I just mentioned.

Be reasonable. You know none of those other things make people nearly as unidentifiable as completely covering the face. You’re just being argumentative and not giving what I’ve said serious consideration.

I am not being argumentative. I am pointing out that there are many ways of concealing one’s identity besides masks. There are banks that don’t allow hats and sunglasses inside their businesses. Most women know how to change their appearance, from changing hairdos to clothing to makeup to contact lenses and glasses.

If the only reason for not allowing burkas is identifying someone, it needs to be extended. Although, to be honest most of us don’t pay much attention to people on the street. They might as well be wearing burkas.

Last edited:
I am pointing out that there are many ways of concealing one’s identity besides masks.
But there are none that are as effective at completely obscuring a person’s identity as hiding the face. That’s why criminals hide their face and why Western society is an open-faced society. Antifa aren’t all wearing sunglasses, hats, makeup, baggy clothes, hairdos, high heels (seriously, you thought those are somehow going to obscure a person’s identity?). They are all wearing face coverings, and that emboldens them to commit assaults in public in broad daylight even with cameras everywhere.

Dubia is a world unto itself. Dubia is not the same regarding their rules as other Muslim countries.

Are you from Russia or Ukraine background?
I also feel sad too because my background has traditional clothes with rucni rad/handiwork but women now for the most part dress in “modern clothes”.
It would be nice for all cultures to wear traditional costume instead of globalization and feeling its old fashioned etc…

Generally don’t think should be banned other than when public interest overrides individual interest (security checkpoints, photos for government ids, lawful stops/searches, etc)

She looks adorable!
Some of ours:

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Very nice. Thank you for sharing

Below is claimed to be the Welsh national dress for boys. I have to say that in my 73 years as a Rhondda Valley Welshman I’ve yet to see any lad with such a garb……and as for a boy carrying a daffodil!

In my day, lads of this one’s (apparent age) wore their Sunday best at the annual St David’s Day morning concert in school (the afternoon was always a holiday). Only girls wore daffodils. Boys wore a leek pinned to the jacket lapel. More often than not the leek stretched from waist-band to above the ear; and we used to nibble at the leaves while the concert was going on. Yummy stuff, raw leek!

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Last edited:
At my relatives’ kids’ school women in a niqab or burqa have to show their faces or else the child won’t be left with them. The school makes it clear that a woman with a full face veil will not be allowed to pick up her kid until she shows her face, and many opt for the as a result. Full face covering isn’t even mandatory in Islam anyways.
This is interesting; I would have thought any Muslims who opt for full-face head coverings usually go out in public with a male chaperone who could identify her.

Maybe controversial to say,but what about the reality that women wearing Niqab/Burka hasn’t stopped many of their men from “struggling” with lust?
There are some real “perve” guys on Instagram and YouTube in comments section from places like Saudi Arabia and other Middle East countries.
Of course there are many great men from these regions too,but generally speaking,there is still a bit problem with some of them with lust.

A lot of the responsibility seems to fall to the women’s.
While Islam as a religion does make some direction towards the men such as lowering gaze or not wear short shorts for men etc,on a cultural level a lot of the expectation is on women.
On a cultural level,not enough effort is directed towards changing the mentalities of the men.

I feel that naturally a woman might feel comfortable to cover as much as possible if she is surrounded by “leery type” men and ones who view every mix gender interaction through the lens of sex but has this fixed any of their mentalities?
Has it caused an increase of internal virtues?
Isn’t a Niqab a bandaid solution which hadn’t worked anyway (longterm mentality change)…?

Maybe every adult should be legally free to wear what choose but not every choice is always healthy and at very least it’s shouldnt be taboo/not pc to publicly talk about these topics.

Ultimately,there is self and there is collective society and sometimes one of these “rights” have to get trampled on (or make compromise).
We already have limitations on dress-for example as a woman I can’t publicly walk around topless even if chose because of impact on collective society (its rights).
So maybe it’s not so unreasonable for European countries with European traditional values to have reasonable dress codes for citizens according to the host countries culture?

I read that in New York America it is legal for women to walk topless-is this true?😮

Last edited:
I think it is sensible to ask women to show her face when pick up children and so on. And it is also sensible to necessarily provide a female authority and not male one to check them.

I think freedom of religion is to show respect to other religion too. Thus, those women who believe in hijab let them wear hijab. Those who believe in burqua, let them wear burqua.

However, the ones believe in wearing burqua should not harrass the ones wear hijab, and vice versa.

When regarding teaching these women about their right to safety and equal opportunity: it is not by forcing them to open their burqua, rather, by teaching them how to get that safety and jobs and education, without being harrassed by other religious values that disagrees to them.

In otherwords: these womens freedom of expressing themselves in the most basic manner-- choosing their own clothes-- should be guaranteed under their human right. They should be respected and their choices should be respected and their safety guaranteed by the law.

The law should prevent one religious believe harassing other religious believe
. Even if a woman choose not to wear head cover, she should not be harrased. Any male or female harrass others because of their religious believe should be brought to justice.

Last edited:
I read that in New York America it is legal for women to walk topless-is this true?😮
If a woman is drunk, then she begin to undress in public. If you were a religious good man, would you rape her? No. You would help her to go home in safety. What sort of man give himself opportunity to rape a drunk woman? So therefore the law should not give any excuse to anyone to rape any woman for any reason.

Sorry,I’m not really understanding the rape connection.I was more just queuing whether it really is legal there to be topless.
Of course rape is never excusable/justifiable.
I’ve even heard of shocking instances where a man has “played Good Samaritan” and offered to help a drunk woman home from club only to rape her himself!😡

Last edited:
Sinister and evil, yes. Shocking, no.

People that rape people aren’t honest and these tactics from them are to be expected.

Last edited:
If the law says woman should dress a certain way, rapist and molesters getaway with it all the time.

Last edited:
I think it is sensible to ask women to show her face when pick up children and so on. And it is also sensible to necessarily provide a female authority and not male one to check them.

I think freedom of religion is to show respect to other religion too. Thus, those women who believe in hijab let them wear hijab. Those who believe in burqua, let them wear burqua.

However, the ones believe in wearing burqua should not harrass the ones wear hijab, and vice versa.

When regarding teaching these women about their right to safety and equal opportunity: it is not by forcing them to open their burqua, rather, by teaching them how to get that safety and jobs and education, without being harrassed by other religious values that disagrees to them.

In otherwords: these womens freedom of expressing themselves in the most basic manner-- choosing their own clothes-- should be guaranteed under their human right. They should be respected and their choices should be respected and their safety guaranteed by the law.

The law should prevent one religious believe harassing other religious believe
. Even if a woman choose not to wear head cover, she should not be harrased. Any male or female harrass others because of their religious believe should be brought to justice.
The problem is that allowing people to move about in public while fully obscuring their identity can be a considerable security risk. Generally speaking, religious freedoms do sometimes have to be balanced with public welfare and the need for one religious group to live with another and with non-religious people on some sort of common ground. There is modesty and then there is moving freely about while maintaining total anonymity. It isn’t reasonable to expect total strangers to be OK with you moving about in public with your identity so obscured that you could never be connected to any wrong-doing that you do. In that case, religious codes are at odds with reasonable societal expectations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back