R
rwillenborg
Guest
People say to ‘just have faith’, and suggest that somehow ‘faith’ is a seperate thing entirely from ‘acts’.
I have trouble reconciling that.
Just because something doesn’t involve your arms and legs and fingers and toes doesn’t mean you are not actively DOING something, right?
First, I want to make sure I am understanding the term ‘faith’ properly.
‘Faith’ in this sense is simply BELIEF. It requires no outward action on your part, only your sincerity in saying the words ‘Jesus is Lord’ even if those words are just recited in your head. So, if I’m understanding rightly, faith can be done entirely INWARDLY, but would that necessarily make it not a work?
After all, prayer can and often does happen ENTIRELY within a person’s mind, often words are not even uttered aloud, and I don’t know of any Christian who would suggest that prayer is not ACTIVELY communicating with the Lord. In other words, just because it’s all happening in my head doesn’t mean it’s not something which I am ACTIVELY DOING.
Do you see my confusion?
I compare faith to love in this sense.
I could be miles and miles away from my children, DOING absolutely nothing for their benefit, maybe I’m sipping a margarita on a beach somewhere and they’re at home with grandma and grandpa (hey, a girl can dream, can’t she?
), I am STILL loving them even if I am not actively engaged with them and DOING something them, even from afar, is still work!!
So, likewise, I wonder how faith itself is not a work. I hear it said that ‘You just need to believe to be saved.’ but believing IS WORK!! Can anyone on this board even say that their faith is not something that they ACTIVELY WORK to nurture? I don’t know how anyone who calls themselves Christian in this post-christian world can hold on to their faith without working on it, and working very hard at it I might add.
So I’m confused as to how ‘faith’ is a seperate thing from ‘works’, when faith is such an active thing, and takes such effort.
Thanks for reading. You guys always come up with great answers (no, really, I’m impressed) and I’m hoping the answers to this will be no exception.
I have trouble reconciling that.
Just because something doesn’t involve your arms and legs and fingers and toes doesn’t mean you are not actively DOING something, right?
First, I want to make sure I am understanding the term ‘faith’ properly.
‘Faith’ in this sense is simply BELIEF. It requires no outward action on your part, only your sincerity in saying the words ‘Jesus is Lord’ even if those words are just recited in your head. So, if I’m understanding rightly, faith can be done entirely INWARDLY, but would that necessarily make it not a work?
After all, prayer can and often does happen ENTIRELY within a person’s mind, often words are not even uttered aloud, and I don’t know of any Christian who would suggest that prayer is not ACTIVELY communicating with the Lord. In other words, just because it’s all happening in my head doesn’t mean it’s not something which I am ACTIVELY DOING.
Do you see my confusion?
I compare faith to love in this sense.
I could be miles and miles away from my children, DOING absolutely nothing for their benefit, maybe I’m sipping a margarita on a beach somewhere and they’re at home with grandma and grandpa (hey, a girl can dream, can’t she?
So, likewise, I wonder how faith itself is not a work. I hear it said that ‘You just need to believe to be saved.’ but believing IS WORK!! Can anyone on this board even say that their faith is not something that they ACTIVELY WORK to nurture? I don’t know how anyone who calls themselves Christian in this post-christian world can hold on to their faith without working on it, and working very hard at it I might add.
So I’m confused as to how ‘faith’ is a seperate thing from ‘works’, when faith is such an active thing, and takes such effort.
Thanks for reading. You guys always come up with great answers (no, really, I’m impressed) and I’m hoping the answers to this will be no exception.