How do protestants explain the time between Christ and the reformation?

• Thread starter Thread starter Eark
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please pick a truth and profess it, stick with it, and profess it to be absolute truth as partial truth is not from God.
Great! Now can you PLEASE let all those looking for this truth know which denomination, communion, church, it can be found. There are billions of people looking for this truth Hodos, please don’t hold back for the sake of their souls.
I don’t believe I have ever heard this professed from the Protestant apologetic.
Sadly i have and it was strongly implied above. There is a saying among many of my protestant brothers that comes from a famous preacher im sure you have heard of and it goes something like this:
We all agree on 90% of doctrinal issues and the 10% we dont agree on cannot be known.
Please feel free to clarify or clean up this quote as im sure it has been around a while.

Peace!!!

Last edited:
If you think the church didn’t look weak and confused at the time of Nicea my great respect for you diminishes Jon, well, not really! :crazy_face: but i sure hope you reconsider that statment.
Comparatively speaking, I should have said.
Compared to how embarrassingly divided we are today, the time of the councils shows a Church that is growing, debating, but essentially, one exception that I think of, United.

40.png
adf417:
If you think the church didn’t look weak and confused at the time of Nicea my great respect for you diminishes Jon, well, not really! :crazy_face: but i sure hope you reconsider that statment.
Compared to how embarrassingly divided we are today, the time of the councils shows a Church that is growing, debating, but essentially, one exception that I think of, United.
Except for the fact the church was NOT united hence the councils discerning the most basic tenets of our/their faith that caused great division.

Peace!!!

40.png
JonNC:
40.png
adf417:
Except for the fact the church was NOT united hence the councils discerning the most basic tenets of our/their faith that caused great division.

Peace!!!
Would you say we are more united now?

40.png
steve-b:
His train wreck on scripture (demoting 7 canonical books to non scripture status) came AFTER he was excommunicated.
Yes. He had a minority CATHOLIC view of the canon, shared by Cajetan and others. No one was excommunicated for that view prior to Trent.
The rest is irrelevant to the conversation.
Re: Cajetan, And Jerome, which you are so quick to bring up, that opens the door to address Luther and the reformation Revolt.

So:

The important point of this is, Jerome’s translation of the bible, included the deutero canon (link follows). While Jerome was wrong in the beginning for doubting them, to his defense, the finalized canon hadn’t been decreed yet. HOWEVER, when pope Damasus I, at the council of Rome, decreed the 73 book canon, Jerome included them in the canon of the Vulgate. Jerome ultimately came around to accepting the Deutero canon. THAT is an important point to make.

AND let’s not dismiss

Jerome could not go over the head of a papal decree, [From Jurgens “Faith of the Fathers”, scroll to pg 406 for the list of books] http://books.google.com/books?id=l62q-d4Wi20C&pg=PA405&lpg=PA405&dq=The+Decree +of+Pope+St.+Damasus+I,+Council+of+Rome. +382+A.D&source=bl&ots=ZeUc7S4cIZ&sig=cU TkVsWkzas9JkjusNcC0I1H6Sc&hl=en&sa=X&ei= V2wUVMH3Fo2MyASvuILABQ&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBw#v =onepage&q=The%20Decree%20of%20Pope%20St .%20Damasus%20I%2C%20Council%20of%20Rome .%20382%20A.D&f=false

AND

Re: Cajetan, he was also wrong for doubting them but for a different reason. The canon was decreed and didn’t change since 382. Through local councils and one ecumenical council, it didn’t change. That means the canon didn’t change since 382. Fast forward to Trent. That’s over 1100 yrs with no change in the canon. So just to make the point clear, for all those who are following the revolt, Trent, would end the debate.

What’s important to take away from this is,
  1. neither Jerome nor Cajetan changed the canon. Do you understand that point?
AND
  1. Neither one had the power to change the canon. Do you understand THAT as well?
AND

Cajetan looking back in time, could not go over the head of Ecumenical council Florence, Session 11 (1442) , 100 years before Trent that identified All 73 Books of the canon by name, beginning in paragraph 6 of session 11

Do you understand those points being made?

Luther on his own changed the canon in his bible for those in revolt. And to this day, that is the Protestant canon.

Last edited:
Re: Cajetan, he was also wrong for doubting them but for a different reason. The canon was decreed and didn’t change since 382. Through local councils and one ecumenical council, it didn’t change. That means the canon didn’t change since 382. Fast forward to Trent. That’s over 1100 yrs with no change in the canon. So just to make the point clear, for all those who are following the revolt, Trent, would end the debate.
Question:
Yes or no, was Cajetan excommunicated for his stated position on the canon?
You know the answer is no. And that is because prior to Trent, that position was permitted. Luther died before Trent and cannot be held accountable to it.

Luther’s position on the canon was essentially the same as Cajetan. I am really quite weary with the double standard expressed on the issue by some Catholic apologists.
One can say Luther and Cajetan were both wrong about the canon, and I generally agree, but to hold them to different standards is disingenuous and uncharitable.

Luther on his own changed the canon in his bible for those in revolt. And to this day, that is the Protestant canon.
Luther did not change the canon, anymore than Cajetan did. He expressed his opinion about it. He organized his translation differently because of the opinion, but he couldn’t change the canon, anymore than those who excluded the DC’s could. If he changed the canon, then your DRB would look like his Die Bibel. It doesn’t.
Neither one had the power to change the canon. Do you understand THAT as well?
Do you understand that Luther did not have the power to change the canon, either?

Last edited:
Re: Cajetan, And Jerome, which you are so quick to bring up, that opens the door to address Luther and the reformation Revolt.
If you want to have a civil discussion, perhaps these kinds of things should be eliminated from your apologia.

IDK. I do think your definition of “we” and “united” would be different than mine and would have to be defined first. Also within these definitions, theological unity and practical unity within the respective eras would would need to be considered. Either way im not sure i am qualified to answer that question.

Peace!!!

40.png
JonNC:
IDK. I do think your definition of “we” and “united” would be different than mine and would have to be defined first. Also within these definitions, theological unity and practical unity within the respective eras would would need to be considered. Either way im not sure i am qualified to answer that question.

Peace!!!
Fair enough. The “we” I mean is the universal Church Militant. Catholics, Orthodox, Lutherans, Anglicans, Baptists, Reformed, Anabaptists. All those who confess the Triune God.

40.png
steve-b:
Question:
Yes or no, was Cajetan excommunicated for his stated position on the canon?
No.

Had Cajetan kept his position, which he didn’t, he would have been in trouble.
40.png
JonNC:
You know the answer is no. And that is because prior to Trent, that position was permitted. Luther died before Trent and cannot be held accountable to it.
Since you don’t open links, here’s from session 11 , 1442, from the previous post and link

Excerpt:

"Most firmly it believes, professes and preaches that the one true God, Father, Son and holy Spirit, is the creator of all things that are, visible and invisible, who, when he willed it, made from his own goodness all creatures, both spiritual and corporeal, good indeed because they are made by the supreme good, but mutable because they are made from nothing, and it asserts that there is no nature of evil because every nature, in so far as it is a nature, is good. It professes that one and the same God is the author of the old and the new Testamentthat is, the law and the prophets, and the gospel — since the saints of both testaments spoke under the inspiration of the same Spirit. It accepts and venerates their books, whose titles are as follows.

Five books of Moses, namely Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy; Joshua, Judges, Ruth, four books of Kings, two of Paralipomenon, Esdras, Nehemiah, Tobit, Judith, Esther, Job, Psalms of David, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Wisdom, Ecclesiasticus, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Baruch, Ezechiel, Daniel; the twelve minor prophets, namely Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi; two books of the Maccabees; the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John; fourteen letters of Paul, to the Romans, two to the Corinthians, to the Galatians, to the Ephesians, to the Philippians, two to the Thessalonians, to the Colossians, two to Timothy, to Titus, to Philemon, to the Hebrews; two letters of Peter, three of John, one of James, one of Jude; Acts of the Apostles; Apocalypse of John."

As in 73 books to the canon. The same canon decreed by pope Damasus I, in 382 -----> to Florence in 1440, that’s 1060 years later

No changes, no additions no subtractions to the canon
40.png
JonNC:
Luther’s position on the canon was essentially the same as Cajetan. I am really quite weary with the double standard expressed on the issue by some Catholic apologists.
There’s no double standard. Cajetan didn’t obstinately remain with his views. Luther obstinately did hold to his views. That’s a VERY SIMPLE POINT.

Last edited:
Last edited:
No.

Before Trent?
I never claimed there was. Your presentation is a deflection from the point. I am not questioning the consistency of the western canon through the centuries.
There’s no double standard. Cajetan didn’t obstinately remain with his views. Luther obstinately did hold to his views. That’s a VERY SIMPLE POINT.
Got it. Luther should have known the outcome of Trent before he died. That’s apparently what you are saying.

40.png
JonNC:
40.png
steve-b:
If you want to have a civil discussion, perhaps these kinds of things should be eliminated from your apologia.
Since you don’t open links you can’t see how terms are used Not a Reformation but a Revolution | Catholic Answers

The Church has always been in reform NOT revolt
Karl Keating is a Catholic. So let me put it to you this way, for over a decade I have gone out of my way to be very respectful of Catholic teachings and beliefs. I have challenged non-Catholics who have come on here and used terms to define Catholics and your teachings is a way that you don’t.
It is out of courtesy.

Your average western non-Catholic, when referring to the Reformation, use that term.
Common courtesy is appropriate.

Last edited:
No.

40.png
JonNC:
Before Trent?
After Trent
40.png
JonNC:
I never claimed there was. Your presentation is a deflection from the point. I am not questioning the consistency of the western canon through the centuries.
By making the canon “geographical” as you do and not universal, you are equalizing differences in the canon.
40.png
JonNC:
Got it. Luther should have known the outcome of Trent before he died. That’s apparently what you are saying.
As I said back HERE we see Luther’s errors listed before the excommunication took place, and way before Luther created his own bible.

Again, The following is why Luther was excommunicated

Luther, Exsurge Domine, Bull of Leo X (1520 ) Luther’s errors
http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Leo10/l10exdom.htm errors listed

He wouldn’t change, so came his excommunication

Decet Romanum Pontificem Leo X ( 1521 )
http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Leo10/l10decet.htm excommunication

As far as creating his own version of his bible, he was already excommunicated from the Church by then.

40.png
steve-b:
40.png
JonNC:
40.png
steve-b:
Since you don’t open links you can’t see how terms are used Not a Reformation but a Revolution | Catholic Answers

The Church has always been in reform NOT revolt
Karl Keating is a Catholic. So let me put it to you this way, for over a decade I have gone out of my way to be very respectful of Catholic teachings and beliefs. I have challenged non-Catholics who have come on here and used terms to define Catholics and your teachings is a way that you don’t.
It is out of courtesy.

Your average western non-Catholic, when referring to the Reformation, use that term.
Common courtesy is appropriate.
Keating used to be president of CA. I thought he made respectful points.

The link I provided shows why he thinks the reformation is NOT a reformation. Thousands of divisions later, which (he calls offshoots) , ALL claiming to be the Church, isn’t reformation.

Last edited:
After Trent
Exactly. Luther cannot be held to that standard.
By making the canon “geographical” as you do and not universal, you are equalizing differences in the canon.
The canons of the Eastern sees have always been different.
As far as creating his own version of his bible, he was already excommunicated from the Church by then.
Exactly. His opinion of the canon was irrelevant to his excommunication.

In review.
  1. he was permitted his opinion of the canon
  2. Trent ended the liberty of Catholics to views of the canon such as that held by Luther and Cajetan
  3. Luther cannot be held to Trent because he died prior to Trent’s decision which, by the way, there was significant debate about.
As for reading links, I always read links. I have read Exsurge Domine, and other Catholic documents about the list of his errors from the Catholic perspective.

After Trent
40.png
JonNC:
Exactly. Luther cannot be held to that standard.
40.png
steve-b:
By Luther’s time, The canon hadn’t changed for over 1000 yrs.
40.png
JonNC:
The canons of the Eastern sees have always been different.
40.png
steve-b:
for clarification, not among Eastern Catholics.
40.png
JonNC:
Exactly. His opinion of the canon was irrelevant to his excommunication.
40.png
steve-b:
I don’t think I ever said it was.

the links I gave for his excommunication came way before he came up with his own bible.
40.png
JonNC:
In review.
  1. he was permitted his opinion of the canon
Even though This was long after he was excommunicated, He would have come up with his own rules anyway which is what he did.
40.png
JonNC:
  1. Trent ended the liberty of Catholics to views of the canon such as that held by Luther and Cajetan
Luther considered himself his own magisterium. Cajetan did NOT.
40.png
JonNC:
  1. Luther cannot be held to Trent because he died prior to Trent’s decision
True.

His actions at his judgement though, is what he had to worry about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back