How is it possible that Jesus gave his body to the Disciples at the last supper?

• Thread starter Thread starter Kramgen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kramgen

He hadn’t died for them yet, how did he offer the fruits of that sacrifice? Is it because he is outside of time as God?

Yes, outside of time in the same manner as He appeared to Peter, James and John in His Glorified Body during the transfiguration. Rather than as a vision, in the Holy Eucharist, He gave Himself Sacramentally.

When Jesus Christ gave the bread, His Body and the wine, His Blood to the 12 Disciples… it was a part of the new covenant Jesus Christ made with man while He walked on earth. When Jesus Christ died, His body and blood became seal of that unbroken covenant. His sacrifice became our salvation.

When we take the Eucharist we are not only reminded of the unbroken seal of that covenant from God, but we are also thanking God for His sacrifice by willingly taking in His body and His blood.

The bread stayed bread at the last supper. Jesus meant it figuratively not literally.
The whole context of the Last Supper is symbolic.
I’m asking from a Catholic point of view. Jesus is truly present in the Eucharist. He even said during the last supper “This is my body” how much more explicit do you need it. I’m just wondering why he instituted it before he died and rose.

Absolutely! HE is GOD. Remember HE at Cana turned water into the best wine ever.
If GOD says this bread is my body you either believe HIM or reject HIM.
It is as simple as that. To GOD nothing is impossible.
The real miracle is that HE does not force us to eat HIS flesh looking like the real flesh it is. No HE is gentle and keeps the apperance of bread and wine. But there have been from time to time instances were the consecrated Hosts turned into the real flesh. Almost Universally when the priest had doubts on what he was actually doing. They are called “Eucharistic Miracles” goggle that. There are plenty of those all over the planet.
Peace!

In the old testament Passover, an integral part of the Passover experience, was that you had to eat the Passover lamb. Everyone had to. The last supper was a Passover meal, but not just an old testament Passover meal, it was Jesus transforming the Old Testament passover into the new Passover. But the faithful still have to eat the Passover lamb.

There is a timelessness to our faith that is hard to wrap our minds around. But in a sense, this is good. We have a God that’s far bigger our understanding. I’d hate to have a God who is so small that I could I figure him out completely with my own limited mind.

(Mat 19:26) And Jesus looking upon them said to them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Not in Catholic theology. You are on a Catholic forum. Catholics believe in transubstantiation.

The bread stayed bread at the last supper. Jesus meant it figuratively not literally.
If it was figurative then it would have been an incomplete Passover. Eating the lamb was an inseparable part of the Passover. This would have been extremely obvious to the disciples, all of whom were, of course, Jewish.

Last edited:
Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.

Those who heard Him did not take it figuratively. They walked away from Him because they took Him at His word. At the last Supper He did not say that this is a representation but IT IS my Body.

The whole context of the Last Supper is symbolic. We do not partake of Jesus by physically eating His body. “The flesh counts for nothing” [John 6:63]. Rather, we partake of Jesus by coming to Him in faith, trusting that His broken body (and shed blood) is sufficient to pay for our sins. The elements of bread and wine commemorate His broken body and shed blood, and when we eat them, we affirm our faith and fellowship in Christ.
You quote John 6 but ignore that other things He said in John 6. If flesh counts for nothing than Jesus’ sacrifice is nothing. Point being is your misapplying those words. See my other post to theorangeand blue

There is a place of discussing, even arguing, against the Catholic faith, in the Non-Catholic forum. The thing is, this topic is not even moral theology.

Whenever a question starts “How is it possible that Jesus…” the answer will usually be, “Because He is God and He can do that.”

Once you begin to assent to the truth that Jesus is truly present in the Eucharist, not only John 6 where Jesus repeats Himself over and over, but also many other New Testament passages such as the Road to Emmaeus and the several incidences of the multiplication of the loaves miracles come alive. Everything points toward the teaching of Catholicism, handed down to us by the Apostles and taught consistently in the Church for 2000 years. By contrast, Protestants have been teaching the “its only symbolic” line for 500 years, since they decided to break away from the Catholic Church.
Open your eyes to see the richness and the beauty of the Catholic teaching. Why would we not want to love a God who gives Himself so intimately to us every single day? Where else is this joy to be found?

Last edited:
The whole context of the Last Supper is symbolic.
If you have joined CAF to preach heresy, please do not do so as a wolf in sheeps clothing by listing your religion as “Roman Catholic.”

From the Gospel of St. John…

[51] I am the living bread which came down from heaven. [52] If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever; and the bread that I will give, is my flesh, for the life of the world. [53] The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying: How can this man give us his flesh to eat? [54] Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. [55] He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day.

[56] For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed. [57] He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, abideth in me, and I in him. [58] As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father; so he that eateth me, the same also shall live by me. [59] This is the bread that came down from heaven. Not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead. He that eateth this bread, shall live for ever. [60] These things he said, teaching in the synagogue, in Capharnaum.
-DR C

And that is far from the only place! They recognised him in the breaking of the Bread, Paul says that receiving unworthily can make you sick and kill you!

The whole context of the Last Supper is symbolic. We do not partake of Jesus by physically eating His body. “The flesh counts for nothing” [John 6:63].
Here, both of you are adding to scripture. Bible does nowhere say that. If the flesh counts for nothing, then Christ’s sacrifice is null and void.

Sure you want to allege that?

This occurred after the point at which Jesus spoke plainly to the Apostles (Have you read John 16? Ever?). Have you read 1 Corinthians 11? Ever? Have you studied Church history? Ever?

Have you likewise condemned the various Eastern Orthodox Churches for having the same belief over 2,000 years? Ever?

I sniff some ego and hypocrisy - but not in you two, rather in those who taught you this gross error.

Please do some due diligence before posting recently man-made theology!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back