How many statues are in your (Catholic) church?

• Thread starter Thread starter Timidity
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, they removed our beautiful statues of the Sacred Heart and the Blessed Mother. Our church was recently renovated and they now have two huge screens where the statues once were. Sad really, since our Church is named after the Sacred Heart and it is on the historic registry.
joey(name removed by moderator) :crying:

No statues. Just a giant crucifix-shaped icon of Christ crucified that hangs over the altar.

Had to go with “none.”

Of course, it’s a Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Church - statues simply play no part at all in Eastern Catholic theology or liturgical life.

Now, if you wanna talk icons instead… 😉

There are three in our church:

Sacred Heart of Jesus
Immaculate Heart of Mary
Infant Jesus of Prague

Our church is too small to hold any more.

I belong to a military church, so we share space with the other Christians who apparently aren’t into any statue thing. Our statues have to be able to “rotate” around. :confused: The statue side is showing for Catholic Mass, then rotated to a “box” thing during the other services. We even have to open up the Stations of the Cross boxes for our services! We do have our own small “wing” to store the tabernacle.

🙂 We have one of Our Lady… a beautiful one but it isn’t very visible.
We have one of St. Joseph…also not visible. Our church is chaped like a cross. The top of the cross is the chapel and the statues are on the back wall of the chapel.

However, we have four huge paintings and lovely stained glass windows. The ceiling is high and up there is the dove-symbol of the Holy Spirit.

And, recently we have glass between the chapel and the main church and etched on it are 13 saints including St. John and Mary our Mother at the foot of the cross and others representing the patron saints of other churches in our diocese.

There are two almost life-size crucifixes back to back, one high in back of the main altar and the back-to-back one in the chapel.

When I think of all of it, we have many lovely images to help us in prayer and meditation. Thank you for this question. It has helped me to appriciate what we have.
PS: Our tabernacle is in the middle and the priests chairs are on the sides. Praise God…we are blessed. 👍
:blessyou:

Oh, I forgot…
Outdoors, we have the Pieta in front of the church on the main road and one of St. Andrew our patron saint and one of Our Lady of Grace under a tree with flowers and bushes around her and a bench. Many of our parishoners stop there to say the Rosary.
(See my other post (above) for the rest of the story.)
:blessyou:
:amen:

I put none, because we have none actually IN our church. However, we do have a St. Francis and Our Lady of Guadalupe in our prayer garden.

in the narthex of the parish we have a statue of St Peter Nolasco and Our Lady of Mercy. In the sanctuary of the Church are statues of St Anthony, the Sacred Heart, Our Lady and St Joseph. On the high altar are marble statues of two Angels, but I don’t really include them.

40.png
frdave20:
On the high altar are marble statues of two Angels, but I don’t really include them.
How many wings do they have?

more than five, i guess…the number changes, as when there is a feast day, etc…

:o I voted 5-6 but I’d forgotten about five more… Well, three if the ones outside don’t count.

We have:
A really tall one of Our Lord and His Sacred Heart (although it is all white, so it’s difficult to distinguish) outside by the playground and the parking lot.
One of the Blessed Mother in a grotto just outside the church, to one side of the entrance.
A medium-sized (actually, it’s more between medium and large), full-colour Crucified Lord complete with a kneeler in the vestibule.
A medium-sized, black-ish, grey-ish St. Peter at one of the aisle entrances.
A medium-sized, colour St. Augustine up on the ledge of the choir loft (does that description make sense?).
A medium-sized, colour statue of Our Lord in the same place as the St. Augustine but on the opposite side.
A large statue of Our Lady with a removable crown, to the side of the sanctuary, with candle trays and a blue background.
A large statue of the Archangel Michael victorious (titular saint of my parish), to the other side of the sanctuary, again with candle trays and a kneeler.
A medium-sized, golden-hued colour angel on each side of the tabernacle.
And of course, a really large, black-ish, grey-ish crucifix a reasonable height above the tabernacle.

So that’s 10. 😃

Actually, there’s an 11th, but this seems like stretching it a bit… There’s one more of Our Lady on the roof above the main entrance to the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back