How much immorality is too much?

  • Thread starter Thread starter smswife
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not allow anyone to convince you that porn is just a job or a choice, like working in a car wash or a fast food restaurant. If sexuality, the gift, is turned into meaningless ‘just sex’ then it means nothing, or worse, it becomes a means to degrade others along with our ourselves.
True. I was struck by our Pope’s recent turn of phrase - the “banalization” of human sexuality. Sex is a wonderful gift, but when it’s made cheap, it becomes nothing more than a bad kind of sport or hobby.
Keep your conscience pure, focused on God and focused on the way of living Jesus taught us. By doing this, we will find normalcy and authentic human living.
That’s worth repeating. 🙂
 
Yes, I’m away of that philosophy. It was the guiding light of kamikaze pilots and the young guys in the Middle East who keep blowing themselves up in market squares and checkpoints.
No, you’ve got that wrong. Their philosophy is this: Other lives are mine to do what I want with them.
 
Let’s just stop all this silly posturing and cast off the last restraints. More immorality!

Conform yourself to the world, not to Christ. Of course there’s free will to perform in porn—in fact let’s have some porn aimed at underage kids. :rolleyes:

Wait a minute, I was just in a movie theater. They’re already doing that.

But just move along, nothing to see, no standards to uphold. Do as you will. Didn’t Aleistair Crowley say that? It’s more fun to follow him than Jesus. And it’s all about fun, isn’t it.
I really don’t think we should follow your advice. At all.
 
Yes, I’m away of that philosophy. It was the guiding light of kamikaze pilots and the young guys in the Middle East who keep blowing themselves up in market squares and checkpoints.
This is what the CCC states:

953 Communion in charity. In the sanctorum communio, "None of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself."487 "If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together. Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it."488 "Charity does not insist on its own way."489 In this solidarity with all men, living or dead, which is founded on the communion of saints, the least of our acts done in charity redounds to the profit of all. Every sin harms this communion.

vatican.va/archive/catechism/p123a9p5.htm

So every good that is committed is shared by all in the communion of saints. Also, every sin that is committed harms all in the communion of saints.

I had never looked at it this way before. I assumed that sins were personal and didn’t usually hurt anyone else except perhaps the person I was sinning against. But here the Church is saying that what we do, whether good or bad, has an influence on all members of the communion of saints.

Cool.
 
Knowing her as I do, I am reasonably certain she was just being sarcastic. 😉
Her? :eek:

Actually I knew she (he?) was being sarcastic. So was I. 😉

I probably shouldn’t have posted it but I thought that people would look at her (his?) post again. Probably a dumb plan.

Sorry, Sailor.
 
I don’t know the average age of people on this forum, butback when this country was a decent and moral nation, you’d have been thrown in jail, and rightfully so, if you dared to air nine-tenths of what passes for entertainment these days.
YES!! Please, I would like to know when this country (the U.S.? Canada? Spain? - this is a worldwide forum) was a “decent and moral nation.” Dates, please.

There has never been a “decent and moral nation” in the entire history of the world. Never.

Why do I feel a sense of deja vu?
 
When, exactly, was that?
In the 1950s and 1960s.

Self-restraint was the norm.
Decency and modesty was the norm.
The Federal Government told us we were in a struggle with Godless Communism.
The Federal Government reminded us of our Judeo-Christian heritage.
People said hello.
You called your elders Mister and Missus.
You respected your parents.
Sex before marriage was taught as a bad thing.
You said please and thank you.

For the record, I’m not saying it was Perfect. We were aware of the crime and so on, plus an ICBM from Russia could fall on our heads at any moment, but we went to Church on Sunday and it really didn’t occupy much of our thinking.

Peace,
Ed
 
In the 1950s and 1960s.

Self-restraint was the norm.
Decency and modesty was the norm.
The Federal Government told us we were in a struggle with Godless Communism.
The Federal Government reminded us of our Judeo-Christian heritage.
People said hello.
You called your elders Mister and Missus.
You respected your parents.
Sex before marriage was taught as a bad thing.
You said please and thank you.

For the record, I’m not saying it was Perfect. We were aware of the crime and so on, plus an ICBM from Russia could fall on our heads at any moment, but we went to Church on Sunday and it really didn’t occupy much of our thinking.

Peace,
Ed
Fifties and sixties, ah yes, the good ol’ days. Unless you were a black voter or black school kid in the South, or living behind the iron curtain, or part of the HUAC witchhunt, or exposed to smallpox in some third world backwater, … or… you know, I could fill up pages with a parade of horribles that would match your abbreviated list of examples proving that memory is playing you false. But what’s the point? Its like a massive folie à deux.
 
Uh huh, and we still have poverty in this “modern” country. I think it really galls Leftist/Comunist/Marxist types who watched their beloved Soviet Union die. What to do with our Castro and Che posters? Will people lose interest in the latest issue of Socialist Worker?

Please. I watched as people, infected by the above, gradually became ruder and cruder from the 1970s on. It was the same radical anarchist nutcases who decided the country was waaaaaay too functional for them. “Let it all hang out, man.”

People had a lot more respect for each other. Growing up in Detroit in that time period, I had no fear or anomosity toward black people. I admired the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. I admired President Johnson for starting the War on Poverty.

But no, this was the time when people said hello to each other and actually helped each other with no money changing hands. It was pretty common for my dad to be out front, working on the family car, and at least one or two neighbors would come by to chat. In one case, he was without a necessary tool, a neighbor had it and let him use it. In another case, he was having a hard time figuring out how a part was supposed to go in. A neighbor guided him through it. No charge. Glad to help. That mattered. That was being a neighbor.

And that is what I’m talking about. That and the neighbor lady who had a bad toothache could drop her daughter off at my parent’s house while she went to the dentist and it was no big deal. Glad to help.

Peace,
Ed
 
Uh huh, and we still have poverty in this “modern” country. I think it really galls Leftist/Comunist/Marxist types who watched their beloved Soviet Union die. What to do with our Castro and Che posters? Will people lose interest in the latest issue of Socialist Worker?

Please. I watched as people, infected by the above, gradually became ruder and cruder from the 1970s on. It was the same radical anarchist nutcases who decided the country was waaaaaay too functional for them. “Let it all hang out, man.”

People had a lot more respect for each other. Growing up in Detroit in that time period, I had no fear or anomosity toward black people. I admired the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. I admired President Johnson for starting the War on Poverty.

But no, this was the time when people said hello to each other and actually helped each other with no money changing hands. It was pretty common for my dad to be out front, working on the family car, and at least one or two neighbors would come by to chat. In one case, he was without a necessary tool, a neighbor had it and let him use it. In another case, he was having a hard time figuring out how a part was supposed to go in. A neighbor guided him through it. No charge. Glad to help. That mattered. That was being a neighbor.

And that is what I’m talking about. That and the neighbor lady who had a bad toothache could drop her daughter off at my parent’s house while she went to the dentist and it was no big deal. Glad to help.

Peace,
Ed
The post was referring to a nation, not to your own extremely limited experience. Anyone who couldn’t see that U.S. citizens were very disrespectful during the 50s and 60s is blind or does not want to see the truth. But as you have brought up your personal experience, allow me to do the same:

Respect? Do you actually believe that? Then please explain to me why I was the only person to sit down next to a well-dressed black gentleman who was sitting all alone on a bus while people were standing? Was it respectful for those people to treat that man as though he was disgusting? Just because he had more melanin in his skin?

Was it respect that caused the bus driver to drive past this gentleman’s stop and then laugh and laugh when the man had to get off the bus and run back to where he was trying to go?

Was it respect that several of the people on the bus laughed with the bus driver?

Was it respect when numerous white persons yelled out “2,4,6,8, we’re not gonna integrate!!” over and over as a small black child walked alone to a school where no other students would even show up?

Was it respect that led to the brutal murder of three civil rights workers? Was it respect that caused the KKK to lynch blacks?

Was it respect that blacks were FORCED to sit in the back of the bus? Was it respect that blacks couldn’t eat at lunch counters frequented by white people?

Did that man I mentioned in another post show respect to my sister when he asked her if she wanted to be ****** and caused her to run away in fear and cry all the way home?

I could write page after page, but honest to God, I am so, so, so tired of this pipe dream you insist on holding onto like some sort of idol. It wasn’t that way, Ed. There was no more respect then than there is now.

Not one bit more. You’ve closed your eyes and put your hands against your ears and you’re yelling “I can’t hear you!!” and that doesn’t change anything.

There has been a lack of respect through the entire history of the world. People killed people for no good reason. It even happened to Jesus. Was that respect? Oh, wait, I guess that doesn’t fall in your time frame. Well, OK, we’ll let that one slide. :rolleyes:

And I forgot: You were there and you saw it so that is the way it must have been. Forget the murders, the lynchings, the segregation, the calling of black people n******. It couldn’t have happened because you were there and you would have known.

Yeah, real respectful. :rolleyes:
 
She’s right, I wouldn’t have respected anyone any less then than I do now.
 
Fifties and sixties, ah yes, the good ol’ days. Unless you were a black voter or black school kid in the South, or living behind the iron curtain, or part of the HUAC witchhunt, or exposed to smallpox in some third world backwater, … or… you know, I could fill up pages with a parade of horribles that would match your abbreviated list of examples proving that memory is playing you false. But what’s the point? Its like a massive folie à deux.
I agree. And it is truly a shame that certain people refuse to see what was going on in front of their eyes. I would say it’s a folie à plusieurs because it’s so common.

How does that old saying go? Oh, yes: “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

I believe that was first said by George Santayana. In fact, I’m sure.

wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_said_Those_who_ignore_history_are_bound_to_repeat_it

It is indeed a shame that people re-write history in their heads and then refuse to see what really happened.
 
I agree. And it is truly a shame that certain people refuse to see what was going on in front of their eyes. I would say it’s a folie à plusieurs because it’s so common.

How does that old saying go? Oh, yes: “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

I believe that was first said by George Santayana. In fact, I’m sure.

wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_said_Those_who_ignore_history_are_bound_to_repeat_it

It is indeed a shame that people re-write history in their heads and then refuse to see what really happened.
the idea is as old as the hills… the ancient greeks believed in a Golden Age degraded to a Silver Age, then Bronze, the Iron. so everyone is always looking down the halls of memory lane like that.
 
To Little Soldier -

Very sad that you insist on having it your way. As I wrote, I admired the Reverend King. I watched Walter Cronkite on TV. I knew what was going on in Selma Alabama. You insist on missing the rest of the country and instead focus on a few radicals.

The radicals that came after the KKK were far worse. Even the KKK were required to modify their silly masks and expose their faces. This country was moving in a positive direction until 1968 when Robert Kennedy and the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. were eliminated. When national anger over a senseless war in Southeast Asia reached a boiling point. What did Bobby Kennedy tell his supporters, and by extension, the nation, when he received the news that King had been shot? As Attorney General, he called to get King released from prison.

Oh the country was moving in the right direction spiritually and culturally when, in 1968, the radicals attacked its heart and soul. The decline began in earnest. The final stumbling blocks had been eliminated.

Peace,
Ed
 
Every day I wake up and I’ve got my life, my health, something to eat, something new to learn about the world, my friends, my lovers, my family…I know I’m living in the best of times. 👍
 
To Little Soldier -
Very sad that you insist on having it your way. As I wrote, I admired the Reverend King. I watched Walter Cronkite on TV. I knew what was going on in Selma Alabama. You insist on missing the rest of the country and instead focus on a few radicals.
This is not a board game where one insists on getting their own way and throwing the board across the room when that does not happen. A disrespectful country is not something I want. I wish that people in the 50s and 60s were respectful. It’s not my goal to try to change history. I’m trying to be accurate. And basing your claim that people were respectful on a few experiences you had is really very weak because some horrible things were going on in the U.S. during the 50s and 60s; a lot of them having to do with bigotry, racism, sexism, and sexual discrimination.

So you admired Martin Luther King Jr. So you watched Walter Cronkite. What does that have to do with the respect of a nation? Does your admiration of Rev. King mean that everyone in the U.S. admired him? And why do you keep saying that you knew what was going on? Here you are once again with the “I was there” as though that makes you an expert. But you didn’t remember “duck and cover” and accused another poster of making that up. But I remember “duck and cover” as it was very common.
The radicals that came after the KKK were far worse. Even the KKK were required to modify their silly masks and expose their faces. This country was moving in a positive direction until 1968 when Robert Kennedy and the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. were eliminated. When national anger over a senseless war in Southeast Asia reached a boiling point. What did Bobby Kennedy tell his supporters, and by extension, the nation, when he received the news that King had been shot? As Attorney General, he called to get King released from prison.
Were the people who belonged to the KKK more respectful when they lynched a black man while showing their faces? You admit there was a senseless war in Southeast Asia. I agree. Was the U.S. showing respect for their own soldiers or for the Asian people who lived in the war areas? I don’t think so. Was the U.S. government showing respect for the families of soldiers killed or maimed or abandoned? I don’t think so.

Did Robert Kennedy really call to have a dead man released from prison?
Oh the country was moving in the right direction spiritually and culturally when, in 1968, the radicals attacked its heart and soul. The decline began in earnest. The final stumbling blocks had been eliminated.
Peace,
Ed
According to you the country was moving in the right direction. I disagree. I think you have either forgotten how bad things were or you are trying your best to rationalize what actually happened. I’m too tired to fight with you tonight. I don’t want to have to bring up the Bay of Pigs incident again. But it seems like you’re turning this into some kind of game where you score points. It’s not a game.

And blaming it all on the “radicals :eek:” makes very little sense. It seems to me that you believe there was some sort of conspiracy that is still going on - something that involves “radicals” and scientists. There may very well be conspiracies but I doubt that reducing respect is one of them. And I know some “radicals” who are very respectful and want what is best for the U.S. and some scientists who believe in God and are trying to discover Truth. For everyone.
 
It seems to me that you believe there was some sort of conspiracy that is still going on - something that involves “radicals” and scientists.
Soldier, you have to realize that Ed is looking at the world through rose colored glasses that filter only things related to sexuality. I suppose, if you measure the world only through only that standard, and if you believe that the less sex people are collectively having, especially non-marital sex, the better, then he is ‘correct’. Sex is more popular, sexually explicit materials are more readily available, and people in general are more readily willing to participate in sexual actions that people 50 or 75 or 100 years ago were.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying even in those days gone by was our society that which Ed would like, as there was plenty of debauchery to be found then, too, just that it’s much more widespread today.

Personally, I find that to be a good thing, whereas Ed thinks we’re going to hell in a hand-basket.
 
Someone thinks Father Knows Best and shows like that were documentaries.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top