T
TimothyH
Guest
I know little about the Eastern Catholic Churches and less about the Orthodox. I won’t pretend to have an answer here.Great post Tim, but again, it doesn’t answer the conflict between the seats of the other 11 apostles and Rome…The other apostles were promised infallibility in Mathew 18, and through apostolic succession, the Orthodox churches that can trace back to the apostles should also be able to claim it. But, if this is true, how can both Rome and the others be infallile when they do disagree on various aspects of the faith?
I do know that the EC Churches are in union with Rome and we don’t disagree on dogma.
Take purgatory for example. We don’t disagree. Some claim that the EC Churches have no such belief as Purgatory, that they don’t believe in purgatory, but if we look at what the Church actually teaches about purgatory, they have the same believe but express it in a different way. I won’t pretend to be an expert here and will probably incur the wrath of some EC’;s, but they believe in theosis, and perfection of the faithful believer before entering heaven. We call it purification. They call it theosis.
Even things like the filioque are not disagreements but different ways of expressing faithin the same things.
It is an interesting question and I really don’t know how to answer exactly, except my own opinion is that it is best to stay firmly seated in the barque of Peter.
My best friend is a Methodist Pastor. The Methodists broke off from the Anglicans, and the Anglicans broke off from the Catholics. My friend gets mad when he comes to my house because he has to pass a “Wesleyan Fellowship” Church, which is a breakoff from the Methodists! Now I see that the Church has removed the words “Wesleyan Fellowship” from their sign. I guess they broke off and formed a new Church.
Peter tried to get out of the boat. He walked on water for a few steps but eventually started sinking. That’s what these other churches are doing, getting out of the boat. They may be able to walk on water for a little while but…
I’ll encourage you to continue to ask questions. Some get uptight with this and see it as disobedience, but I see it as a deep need to know God, and so you ask. It is a desire to know God, and that is good. I have felt is myself, and left the Church for a while to go find God, and he brought me right back to the Church where I found Jesus saying, “Don’t you know that I must be in my father’s house?” to my Mother Mary.
Your questions are definitely God leading you somewhere, probably to a very deep faith and trust in God. My experience is that you might just need that trust some day.
-Tim-