f someone simply blurted out to a Buddhist about the RC church requiring mass and left it at that, does the Buddhist now have “full knowledge” about the gravity of missing mass?
(Which would not be the same thing as saying that the Buddhist would now be on the hook for the grave sin of missing Mass, of course; but it would say that he has knowledge of the Catholic teaching on Mass.)
Did you ever consider that perhaps the Evangelicals had an easy time of convincing me because I didn’t have full knowledge?
You weren’t well catechized in the Catholic faith; yes, I’ll grant you that. But you’ve jumped the tracks again: ‘full knowledge’ (in the context of mortal sin) does not imply “of the entirety of Catholic faith”, which is what you seem to be implying here. It merely means that you fully know that this action is sinful – and, in fact, that it’s
gravely sinful – according to the teachings of the Catholic Church.
So, in the context of this example, full knowledge is a pretty simple thing: to say that you don’t have it, you would have to be asserting that you did not have a clear idea that missing Mass on Sunday was considered sinful by the Catholic Church. Could you say that as a youngster, growing up? Could you say that now? If not, then you have ‘full knowledge’ of the gravity of that sin.
Let’s just call my new confused belief “x.”
Perhaps you’ve just moved on to another topic, and I’m not picking up on it. However, it seems you’re still talking about ‘full knowledge’. If so, you’ve veered off the road again: you’ve gone from ‘full knowledge’ to ‘belief’. The question is not “do you
believe missing Mass is a grave sin?” but rather “do you
know that the Catholic Church teaches that missing Mass on Sundays and holy days is a grave sin?”
(In this context, that ‘belief’ you’re talking about is the operation of your conscience. It works something like this: intellectually, a Catholic has knowledge of the teaching of the Catholic Church on a particular matter; they have formed their conscience in a variety of ways throughout their life. Their conscience, then, tells them whether they
believe that this action is sinful. If their conscience is well-formed, then it believes what the Church teaches, and their conscience says, “yep – if I miss Mass on Sunday, that’s a grave sin!”
But, if their conscience is
not well-formed, they might say, “I don’t believe it’s really a grave sin to miss Mass this Sunday.” The reason for that faulty conclusion might vary – maybe it’s because they think the rule is stupid and they could just pray at home; maybe it’s because they’re missing it in order to go watch football. Whatever the reason, their conscience has informed them that it’s OK to miss Mass. All in all, the reason is immaterial to the objective consideration that missing Mass is gravely sinful; the reason is also a separate consideration from the subjective notion that he has deliberately intended to miss Mass!
Now, a person is obliged to follow their conscience. Yet, the Catholic Church says, when a person knows that their conscience is directing them to do something that the Church identifies as sinful, that person has the obligation to ‘fix’ their conscience – to re-form the deformation in their conscience. (This is just a long way of saying that a ‘confused belief’ certainly requires action on a Catholic’s part. But, the confused belief does not get a Catholic off the hook if there’s full knowledge. If there’s
confused knowledge, then that’s a different thing; but you were talking about
belief, not
knowledge, right?))
Can you really insist that I actually believe in Darwinian evolution but am just pretending not to believe it?
How could I possibly know what belief there is in your heart, other than knowing and trusting what you’ve written on these forums?
This is what it sounds like when you insist that I know that RC is true and purposely ignoring it.
Umm… have I said that? I don’t recall ever writing that.
Or, have you moved on to your notion of ‘self-deception’ here? As I’ve said, I don’t think you’re ‘deceiving yourself’, but rather, might be having a hard time getting over the emotional unwillingness to accept the faith, based on past experience. That’s a far cry from “purposely ignoring the truth of the Catholic faith”…