How do I overcome the idea that God doesn't care?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nocoastlayman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the feeling and am in the same boat as the OP. I don’t pray as much as I used to because I kind of came to the “what’s the point?” mindset. From my perspective, for me to pray for an intention seems to be a sure way for it not to happen. I still hope I end up in heaven, moreso because I don’t want to go to hell, but it’s hard to keep that hope alive. In this life, I pretty much have no real hope, ambition, passion or anything. I’m not suicidal or anything, but every day just seems pointless.

Other people will talk to me about this and tell me I need to work on my relationship with God and that a relationship takes two and yada yada yada and completely agree with them, except that I feel like I’m the one putting in the work to maintain the relationship. I used to have a friend several years ago. We were really good friends, or so I thought. After a while, he started hanging out with a different group of people and was harder to get a hold of. Eventually, it got to the point where he never answered his phone when I called or called back when I left a voicemail. After a while of that, I just stopped calling. That’s how it feels with God. Saying prayers is like leaving a message on a voice mail to never get a response back.
Bataar,

Do you know your catholic Faith?
There seems to be lacking the fullness of the faith.

The website,“EWTN the journey home” willhelp. It it you can find besides the testimonies of many who have entered the Faith AFTER doing many hours of research and soul searching. Read their stories. Also in this website , there is a link abt deep in scripture and the fathers of the church. It will lead you to other sites.

We all nedd to build our faith and centre it in the Mass and the GRATEFUL AND ERNEST AND LOVING RECEPTION OF the greatest gift of being a catholic, Jesus our Lord in the Eucharist.All else will follow. May I suggest asking yourself this question…

“Build yourself treasure in Heaven, where the thieve,…the moth…” What is the meaning of this verse. Does it mean I must do something to build my treasure?"

“Do you go to Mass and remind yourself,
:You are at Calvary,the angels and saints are in attendence,
you are united to the whole Body of Christ,
in all its pain and sufferings throughout the whole world, into the past present and future,
and you are going to make a difference to the whole Body by your fervent participation and response at Mass.
And you are going to receive the All-mighty God Himself, who yearns to come to you with burning love and yet, is He receiving the welcome he so richly deserve?
“He is worthy of all glory,power, riches, thanksgiving and praise…
If not,” work up the grace that is within you” as St Paul appeals…
Are you grateful for Him in the gift of the eucharist?
IF YOU DONT GET THIS, ALL YOUR SEARCHING WILL BE IN VAIN.
Truth will be Humbled and Disfigured and dressed in tatters before you as before Pontius Pilate, and you will say"WHAT IS TRUTH?".

The Joy of the Lord, will be your Strength…NOT WITHOUT YOUR EFFORT AND ERNEST LOVE…

God bless,
Kenneth (SSCC 3rd order)

PS. All the points you have made are the subtle temptations of the devil.You do realise this, dont you? Ive been tempted thereof too!!
Half truths…You will be able to counter them…seek the truth of the church teachings to shore up what you may be lacking…
She is the Bullwark and Pillar of Truth.

“It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in men,
It is better to take refuge in the Lord, than to trust in princes.”(Psalm)
 
Then why doesn’t he talk to people who need him? Too busy?
Maybe I should have put the :rolleyes: < sarcastic sign after my caption of Jesus crucified (titled “I don’t (really) care about you!”). But I thought it was more powerfully satirical and insightful without it.

Having read some of your previous posts here, I’m confused. Was this also an unmarked sarcastic post … or did your mood abruptly change when you commented on that excerpt from my post?

Taking it at face value, I’d say … Jesus does indeed talk to us who need him. And does more than that. God*** is ***“busy” … but rather talented and capable. More than that … “God is love”.

He does let us suffer sometimes (a servant is not greater than his master), but not without purpose. Sometimes the suffering purifies us, helps us stop sinning. Sometimes like Job, He holds us up as a sign and for our eventual eternal glory.

It may SEEM to us that he “doesn’t talk to us”. Great saints have experienced a “dark night of the soul” like St. John of the Cross … or Jesus Himself in His Agony in the Garden. But as God is everywhere, maybe it is our listening and not His that is deficient.

I have been shamed at the thought of the cross – and accused Him of "not playing fair’ when I was in the midst of hurling a stemwinder of a complaint in His direction. But loving the Lord is always a better solace than my ever escalating pity party.

I probably have taken your comment wrong, since I didn’t quite understand it. My comment was directed toward the this thread’s title and the OP. It’s a sentiment I am familiar with. And “overcoming” the idea (temptation?) may be a process rather than a one time event.

The writer of Psalm 22 and “my God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” was doubtless inspired by the Holy Spirit … and Jesus re-emphasized this lesson on the cross when he quoted it.

IT’S A POWERFUL TEMPTATION …

I believe we do get tempted with this idea. It’s something Satan would suggest … casting doubt upon God’s love … and portraying Him as far from love. Aloof. Detached. NOT interested in a personal, intimate and love filled relationship with us, his children.

In the Garden of Eden he convinced Eve that God was selfish and domineering and that His Law was not for her benefit but for her limitation. With this temptation “God doesn’t care” he tempts the soul to despair of love – or when it’s given in another tone of voice – to indulge ourselves in any destructive sin we please because :rolleyes: “God does not care one whit!”

…That We can Counter With a Powerful Inspiration … and Praise :yup:

A more fruitful meditation would be joyfully praising the Lord for his many blessings to us.

Taste something delicious … praise Him for our taste buds. Music … for hearing. Call someone we love … and thank our creator for the wonderful things in our lives which are gifts, after all. And let’s admit … gift givers usually DO care. 🙂

It’s rather far fetched to expect a cold, detached, disinterested God to nonetheless think of us long enough to bestow wonderous gifts upon us to … what … just give the impression of care when really He doesn’t? :pshaw: Nah! 😉
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anytimequilter View Post
This isn’t an option for everyone. If you have this option appreciate that. In all honesty I would try to go during the week, but I am not able to. I have to be at work at 6 am and the local churches don’t have mass until 7 am another one has mass at 8 am.
My only option would be to go to Saturday evening mass and Sunday morning mass… which I admit I don’t do both…
Going for the weekend Mass is not an optional extra. You realise this, dont you?
Daily Mass is optional…
Ask your Saviour to help you. He is there to help us in our need and our weakness…
See the weekly Mass as the foundational stone on which to build your spiritual life, without which you will wander in the desert for 40 years, as the Psalmist tells us “for 40 years I was wearied of these people. And I said, their hearts are astray.These people do not know my ways. Then I took an oath in my anger, never shall they enter my rest.”
Ask Jesus our Lord, and He will gently and surely lead you to do the necessary and more. Our Blessed Mother and the saints will come to your aid, if you call on them.
God bless.
Of course I realize Sunday is not optional. I have gone to Mass every Sunday and holy days of obligation for years and years. I said my only option would be to go to Saturday mass and then go again on Sunday. I don’t do both… I only go on Sunday mornings

I have been going to the Adoration chapel for years and asking Jesus to help me. I have said novenas to Mary, a number of saints and the Holy Spirit.

When you knock and knock but no one answers that is when you start to feel like God doesn’t care.
 
Of course I realize Sunday is not optional. I have gone to Mass every Sunday and holy days of obligation for years and years. I said my only option would be to go to Saturday mass and then go again on Sunday. I don’t do both… I only go on Sunday mornings

I have been going to the Adoration chapel for years and asking Jesus to help me. I have said novenas to Mary, a number of saints and the Holy Spirit.

When you knock and knock but no one answers that is when you start to feel like God doesn’t care.
Exactly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top