I am, by my very human nature, worldly…and since it is unlikely I will take vows of poverty, I will remain worldly.
However, the question is how can we become “less” worldly.
Still very worldly, I have become less worldly, by increasing my almsgiving.
Sure, I still meet the financial obligations of my family, and enjoy nice things, I am less focused on the number of hours spent at work, salary demands, and amassing “disposable income” to acquire more “toys”.
The disposable income thing has prompted me to be more generous in my almsgiving, and as a result, I find myself in the position of sharing the financial blessings God has given to me, making me realize all I have is not mine, but His, and His giving me money allows me to be an instrument of his will to help others.
Part of my monthly budget process used to be to allocate first to retirement investments, then “mad money”, then bills, then day to day expenses, then if there was any left over give (only a portion of it) in alms to charities or the Church. Now, the first allocation I make is for almsgiving. I find I still have enough for the essentials, and am find myself far more spiritually satisfied than I used to be.
Oh…I still watch TV…worldliness is more than abstinence. Abstinence is a sacrifice, but almsgiving is a sacrifice that is not just helping yourself, but helping others…as we are called to do by Christ.
Peace and all Good!