How do i get to heaven

• Thread starter Thread starter Socrates4Jesus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Socrates4Jesus:
This, to me, is an example of making it to heaven without doing any good works. The man [the good thief] could not be baptized or partake in Holy Communion. He did not even confess His sins & need to be forgiven (though in His mind he may have done so).
Socrates4Jesus,

Luke’s expanded account addresses some of the issues you raised. It says the good thief indeed confessed his sins and rebuked the bad thief for railing at Jesus (a good work!):

“But the other rebuked him, saying, ‘Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed justly; for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.’” (Luke 23:39-40)

Todd

This is like the man who asked a homelss person in new york " How do I get to Carnegie Hall’ the response is “Practice my man, practice” the christian faith and heaven are not that different…

Richard Lamb:
This is like the man who asked a homelss person in new york " How do I get to Carnegie Hall’ the response is “Practice my man, practice” the christian faith and heaven are not that different…
That was my answer, but you beat me to it!

40.png
Socrates4Jesus:
I think you might agree that even Gandhi, with all the good deeds he did, might not enter heaven if he knew Christ was his only Savior but refused to put his trust in Him anyway
Of course, no one but God can truly know the state of another’s soul, but I do agree with your statement. Good works alone will not get us into heaven. In the passage from Matthew, Jesus seems to be demanding some evidence that we have not only believed in Him but followed his commands. It is noteworthy that both groups call him “Lord.” It just seems remarkable to me that in this passage describing the Last Judgment, Jesus nowhere inquires about our faith, only about our service to others.

JimG

Socrates: I posted a lot, so I invite you to re-read my last set of posts. I think I answered your questions in there…and if you still are having trouble, I can try again, but please re-read my posts, and prayerfully meditate on the Scriptures I posted. I never said we merit salvation, I said Christ’s merits can be applied to us in such a way that our works become pleasing to God (well that’s what I meant anyway…sorry if I was unclear on that part). Christ makes it clear that if no fruit (works) are produced we will be cut down (remember what I said about our works, which Christ’ gives us the grace to do, so we can’t even take credit for them, are our way of accepting Christ’s grace as we go on). What did you think of my analogy with the money? Once you’ve re-read that last set.

And even more importantly (well not more importantly than the Scripture mediation, but I mean than re-reading my posts) read the Catechism’s section on justification…I provided the link above.

(Sorry it’s taken me a few days to post again).
God bless.

Socrates: I’d be happy to try again…but first I’d like you to follow my recommendations in the last post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back