How is the singing in your Parish?

• Thread starter Thread starter JohnCarroll
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Parish, and my Diocease in general, is very blessed that we are a community that loves to sing.

In my Parish, we have six choirs on rotation, and each one has a personality all to itself. Our choirs range from a childrens choir to the “young at heart” group comprised of mostly elderly parishoners. We’ve been using “The Today’s Missal Music Issue” from Oregan Press for many years now, and many of the same songs are used by the choirs, due to a Mass planner provided by the company, so familiarity with the music has made it easier for the assembly to follow along. Of course, if a new song is introduced, for the choir I sing in, we try to use it during the Presentation Of the Gifts when participation of the assembly isn’t crutial.

I’ve been working towards my certification in Liturgy and Music, and these are some of the things I’ve learned through some of the courses I’ve taken.

It is important that the asssembly, in order to encourage full participation at Mass, to be familar with the music being sung. Most importantly the Responsorial and the Service music: The Gloria (if used), Alleiluia, Holy Holy, Memorial Acclimation, Great Amen, Lamb of God. If at all possible, when introducing a new song or Service music setting, the choir or music leader should go over the music with the assembly at least once before Mass to iensure participation.

The music leader, or Cantor, should encourage the participation of the assembly, not be the assembly. In other words, as it has been pointed out in several posts, the Cantor should not be so loud that it drowns out everyone else. The Cantor and the music in general should be loud enough so that the asssembly can hear themselves singing.

Post the number of the songs being sung for Mass. This also encourages participation. I understand that some Parishes cannot afford a great number of Hymnals or Music Issues for the entire assembly. However, if they are available, make use of them. If there isn’t a way of posting the numbers, make a brief announcement before the start of the song to be sung. This also encourages people to pick up the music books and sing along. In my Parish, the entrance, Communion and the sending forth are usually announced. It’s an option for the Presentation Of The Gifts.

Granted, the Responsorial Psalm is in the Missal, sometimes I think people don’t know that it actually exsists. I know this may be akward, however it might encourage further participation as the Responsorial is the assembly’s chance to respond to the word of God, is to announce the page number where the Responsorial is located. Sounds rather ridiculous as you would think people would be following along with the readings, but unless you have seasonal Responses as my parish does, the Responsorials change each week and people might want to know where to find what you’re singing.

I know this sounds like a lot. But it’s all to encourage participation of the assembly. Afterall, it is an intrical part of Mass and it should be encouraged, especially with the Service music. When you sing “Alleiluia” you are praising God and giving Him glory and thanking Him for the Word. And when you sing the Great Amen, it should be a resounding “Yes” as that’s what you are saying after the Priest says “Through Him, With Him, and in Him. In the Unity of the Holy Spirit. All glory and honor is yours, Almighty Father. Forever and ever.”

Training the asssembly to participate in singing takes time. Ours didn’t happen overnight, so be patient with your Parishoners.

I just thought of something really silly. In “Finding Nemo” Dorie keeps on saying, “Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming.” Well, just keep saying to yourself when you’re at Mass and you think you’re the only one singing, just say to yourself, “Just keep singing. Just keep singing. Just keep singing.”

Peace everyone. And happy singing praising the name of God andhis son Jesus Christ.

40.png
chrystl:
My Parish, and my Diocease in general, is very blessed that we are a community that loves to sing.

In my Parish, we have six choirs on rotation, and each one has a personality all to itself. Our choirs range from a childrens choir to the “young at heart” group comprised of mostly elderly parishoners. We’ve been using “The Today’s Missal Music Issue” from Oregan Press for many years now, and many of the same songs are used by the choirs, due to a Mass planner provided by the company, so familiarity with the music has made it easier for the assembly to follow along. Of course, if a new song is introduced, for the choir I sing in, we try to use it during the Presentation Of the Gifts when participation of the assembly isn’t crutial.

I’ve been working towards my certification in Liturgy and Music, and these are some of the things I’ve learned through some of the courses I’ve taken.

It is important that the asssembly, in order to encourage full participation at Mass, to be familar with the music being sung. Most importantly the Responsorial and the Service music: The Gloria (if used), Alleiluia, Holy Holy, Memorial Acclimation, Great Amen, Lamb of God. If at all possible, when introducing a new song or Service music setting, the choir or music leader should go over the music with the assembly at least once before Mass to iensure participation.

The music leader, or Cantor, should encourage the participation of the assembly, not be the assembly. In other words, as it has been pointed out in several posts, the Cantor should not be so loud that it drowns out everyone else. The Cantor and the music in general should be loud enough so that the asssembly can hear themselves singing.

Post the number of the songs being sung for Mass. This also encourages participation. I understand that some Parishes cannot afford a great number of Hymnals or Music Issues for the entire assembly. However, if they are available, make use of them. If there isn’t a way of posting the numbers, make a brief announcement before the start of the song to be sung. This also encourages people to pick up the music books and sing along. In my Parish, the entrance, Communion and the sending forth are usually announced. It’s an option for the Presentation Of The Gifts.

Granted, the Responsorial Psalm is in the Missal, sometimes I think people don’t know that it actually exsists. I know this may be akward, however it might encourage further participation as the Responsorial is the assembly’s chance to respond to the word of God, is to announce the page number where the Responsorial is located. Sounds rather ridiculous as you would think people would be following along with the readings, but unless you have seasonal Responses as my parish does, the Responsorials change each week and people might want to know where to find what you’re singing.

I know this sounds like a lot. But it’s all to encourage participation of the assembly. Afterall, it is an intrical part of Mass and it should be encouraged, especially with the Service music. When you sing “Alleiluia” you are praising God and giving Him glory and thanking Him for the Word. And when you sing the Great Amen, it should be a resounding “Yes” as that’s what you are saying after the Priest says “Through Him, With Him, and in Him. In the Unity of the Holy Spirit. All glory and honor is yours, Almighty Father. Forever and ever.”

Training the asssembly to participate in singing takes time. Ours didn’t happen overnight, so be patient with your Parishoners.

I just thought of something really silly. In “Finding Nemo” Dorie keeps on saying, “Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming.” Well, just keep saying to yourself when you’re at Mass and you think you’re the only one singing, just say to yourself, “Just keep singing. Just keep singing. Just keep singing.”

Peace everyone. And happy singing praising the name of God andhis son Jesus Christ.
Thank you for these good ideas. What part of Oregon are you in. My daughter is in Salem and may investigate the Catholic Church. Know a good Parish there?

Hi John:

Actually, I live somewhere in the middle of the Pacific. We just get our Missals and Music Issues from Oregan Press. Although, of what I’ve seen of Oregan, it’s a reallly nice place.

The singing at our parish is outstanding. There are choirs at every Sunday Mass. Each choir is different, but every one of them have a wonderful director. The large choir sings at all major holiday Masses - even at the ones on Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, and any other special occasion. The large choir also sings at the most attended Mass on Sundays, which is the 9:30 Mass. After Mass people cannot refrain themselves from clapping to acknowledge their appreciation of the excellent singing. Another thing that is so great is that even at daily Mass there’s singing before, during, and after Mass. Approx. 5000 families belong to this parish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back