How do you talk to your partner about abstaining from pre-marital sex?

• Thread starter Thread starter sunflower314
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you certainly shouldn’t settle for a person just because they are Catholic. If you find a suitable partner outside the Church then why not marry them? You may never find a more compatible person, regardless of whether they are Catholic or not

Well you certainly shouldn’t settle for a person just because they are Catholic. If you find a suitable partner outside the Church then why not marry them? You may never find a more compatible person, regardless of whether they are Catholic or not
Well, it is certainly possible to find a non-Catholic who is far more supportive of your adherence to the faith than the fellow Catholics you have known. If you find someone who is compatible except not being wild about the time and attention you give to the faith or who isn’t positively in favor of raising their children Catholic, you’re asking for problems. No, you need someone who likes you better the more faithful you are and who is a force in favor of growing in your faith.

In other words, mere tolerance is not enough. You need a spouse who will be a force in favor of your growth and in favor of the conditions necessary for a home that is a domestic church.

Last edited:
You may never find a more compatible person, regardless of whether they are Catholic or not
As far as I am concerned not being a practising Catholic makes someone incompatible with me. I know some people have had happy mixed marriages, but it wouldn’t work for me.

Partner as in the joke “my partner in crime” or your partner in life

40.png
rosejmj:
Well, it is certainly possible to find a non-Catholic who is far more supportive of your adherence to the faith than the fellow Catholics you have known. If you find someone who is compatible except not being wild about the time and attention you give to the faith or who isn’t positively in favor of raising their children Catholic, you’re asking for problems. No, you need someone who likes you better the more faithful you are and who is a force in favor of growing in your faith.

In other words, mere tolerance is not enough. You need a spouse who will be a force in favor of your growth and in favor of the conditions necessary for a home that is a domestic church.
As far as I am concerned not being a practising Catholic makes someone incompatible with me. I know some people have had happy mixed marriages, but it wouldn’t work for me.
I couldn’t agree more with either of these responses.

There are trans-confessional marriages that work, and that were the best choice for all people concerned — both spouses as well as any children they might have. I get that. But as for anyone who has an issue with the Church’s preference for Catholics marrying fellow Catholics, then that is an issue they have with Pope Paul VI (and with many who preceded him, both popes and otherwise), not with you or with me.

We have fought the “wars of whether it is a good idea to marry non-Catholics or not” on these forums so many times, that I have quite a distaste for belaboring it further. Some people have very well demonstrated that for them, it was a good idea. That’s why we have dispensations for disparity of cult and for mixed religion. In each and every case, the bishop (or his lieutenant) takes a look at the individual situation and makes the decision “is this going to be okay or not?”. In our time and in this culture, it’s pretty much rubber-stamped. And just to play devil’s advocate for a moment, I think it would even be a good thing, to force couples to stop for a moment and do a reality check, if one is a faithful, practicing, orthodox Catholic, and the other is just a “cultural and only cultural Catholic”, a “Chreaster”, if you will (portmanteau of “Christmas and Easter”, i.e., the only time they ever go to Mass). And, yes, there are other things about which I’d ask questions, other issues I’d raise, and anybody who reads my poor rude scratchings on a regular basis probably knows what those things are, but I’ll leave that be.

Maybe it is God’s Will that you marry someone who is Catholic and might be less compatible with you than that non-Catholic partner, yet is “compatible enough” and you could have a happy marriage together.

I don’t believe that the Church teaches “there is one perfect partner for you, you will eventually meet them if marriage is your vocation, and that is the person you should marry, that person and no one else”. (If she does, someone please direct me to that teaching.) There are any number of people any one person could marry and have a good marriage.

I can only speak for my own experience. I was with my wife for 14 years. No marriage is “all good” or “all bad”. There were many things good about our marriage. Our approach to money management was outstanding, if a bit unorthodox. We never fought over money. Many couples do. And we shared the Faith in common. I was thinking today of once when we visited a basilica on vacation. We knelt before the Blessed Sacrament (I think It was exposed) and recited the entire 15-decade rosary. She believed, and I believed. (Aside from her invalid marriage, she’s probably a more orthodox Catholic than I am.) Exact same faith, in lockstep with one another. If I were ever to remarry — if she would die, or if we would ever receive that declaration of nullity — and I were to become engaged to a non-Catholic, someone who doesn’t believe in the Real Presence, someone who doesn’t say the rosary, someone who doesn’t do Adoration, I’d be wishing on our wedding day that she were Catholic and believed in these things.

If I’m ever in those circumstances, I’d better marry a Catholic. Memo from me to me.

Last edited:
We have fought the “wars of whether it is a good idea to marry non-Catholics or not” on these forums so many times, that I have quite a distaste for belaboring it further. Some people have very well demonstrated that for them, it was a good idea. That’s why we have dispensations for disparity of cult and for mixed religion. In each and every case, the bishop (or his lieutenant) takes a look at the individual situation and makes the decision “is this going to be okay or not?”. In our time and in this culture, it’s pretty much rubber-stamped. And just to play devil’s advocate for a moment, I think it would even be a good thing, to force couples to stop for a moment and do a reality check, if one is a faithful, practicing, orthodox Catholic, and the other is just a “cultural and only cultural Catholic”, a “Chreaster”, if you will (portmanteau of “Christmas and Easter”, i.e., the only time they ever go to Mass). And, yes, there are other things about which I’d ask questions, other issues I’d raise, and anybody who reads my poor rude scratchings on a regular basis probably knows what those things are, but I’ll leave that be.
Well, when it is a serious Catholic and a lax Catholic, the bishop knows that as long as both are free to marry the couple still has the right to marry. When it is a Catholic and a non-Catholic, the bishop has authority to say whether or not the spiritual welfare of the Catholic and the couple’s children precludes the marriage. Since people intent on marriage have this way of finding a way to get married, I think bishops have opted to make certain everyone has been advised of the obstacles they face rather than forbidding marriage in the Church at the risk of seeing the couple opt to marry and live their lives elsewhere. (I wouldn’t exactly call that a rubber stamp.)
If I were ever to remarry — if she would die, or if we would ever receive that declaration of nullity — and I were to become engaged to a non-Catholic, someone who doesn’t believe in the Real Presence, someone who doesn’t say the rosary, someone who doesn’t do Adoration, I’d be wishing on our wedding day that she were Catholic and believed in these things.

If I’m ever in those circumstances, I’d better marry a Catholic. Memo from me to me.
The memo from you to you had better read, “Only date Catholics you’d marry.” When you find a splendid person and they’ve become attached to you and want to make a life with you, you’re going to be choosing between rejecting them (in the hopes that you’ll ever want anyone else) or going ahead and marrying that splendid person. You cannot wait until it is time to pop the question to make a rejection for reasons you’d have to admit to the person you’re hurting that you saw coming a mile off. That is not a decent way to treat someone. Why date them when they are looking for a spouse and you’ve already rejected them? You’re wasting their time and using them, really.

Last edited:
Since people intent on marriage have this way of finding a way to get married, I think bishops have opted to make certain everyone has been advised of the obstacles they face rather than forbidding marriage in the Church at the risk of seeing the couple opt to marry and live their lives elsewhere.
Quite aptly put. In today’s world, people generally don’t fear going to hell, and nobody in the world, other than orthodox Catholics totally faithful to the magisterium, will think twice about a Catholic marrying before a justice of the peace or a non-Catholic minister — everybody will be offering well wishes, and will regard them as “legally married”. Nobody cares whether it is two Catholics, a Catholic and a non-Catholic, or whether one or both spouses are free to marry in the Church. It’s not even unheard of for couples to “keep a low profile” regarding the objective validity of their marriage, and continue to go to communion, sometimes with the priest’s knowledge, sometimes not. Not sure what they do about confession. Some people just don’t go.

Quite aptly put. In today’s world, people generally don’t fear going to hell, and nobody in the world, other than orthodox Catholics totally faithful to the magisterium, will think twice about a Catholic marrying before a justice of the peace or a non-Catholic minister — everybody will be offering well wishes, and will regard them as “legally married”. Nobody cares whether it is two Catholics, a Catholic and a non-Catholic, or whether one or both spouses are free to marry in the Church. It’s not even unheard of for couples to “keep a low profile” regarding the objective validity of their marriage, and continue to go to communion, sometimes with the priest’s knowledge, sometimes not. Not sure what they do about confession. Some people just don’t go.
I think the way it works a lot of times is that the couple says, “Fine. If you people don’t want us, we’ll go to her church, then.”

I wouldn’t exactly call that a rubber stamp.
Have you ever heard, in the United States anyway, of anyone having their request for dispensation denied?

The only time I ever heard of it in my own life, was a Filipino friend of mine who sought the dispensation in the Philippines and was denied. (He was Catholic, she was Aglipayan or something.) They went ahead and got married outside the Church. As you point out, people generally end up doing what they want to anyway.
The memo from you to you had better read, “Only date Catholics you’d marry.” When you find a splendid person and they’ve become attached to you and want to make a life with you, you’re going to be choosing between rejecting them (in the hopes that you’ll ever want anyone else) or going ahead and marrying that splendid person. You cannot wait until it is time to pop the question to make a rejection for reasons you’d have to admit to the person you’re hurting that you saw coming a mile off. That is not a decent way to treat someone. Why date them when they are looking for a spouse and you’ve already rejected them? You’re wasting their time and using them, really.
I’d never let it get to that point in the first place. Get those things out of the way up front, before there develops such an attachment, that it would be hurtful and even traumatic to both parties, to have to break the relationship.

Better not discuss it beyond that. I have found (even on this forum) that some Catholics are scandalized by one who is in a marriage bond — as I am — even hypothetically entertaining the possibility of marrying someone else, and entertaining this thought while either their spouse is still living, or while they do not have a declaration of nullity yet.

(The latter was on my short list of things to pursue in 2020, but then came up COVID-19, grave illness in my own family not connected to CV and expanded caretaker duties, and the need to create a concentrated homeschool curriculum for my son. I’m too much of an ornery old cuss, set in my ways, to be thinking about marriage anyway — she’d probably end up putting cyanide in my iced tea, and not without some justification! 🥃 ⚰️)

Have you ever heard, in the United States anyway, of anyone having their request for dispensation denied?

The only time I ever heard of it in my own life, was a Filipino friend of mine who sought the dispensation in the Philippines and was denied. (He was Catholic, she was Aglipayan or something.) They went ahead and got married outside the Church. As you point out, people generally end up doing what they want to anyway.
The reason I don’t call it a rubber stamp is that there is a requirement to explain things to the couple, so that neither the Catholic nor the non-Catholic is mis-informed about the way the Church sees the matter.
I’d never let it get to that point in the first place. Get those things out of the way up front, before there develops such an attachment, that it would be hurtful and even traumatic to both parties, to have to break the relationship.

Better not discuss it beyond that. I have found (even on this forum) that some Catholics are scandalized by one who is in a marriage bond — as I am — even hypothetically entertaining the possibility of marrying someone else, and entertaining this thought while either their spouse is still living, or while they do not have a declaration of nullity yet.

(The latter was on my short list of things to pursue in 2020, but then came up COVID-19, grave illness in my own family not connected to CV and expanded caretaker duties, and the need to create a concentrated homeschool curriculum for my son. I’m too much of an ornery old cuss, set in my ways, to be thinking about marriage anyway — she’d probably end up putting cyanide in my iced tea, and not without some justification! 🥃 ⚰️)
Oh, yes, I meant a “you” who is free to marry, yes! I don’t ever suggest that persons not free to marry “date”…which is to say socialize with persons who might get the idea that marriage or some kind of romance is in the cards.

Blessings,
Now, there is short hair, & then, there is the buzz, GI haircut. Long hair on men can be varied. Some w long hair are macho. It’s cultural but, also, makes a loud statement, from those w Gender Dysphoria. I just started watching this priest on You Tube. Can’t recall his name now. He does a great talk on SSA. It matters not, homosexual or heterosexual, we are NOT TO HAVE SEX OUTSIDE IF MARRIAGE!
We suffer together. I’m old school. One man, long marriage of 52 yrs. Recently, widowed. If discipline of thoughts is used, it isn’t that important. He was in Viet Nam & Germany, a few years w/o me. It can be turned off. Living a full life a God & in the confines of your vocation, can be all encompassing. Men do have a more evident problem w desire. But, that still has to be channeled w thoughts of your wife. If not married, there are scripture verses & prayers to memorize.
We can have same sex friendships & not engage in genital contact. That priest has a similar phrase. TALE AS OLD AS TIME…
I read somewhere about a male Saint, who slept w woolen gloves on. Respectfully, men are special w struggles. I don’t read Romance books anymore. I’m not watching X rated movies. PG 13 & up. Reduce visual & auditory stimulation.

Galatians 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
FORBEARANCE & SELF-CONTROL.
When we live Christ, others should see this. I’ve lost my joy, Self-Control. Gentleness is a sometimes thing. I’m working on it. I help ppl. Like helping but I’m grumbling about it, at the time. I call myself an angry angel. SIGH! I’m
Working on it.
God bless

Don’t date, if you’re not going to marry. It would just be tempting. Have a good buddy, w whom to go fishing Go to movies, when allowed.
Marrying out side the faith, shouldn’t go thete. It is confusing. An atheist=no way. A Protestant=depends on denomination. Some hate Catholics & consider is a cult, going to hell. Then, if there are kids, there suppose to be raised Catholic. We can fall in love w a rich person & a Catholic. Just hold out till God provides. Sometimes, we are out there to help someone to grow spiritually. They come to Catholicism b/c of you. If they don’t switch, you should leave. Quite often, it’s a lust attraction. Pray about it. ,

And my husband certainly is also my partner, so, I don’t think it’s anything to be torqued up about.
While I agree with your remarks, in today’s society, use of the word “partner” also serves a purpose. It avoids the high potential of characterizing someone’s partner as spouse when that’s not so. It also avoids referencing a legally married man’s partner as “wife” when that might not be so!

And as far as contraception is concerned, you either practice it or you don’t — there is no way to compromise, one or the other capitulates
oh yes!
to propose that the nonbelieving partner would agree to either unbridled fertility or periodic abstinence How many people outside the Church would actually agree to this? the most likely scenario might be a non-Catholic woman contemplating marriage to a Catholic man who is fairly well-off and financially secure, and does not mind the possibility of having a large family, because she knows that the family will be well provided for.
I think it is unlikely.
A woman may want a big family. But it does not mean that this woman, particularly a secular woman would not use contraception before the first birth, between the births (even if ironically she doesn’t have her fertility come back as doctors would advise her) and when seh feels she no longer wants children. And of course in times of hardness for many reasons.

A more resonable scenario would be a atheist man who marry a Catholic woman and would let her to observe her fetility for purpose of respect for her.
Or a atheist woman who marry a Catholic man and who agree to NFP because of her ecological sensibility.
It can works as long as there is no difficulties. But in hard times, it is likely that they have moral conflict. And in the case of a man, he is hopeless if his wife refuse to oberve or let the babies come as they may…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back