How long does it take you to pray the Rosary?

• Thread starter Thread starter Augustine
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Augustine

It takes me between 40 and 45 minutes. But they take about 15 minutes in some places. How come? Not that I medidate a lot on the misteries, on the contrary, there’s room for improvement. Or maybe I get distracted too much…

I said 30 - 45. Although sometimes I can get “stuck” meditating at a single mystery and I will not finish the 5 of them 'cuz I have to move on with the day - or, I fall asleep. :o

When I pray the Rosary, it takes over 45 minutes. I like to pray slowly, allowing my mind to enter into each Mystery.

When in a group, it usually takes all of 15 minutes 😦 They like to “spin” the beads so to speak. Racing through the prayers and such. 😦

Now if the question was, praying the Rosary in a group or Alone, I would answer Alone everytime. Just for some of the reasons stated above.

40.png
mkw:
When I pray the Rosary, it takes over 45 minutes. I like to pray slowly, allowing my mind to enter into each Mystery.

When in a group, it usually takes all of 15 minutes 😦 They like to “spin” the beads so to speak. Racing through the prayers and such. 😦

Now if the question was, praying the Rosary in a group or Alone, I would answer Alone everytime. Just for some of the reasons stated above.
Dear MKW

I would agree with you here. I prefer to pray alone especially the Rosary when I do pray the Rosary, which is not as often as I would like. I think this is because the Rosary is a personal devotion and just by the very nature of that, everyone has their own rhytmn and speed at which they pray as well as additional prayers they may incorporate into the Rosary.

It takes me about 45 minutes-ish, but I honestly have never timed myself, it’s just a rough guess.

St Padre Pio used to pray the Rosary for 5 hours a day, that is all of the mysteries, so it took him an hour per Rosary. You see we all pray at our own speed and have our own thoughts and meditations whilst praying.

God Bless you

I say the rosary during my morning walk, joyous mysteries from home to entrance of neighboring trailer park, luminous through the trailer park and around the clubhouse, Sorrowful around the RV section of our park, Glorious mysteries back to the street, up to the main road, concluding prayers back home. Takes about 45 minutes. I breath the prayers to make sure I am breathing properly (otherwise I get muscle cramps) and to help me concentrate.

40.png
puzzleannie:
I say the rosary during my morning walk, joyous mysteries from home to entrance of neighboring trailer park, luminous through the trailer park and around the clubhouse, Sorrowful around the RV section of our park, Glorious mysteries back to the street, up to the main road, concluding prayers back home. Takes about 45 minutes. I breath the prayers to make sure I am breathing properly (otherwise I get muscle cramps) and to help me concentrate.
🙂 Pope John Paul II prays whilst taking a walk also.

God Bless you

It takes me twenty to twentyfive minutes to pray the Rosary.

Between 15 and 30min. … It usually takes me at least 20 minutes to pray 5 mysteries of the Rosary praying by myself…30 minutes when I pray w/ EWTN or local TV Rosary…

Man, if only I could concentrate for more than 15-30…:hmmm:… must be nice. It varies in that time frame for me, it all depends on who/what needs prayer at the time. So, I guess it’s a good thing when my Rosaries are shorter, fewer messed-up things happening in my life or in my friends’ lives. But hey, it’s the best way to close my day, no matter what’s going on.

Eamon

It all depends how tired I am, and if I am being ambitious and using the Latin rather than the English! Usually, however, if I am saying it well, it takes about 20 min.

God Bless–JMJ
Laura 🙂

For me, usually about 15-30 minutes. Often I am praying along with a group in my parish before daily mass or along with the rosary on the radio. The group prayer sometimes does go under 15 minutes, especially when this one gentleman leads a decade. He often will start the next “Hail Mary” before many of us are even done saying the "pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death…:amen: "😦

The few times I say the rosary “on my own” (with no group or recording to say it along with), I usually don’t time it.:hmmm:

40.png
alyssa:
same for me ~45 min for one Mystery (sorrowful, joyous, etc).
Sorrowful counts as five mysteries.

How long it takes to pray the Rosary depends on what you mean by praying the Rosary. To pray all 20 mysteries (pray the whole Rosary), I think it takes me a little over an hour. Perhaps 75 minutes. And so far I leave out the Fatima prayers. I skip over anything I don’t know, so I am presently doing the mysteries, “Our Father”, “Hail Marys” and “Glory Be”.

To pray a Rosary Chaplet (five mysteries), it is usually about 20 minutes. Sometimes it can be about 15 minutes.
40.png
ridesawhitehors:
I said 30 - 45. Although sometimes I can get “stuck” meditating at a single mystery and I will not finish the 5 of them 'cuz I have to move on with the day - or, I fall asleep.
It can be good to “get stuck” just thinking about a single mystery. And perhaps not even finish. And I admit to falling asleep sometimes.

If you are very tired during the “Garden of Gethsemane” it can be a struggle to stay awake. If you do stay awake, that is very good. If you do fall asleep, then it is good meditation on what happened since the disciples also fell asleep. I figure either way, it is OK. Because the Rosary is such an excellent thing for our minds to dwell on or rest upon.

40.png
springbreeze:
St Padre Pio used to pray the Rosary for 5 hours a day, that is all of the mysteries, so it took him an hour per Rosary. You see we all pray at our own speed and have our own thoughts and meditations whilst praying.

God Bless you
I recently heard a story where somebody told Padre Pio they prayed five Rosaries that day (5 x 15 = 75 decades). Padre Pio said something like “That’s great. I prayed 35 rosaries today.” (35 x 15 = 525 decades). Apparently Padre Pio could multitask pretty good.

Nevertheless, I also recently read where some saint said that one “Hail Mary” prayed fervently and with great concentration on each word can be worth more than 150 “Hail Marys” prayed more routinely.

St. Augustine reportedly said that an “Our Father” prayed fervently and sincerely would forgive venial sins. I think so too.

And I read recently (or heard it in a class) that how we live our lives can make a difference in the quality of our prayers. So if you want your prayers to be better prayers:
  • be more loving with your spouse
  • watch that you treat others with kindness
  • forgive others more quickly
  • watch what you keep inside of yourself
  • be careful of the thoughts that you dwell on
So pray for me, brothers, that I not be a bad hypocrite.
I need to improve my prayer life also.

Takes me about 35-40 minutes, because I pray the Scriptural Rosary. It takes a little longer because I meditate on different scripture verse for a moment before I say each Hail Mary. It’s a great way to let each mystery ‘come alive’ in my thoughts.

40.png
puzzleannie:
Wow, I’m impressed! That’s a power walk! 🙂 I can’t do the Rosary while I’m doing something else. I tried it while driving a couple of times, but it’s worse than talking on the phone by far!

It takes me about 20-25 minutes. 🙂

40.png
WhiteDove:
Wow, I’m impressed! That’s a power walk! 🙂 I can’t do the Rosary while I’m doing something else. I tried it while driving a couple of times, but it’s worse than talking on the phone by far!

It takes me about 20-25 minutes. 🙂
White Dove, if you know how to get a moderator, please have them go to the Water Cooler and check it our asap. Thanks

40.png
jmm08:
I recently heard a story where somebody told Padre Pio they prayed five Rosaries that day (5 x 15 = 75 decades). Padre Pio said something like “That’s great. I prayed 35 rosaries today.” (35 x 15 = 525 decades). Apparently Padre Pio could multitask pretty good.

Nevertheless, I also recently read where some saint said that one “Hail Mary” prayed fervently and with great concentration on each word can be worth more than 150 “Hail Marys” prayed more routinely.

St. Augustine reportedly said that an “Our Father” prayed fervently and sincerely would forgive venial sins. I think so too.

And I read recently (or heard it in a class) that how we live our lives can make a difference in the quality of our prayers. So if you want your prayers to be better prayers:
  • be more loving with your spouse
  • watch that you treat others with kindness
  • forgive others more quickly
  • watch what you keep inside of yourself
  • be careful of the thoughts that you dwell on
So pray for me, brothers, that I not be a bad hypocrite.
I need to improve my prayer life also.
Dear friend

Great point! I suppose there is no point praying our hearts out and then live our lives submerged in sin.

I will pray for you and you say a little prayer for me too.

Thank you for your beautiful insight

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

I learnt to slow down my reciting of the Rosary after reading St. Louis De Montfort’s book titled The Secret of the Rosary. Takes me now about 25-35 minutes per mystery.

In Part II (How to recite the Rosary) of St. Louis De Montfort’s book he states that “It is not so much the length of a prayer, but the fervor with which it is said which pleases Almighty God and touches his heart. One single Hail Mary that is said properly is worth more than one hundred and fifty that are badly said.”

He goes on to ask, “So why is it then that so few of them give up their sins and go forward in the spiritual life?”

Again further on in the book De Monfort says, “it is really pathetic to see how most people say the Holy Rosary - they say it astonishingly fast …” and then further on “Small wonder then that the most sacred prayers of our holy religion seem to bear no fruit …” and then asking us to temper the speed by briefly pausing several times as we recite the Our Father and Hail Mary.

40.png
Stephen_H:
I learnt to slow down my reciting of the Rosary after reading St. Louis De Montfort’s book titled The Secret of the Rosary. Takes me now about 25-35 minutes per mystery.

In Part II (How to recite the Rosary) of St. Louis De Montfort’s book he states that “It is not so much the length of a prayer, but the fervor with which it is said which pleases Almighty God and touches his heart. One single Hail Mary that is said properly is worth more than one hundred and fifty that are badly said.”

He goes on to ask, “So why is it then that so few of them give up their sins and go forward in the spiritual life?”

Again further on in the book De Monfort says, “it is really pathetic to see how most people say the Holy Rosary - they say it astonishingly fast …” and then further on “Small wonder then that the most sacred prayers of our holy religion seem to bear no fruit …” and then asking us to temper the speed by briefly pausing several times as we recite the Our Father and Hail Mary.
Dear friend

Welcome to the Catholic Answers forums, God Bless your posts here and your work. I look forward to reading your furture posts. I liked your comments here.

It may be possible that the people who say the Rosary extremely quickly are quick minded enough to meditate on Sacred Scripture and the mysteries and offer a good prayer in the Rosary, then again, it is highly likely that it is not possible. I tend to view my whole life as an ‘Hail Mary’ or an ‘Our Father’, offering everything as prayer and taking the time to ponder God in all things of life, I do not rush all of my life, therefore I don’t rush my Rosary.

Thank you for your beautiful insight and the quotes which I enjoyed reading very much

God bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back