How do protestants explain the time between Christ and the reformation?

• Thread starter Thread starter Eark
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Catholic Church is already ONE Church regardless of all those divided from her. They (the divided) are outside. They own that. The Catholic Church is THE CHURCH Jesus established on Peter as head and the apostles united with him. . Jesus gave all His promises to His Church. If division continues among the dividers, till the end of time, that doesn’t and won’t change the status of the Catholic Church.
Again, your definition seems to rely upon an organization apart from the right proclamation of the word. That being said, it is the teachings of Peter and the apostles to whom we appeal when discussing our doctrinal differences.
We don’t live in a consequence free existence. The consequences for division don’t go away for those in division from Our Lord’s Church, … holding to the various errors and heresies they profess.
I would agree, doctrine matters. This is why we cannot in good conscience ignore the doctrinal issues that divide us. Again, as I have said, unity is achieved through unity of doctrine.

Last edited:
IOW the Catholic Church. The only Church Our Lord established.

Your view includes all those who WERE Catholic but are now outside the Catholic Church .
Umm, no. My view is that the Catholic Church is not only and exclusively found in communion with the Bishop of Rome.

The Catholic Church is already ONE Church regardless of all those divided from her. They (the divided) are outside. They own that. The Catholic Church is THE CHURCH Jesus established on Peter as head and the apostles united with him. . Jesus gave all His promises to His Church. If division continues among the dividers, till the end of time, that doesn’t and won’t change the status of the Catholic Church.
40.png
Hodos:
Again, your definition seems to rely upon an organization apart from the right proclamation of the word.
My definition relies on scripture and Tradition

That organization (The Catholic Church) wrote the NT scriptures AND canonized those 27 books AND canonized 46 OT books = 73 books

YOU rely on 66 books. 7 books removed from scripture by the heretic Martin Luther, the father of Protestantism.

So…Re: “the right proclamation of the word”

We can test that anytime you want.
We don’t live in a consequence free existence. The consequences for division don’t go away for those in division from Our Lord’s Church, … holding to the various errors and heresies they profess.
40.png
Hodos:
I would agree, doctrine matters. This is why we cannot in good conscience ignore the doctrinal issues that divide us. Again, as I have said, unity is achieved through unity of doctrine.
Don’t forget,

Relativism, indifferentism, latitudinarianism etc. are heresies

From Pius IX syllabus of errors

THE SYLLABUS OF ERRORS CONDEMNED BY PIUS IX
III. INDIFFERENTISM, LATITUDINARIANISM

Errors in thinking and behaving.
  1. Every man is free to embrace and profess that religion which, guided by the light of reason, he shall consider true. – Allocution “Maxima quidem,” June 9, 1862; Damnatio “Multiplices inter,” June 10, 1851.
  2. Man may, in the observance of any religion whatever, find the way of eternal salvation, and arrive at eternal salvation. – Encyclical “Qui pluribus,” Nov. 9, 1846.
  3. Good hope at least is to be entertained of the eternal salvation of all those who are not at all in the true Church of Christ. – Encyclical “Quanto conficiamur,” Aug. 10, 1863, etc.
  4. Protestantism is nothing more than another form of the same true Christian religion, in which form it is given to please God equally as in the Catholic Church. –
    Encyclical “Noscitis,” Dec. 8, 1849.
BTW, Error / heresy are synonyms https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/heresy

The Catholic Church is already ONE Church regardless of all those divided from her. They (the divided) are outside. They own that.
We all own it - at least according to the Catholic Church:

“But in subsequent centuries much more serious dissensions made their appearance and quite large communities came to be separated from full communion with the Catholic Church - for which, often enough, men of both sides were to blame.”

Maybe you’re guiltless when it comes to bringing the Catholic Church and her separated brothers and sisters together Steve. Perhaps, you’re one of the lucky ones for whom a pile of stones might come in handy. As for me, I am guilty as charged, and throw myself on the mercy of the court. My stones will go unused.

The Catholic Church is already ONE Church regardless of all those divided from her. They (the divided) are outside. They own that.
40.png
TULIPed:
We all own it - at least according to the Catholic Church:

“But in subsequent centuries much more serious dissensions made their appearance and quite large communities came to be separated from full communion with the Catholic Church - for which, often enough, men of both sides were to blame.”

Maybe you’re guiltless when it comes to bringing the Catholic Church and her separated brothers and sisters together Steve. Perhaps, you’re one of the lucky ones for whom a pile of stones might come in handy. As for me, I am guilty as charged, and throw myself on the mercy of the court. My stones will go unused.
I’m not throwing stones. Regardless of some people’s actions, truth is truth. Truth doesn’t change

That organization (The Catholic Church) wrote the NT scriptures AND canonized those 27 books AND canonized 46 OT books = 73 books

YOU rely on 66 books. 7 books removed from scripture by the heretic Martin Luther, the father of Protestantism.

Thank you for acknowledging that the teachings of Peter and the apostles is not definitional to your corpus of doctrine. This was my initial point regarding the differences in doctrine.

With regard to your reference to the canon of scripture, I noticed you have some subtractions from the canon accepted by many in the east. It seems your definition of canon is as fluid as Luther’s was, although Luther was in agreement with Jerome before him.
Don’t forget,

Again, I am not advocating any “ism” you have stated here.

Last edited:
Apologies to the OP, but I can’t resist: there’s a new movie coming out and the trailer looks great.

Topically - the time after Skynet goes sentient is kind of like the time after the Reformation. (I know that was really weak, but at least I tried Mods)…

As already hinted at, even within these points of agreement, there’s considerable diversity of explanation. Some will basically stop at the end of the first century, saying that corruption basically took hold of the Church right away. Others will quote mine the Church Fathers till St. Augustine (I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Protestant go further), either ignoring statements that they disagree with or rejecting them because…they disagree with it…Sure, they have reasons, but finding one that can’t be easily reduced to “I interpret Scripture differently” is hard.
I think it was Dr David Anders on Called To Communion (EWTN Radio), whom talked about his conversion to the Catholic Church. He was in a well known Protestant Seminary (?) College and they would quote the Church Fathers, but it would be selected quotes and not the entire thing. They were told it was not a good idea to delve into the writings of the fathers on their own or something to that effect. He originally was all about saving Catholics and converting them to Christianity (yes Catholics are Christians). He ended up studying the Church Fathers and he realized they were Catholic in their beliefs. That was one of the things that caused him to become Catholic.

There are some denominations, such as Methodists, that actually encourage their seminarians to read the Church Fathers.

There are words for the handful that actually do this: “Catholic” and “Orthodox”. In all seriousness, a great many who do this convert.
Yup Dr David Anders from the radio program Called to Communion is an example. 😉

40.png
steve-b:

Thank you for acknowledging that the teachings of Peter and the apostles is not definitional to your corpus of doctrine. This was my initial point regarding the differences in doctrine.
What?

Where do you get THAT?
Hodes:
With regard to your reference to the canon of scripture, I noticed you have some subtractions from the canon accepted by many in the east. It seems your definition of canon is as fluid as Luther’s was, although Luther was in agreement with Jerome before him.
Jerome ultimately agreed with all the books. Luther was an excommunicated heretic
Don’t forget,

40.png
Hodos:
Again, I am not advocating any “ism” you have stated here.
Actually go back and re read your answers. You were advocating relativism

Last edited:
That argument was already waged in the upper room when Satan got the apostles in an argument over who among THEM (the apostles) is the greatest.
Oh, don’t be over the top. If anything, the claim of universal jurisdiction fits that description. The Bishop of Rome claims he is the greatest.
I don’t think that is the thought process, however. I think the Catholic belief about the pope is sincere and honest.

You’re better than this, Steve.

40.png
steve-b:
That argument was already waged in the upper room when Satan got the apostles in an argument over who among THEM (the apostles) is the greatest.
Oh, don’t be over the top. If anything, the claim of universal jurisdiction fits that description. The Bishop of Rome claims he is the greatest.
I don’t think that is the thought process, however. I think the Catholic belief about the pope is sincere and honest.

You’re better than this, Steve.
May I suggest, open the links provided.

40.png
steve-b:
Jerome ultimately agreed with all the books. Luther was an excommunicated heretic
Was he excommunicated because of his view of the canon? No. So this response is ad hominem.
His train wreck on scripture (demoting 7 canonical books to non scripture status) came AFTER he was excommunicated.

The reasons for his excommunication however, were not small and they were voluminous

It should be noted, Luther was given ample warning. He didn’t take it. By his own choice.

Luther, Exsurge Domine, Bull of Leo X (1520 ) Luther’s errors
http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Leo10/l10exdom.htm errors listed

then came the excommunication
Decet Romanum Pontificem Leo X ( 1521 )
http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Leo10/l10decet.htm excommunication

Last edited:
His train wreck on scripture (demoting 7 canonical books to non scripture status) came AFTER he was excommunicated.
Yes. He had a minority CATHOLIC view of the canon, shared by Cajetan and others. No one was excommunicated for that view prior to Trent.
The rest is irrelevant to the conversation.

He ended up studying the Church Fathers and he realized they were Catholic in their beliefs.
Sort of related to the original question of this thread, I think looking into Church history didn’t initially strike me for how Catholic the Church Fathers’ beliefs were on many of the key points of debate. What struck me was how important the visible institution was. You either submitted to it, or you were deemed a heretic.

As a Presbyterian with traditionalist leanings, I was already in the camp that would hollar, “That’s semi-pelagianism!” But while we acted like some semi-restorationist movement echoing the cries of “heresy” of the early Church, there was something that seemed deeply wrong. Once it came time for us to be declared heretics by that same institution, it was suddenly the institution that was heretical.

That troubled me for a while. I couldn’t shake the feeling that we were like Adam and Eve, who communed with God until the time came for them to choose themselves over Him. It couldn’t shake the feeling that we were like the Israelites, who praised God when it was agreeable and chased after idols when tribulation struck. Sure, for any old man-made institution, it wouldn’t matter, but that’s not what we were dealing with. We were dealing with an institution that could trace its lineage to God Himself. Even beyond that, and even with a traditional Protestant mindset, this was the institution God had worked through to pump out many inerrant documents against various heresies. At that point, I think anyone not troubled at least a little has either not thought about it or is so arrogant as to be clearly driven by pride.

Sure, it isn’t why I converted in the end. There were a lot of things. But that original nagging feeling was one reason I did open up to a thoughtful investigation of Catholic teaching.

40.png
adf417:
If it were about looks Jon, your ecumenical council count would drop to 1. It is quite clear that the council of Nicea 325 looked much worse for the church as a whole that anytime since and yet you profess councils after this point.

Peace!!!
I disagree. The seven councils are such a resource of authoritative determinations in the Church. We’ve had nothing like them since.
That was not the point Jon. You said-
It did not look weak and confused during the seven great councils of the Church. It is because of Schism that a true council cannot be held to solve our differences.
If you think the church didn’t look weak and confused at the time of Nicea my great respect for you diminishes Jon, well, not really! :crazy_face: but i sure hope you reconsider that statment.

Peace!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back