How do future child molesters get through seminary?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dbranch
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbranch

Guest
They clearly have no spiritual life or maturity. Isn’t that exactly what priests must have?

You’d think their rottenness would manifest in seminary in ways their superiors would see.

I don’t know much about seminaries but I hope they are not ordaining priests based on theology scantron tests.
 
Isnt that like asking how do child molesters, rapist, abusers get through the necessary test to become Police Officer, teacher, lawyer, social worker… or any profession involving others.

There is evil everywhere if there was a test to weed them out I’d pray people woud use it.

I think the seminars does everything to make sure people who are against God are dismissed.
It’s sad that this is something we need to worry about, you would think church woud be the one place your children can feel safe.
 
Last edited:
They clearly have no spiritual life or maturity. Isn’t that exactly what priests must have?

You’d think their rottenness would manifest in seminary in ways their superiors would see.

I don’t know much about seminaries but I hope they are not ordaining priests based on theology scantron tests.
Well, do you know a child molester when you see one?

Because you’ve probably had a conversation with one at some point in your life.
 
Last edited:
Forgive me if I spoke in ignorance. But it doesn’t make sense to me how evil people have slipped through.
 
Infiltration into various circles by child molesters is an ongoing problem, tragically. Anywhere you have kids, molesters will try to get in.

If you’re referring to the current crisis in the Church, it seems only fair to point out the vast majority wasn’t pedophilia, but homosexual in nature.
Well, do you know a child molester when you see one?
He’s usually the one with “FREE CANDY” spray painted on the side of a van.
 
We have these kinds of problems nowadays because of porn.
 
They clearly have no spiritual life or maturity. Isn’t that exactly what priests must have?

You’d think their rottenness would manifest in seminary in ways their superiors would see.

I don’t know much about seminaries but I hope they are not ordaining priests based on theology scantron tests.
I don’t know what they do in all diocese, but here in Dallas there is quite a bit of screening that did not occur 20 or 30 years ago. Scroll to the bottom of this page and see video’s 2 and 3, which talk about screening currently being used for seminaries.

Given the dramatic drop in credible abuse allegations since reforms were made in early 2000’s, it appears that much has been done. (Until credible allegations every year are zero, there is still more to do)
 
40.png
annad347:
necessary test to become Police Officer, teacher, lawyer, social worker.
No, because those jobs aren’t specifically spiritual jobs.
I think the seminars does everything to make sure people who are against God are dismissed.
They should try harder.
The implication of your statement is that molestation at the hands of teachers or others is less a problem than molestation at the hands of a clergy member of the CC. Doubt you meant this…could you clarify?
 
There are 2 kinds of child sex abusers:
  • Pedophile - these are rare in the general population, and among priests. But one man can molest a whole lot of prepubescent children (think Boston). This was a problem they had long before seminary, and it may be the only problem they have. Not something they can control.
  • Regressed offenders - this is often related to a pattern: heavy drinking, locker room sex talk, imprudent behaviors in general. They can control this, but don’t. It’s related to the loose attitudes to sex and morality in some parts of the Church and society.
The pedophile is likely unaffected by seminary life, for good or bad. He is what he is. The regressed offender is affected by the spiritual, moral, and doctrinal climate, for good or bad.
 
Last edited:
Forgive me if I spoke in ignorance. But it doesn’t make sense to me how evil people have slipped through.
didn’t Judas “slip through?”
How does any evil person “slip through?”

I would challenge you back: what reforms do you think need to take place, that already aren’t taking place, in order to prevent evil people from slipping through? What is YOUR solution?
 
It would be incorrect to identify all clergy sex abuse as “pedophila”. Many of the abused were past puberty.

Also, McCarrick abused seminarians…adult men.
 
It would be incorrect to identify all clergy sex abuse as “pedophila”. Many of the abused were past puberty.

Also, McCarrick abused seminarians…adult men.
I didn’t identify all clergy sex abuse as pedophilia. The great majority of abusers are not.

BTW, McCarrick abused children, earlier on.
 
Last edited:
What is YOUR solution?
I’m not an expert on screening seminarians, not at I a car mechanic, I don’t need to have a solution for either this or my car problems. I’m saying there is a problem and those in the proper department can find a solution.
 
Perhaps you should become educated on them before making pronouncements about them without any facts.
I have facts. Loads of convicted priests have made it through seminary.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top