How often do you go to confession?

  • Thread starter Thread starter smichhertz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I go once a month now. I feel this is better for me than more often because it helps me to not sin for a longer period of time.
 
please forgive me…I do not mean to judge or sound sarcastic but I am honestly curious.

WHY more often during lent? Do you find that you sin more during lent?
Not a problem! I go more often as acts of heightened penance and purification leading up to Easter. My regular confessor thought it was cool idea. I don’t sin any more during Lent, and I admit that sometimes I have to grasp for something to confess. In those cases, I try to be the last person in line, and make it short and sweet.
 
Roman Catholic Doctrine Vs. The Doctrinal Teaching of the Word of God

Eternal life is a merited reward [1821, 2010]. - Roman Catholicism
Eternal life is the free gift of God (Romans 6:23)

No one can know if he will attain eternal life [1036, 2005] - Roman Catholicism
The believer can know that he has eternal life by the Word of God (1 John 5:13)

The Roman Catholic Church is necessary for salvation [846]. - Roman Catholicism
There is salvation in no one but the Lord Jesus Christ, “for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12)

Purgatory is necessary to atone for sin and clean the soul [1030-1031]. - Roman Catholicism
Purgatory does not exist. Jesus made purification for sins on the cross (Hebrews 1:3)

Mary was preserved from all stain of original sin from the first instant of her conception (the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception) [490-492].
Mary, a descendant of Adam, was born in sin (Psalm 51:5; Romans 5:12)

Mary is the Mother of the Church [963, 975]. - Roman Catholicism
Mary was the earthly mother of Jesus ( John 2:1)

The Magisterium is the authoritative teacher of the Church. [85-87]. - Roman Catholicism
The Holy Spirit is the authoritative teacher of the church (John 14:26; John 16:13, I John 2:27)

The pope, as the Bishop of Rome, is the successor of Peter [882, 936] - Roman Catholicism
Peter had no successor, nor was he a pope.

The pope is infallible in his authoritative teaching [891]. - Roman Catholicism
God alone is infallible (Numbers 23:19)

Scripture and Tradition together are the Word of God [81, 85, 97, 182]. - Roman Catholicism
Scripture is the Word of God (John 10:35, 2 Timothy 3:15-17, 2 Peter 1:20-21). Tradition is the words of men (Mark 7:1-13).

The sacrificial work of redemption is continually carried out through the Sacrifice of the Mass. [1364,1405, 1846]. - Roman Catholicism
The sacrificial work of redemption was finished when Christ gave His life for us on the cross (Ephesians 1:7, Hebrews 1:3).

God desires that consecrated bread and wine be worshiped as divine. [1378-1381] - Roman Catholicism
God forbids the worship of any object, even t hose intended to represent Him (Exodus 20:4-5, Isaiah 42:8)

Justification is lost through mortal sin [1033, 1855, 1874] - Roman Catholicism
Justification cannot be lost. Those whom God justifies will be saved from the wrath of God (Romans 5:8-9).

Justification is furthered by sacraments and good works [1212, 1392, 2010] - Roman Catholicism
Justification is the imputation of the perfect righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21). In Christ the believer has been made complete (Colossians 2:10).

Salvation is attained by cooperating with grace through faith, good works, and participation in the sacraments [183, 1129, 1815, 2002]. - Roman Catholicism
Salvation is attained by grace through faith apart from works (Ephesians 2:8-9). Good works are the result, not the cause, of salvation (Ephesians 2:10).

Mary, “the All-Holy,” lived a perfectly sinless life [411, 493]. - Roman Catholicism
Mary was a sinner; God alone is sinless (Luke 18:19, Romans 3:23, Revelation 15:4).

Mary was a virgin before, during, and after the birth of Christ [496-511]. - Roman Catholicism
Mary remained a virgin until after the birth of Jesus (Matthew 1:25). Later she had other children (Matthew 13:55-56, Psalm 69:8).

Each Sacrifice of the Mass appeases God’s wrath against sin [1371, 1414]. - Roman Catholicism
The once-for-all sacrifice of the cross fully appeased God’s wrath against sin. (Hebrews 10:12-18).

The Bishops, with the Pope, as their head, rule the universal church. [883, 894-896]. - Roman Catholicism
Christ, the head of the body is the Head of the Church. (Colossians 1:18).

The faithful receive the benefits of the cross in fullest measure through the Sacrifice of the Mass [1366, 1407]. - Roman Catholicism
Believers receive the benefits of the cross in fullest measure in Christ through faith (Ephesians 1:3-14).

God has exalted Mary in heavenly glory as Queen of Heaven and Earth [966]. She is to be praised with special devotion [971, 2675]. - Roman Catholicism
The name of the Lord is to be praised, for He alone is exalted above heaven and earth (Psalm 148:13). God commands, “You shall have no other gods before Me.” (Exodus 20:3).

Mary is the co-mediator to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions 9 968-970, 2677] - Roman Catholicism
Christ Jesus is the one mediator to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions (1 Timothy 2:5, John 14:13-14, 1 Peter 5:7).

Mary is the co-redeemer, for she participate with Christ in the painful act of redemption [618, 964, 968, 970]. - Roman Catholicism
Christ alone is the Redeemer, for He alone suffered and died for sin (1 Peter 1:18-19).

The sacrifice of the cross is perpetuated in the Sacrifice of the Mass [1323, 1382] - Roman Catholicism
The Sacrifice of the cross is finished (John 19:30).

Indulgences dispensed by the Church for acts of piety release sinners from temporal punishment [1471-1473]. - Roman Catholicism
Jesus releases believers from their sins by His blood. (Revelation 1:5).

The Magisterium has the right to define truth found only obscurely or implicitly in revelation. [66, 88, 2035, 2051]. - Roman Catholicism
No one has the right to go beyond what is written in Scripture (1 Corinthians 4:6, Proverbs 30:5-6).

Scripture and Tradition together are the Church’s supreme role of faith [80, 82]. - Roman Catholicism
Scripture is the church’s rule of faith (Mark 7:7-13, 2 Timothy 3:16-17).
 
Dannnng, the last time i went to confession was when i was first allowed to and i i think that was in 2005…
 
I’ve not had a face to face confession in a very long time. I have gone to communal services but they did not have private confession as part.

I did just go a few days ago, as part of a communal service where several priests heard confessions privately.
 
I had been going to Confession weekly for almost a year. I recently decided to receive the sacrament bi-weekly as I don’t sin very often. (I also have some land for sale … 😃 )
It occurred to me one day that, since I cannot identify my venial sins, I must be perfect. :cool:

Either that or I have trouble examining my conscience.
 
I go every time there is a retreat or an event where there are Confessions available. I haven’t been to my regular Confessor in a really long time, just because my schedule has gotten really crazy over the past few years, and I’ve been busy on Saturdays, which is normally when I would go to him.
 
I had been going to Confession weekly for almost a year. I recently decided to receive the sacrament bi-weekly as I don’t sin very often. (I also have some land for sale … 😃 )
It occurred to me one day that, since I cannot identify my venial sins, I must be perfect. :cool:

Either that or I have trouble examining my conscience.
I once went into Confession and confessed that I couldn’t think of anything to confess, so I was assigned to read the Sermon on the Mount every day for a week. :o
 
=MissRose73;7742931]I’ve not had a face to face confession in a very long time. I have gone to communal services but they did not have private confession as part.
I did just go a few days ago, as part of a communal service where several priests heard confessions privately.
A NECESSARY NOTE OF CLAIRIFICATION…

The Official position of the Universal CC is:

In order to be licit and VALID all Confessions [except TRUE DIRE Emergencies…war, ect.] MUST BE “One on One” private confessions.

Any confession of a communal nation not of EXTREME EMERGECY [not the whim of the priest] is NOT VALID and those sins still need to Confessed as well as can be recalled ASAP… Even in an emergcy a 'Normal One on One Confession is called for ASAP…

**Catechism of the CC: ****1484 **“Individual, integral confession and absolution remain the only ordinary way for the faithful to reconcile themselves with God and the Church, unless physical or moral impossibility excuses from this kind of confession.” There are profound reasons for this. Christ is at work in each of the sacraments. He personally addresses every sinner: “My son, your sins are forgiven.” He is the physician tending each one of the sick who need him to cure them. He raises them up and reintegrates them into fraternal communion. Personal confession is thus the form most expressive of reconciliation with God and with the Church

**1497 **Individual and integral confession of grave sins followed by absolution remains the only ordinary means of reconciliation with God and with the Church

1483 In case of grave necessity recourse may be had to a communal celebration of reconciliation with general confession and general absolution. Grave necessity of this sort can arise when there is imminent danger of death without sufficient time for the priest or priests to hear each penitent’s confession. Grave necessity can also exist when, given the number of penitents, there are not enough confessors to hear individual confessions properly in a reasonable time, so that the penitents through no fault of their own would be deprived of sacramental grace or Holy Communion for a long time. In this case, for the absolution to be valid the faithful must have the intention of individually confessing their grave sins in the time required. The diocesan bishop is the judge of whether or not the conditions required for general absolution exist. A large gathering of the faithful on the occasion of major feasts or pilgrimages does not constitute a case of grave necessity.

God Bless you!
Pat
 
I had been going to Confession weekly for almost a year. I recently decided to receive the sacrament bi-weekly as I don’t sin very often. (I also have some land for sale … 😃 )
It occurred to me one day that, since I cannot identify my venial sins, I must be perfect. :cool:

Either that or I have trouble examining my conscience.
Considering that you are having a hard time identifying even venial sins, I think you might really like this very Catholic book (Scepter publishing) called “Frequent Confession It’s Place in the Spiritual Life” by Benedict Baur.

The author says that “There are many souls so far advanced in virtue that it is practically impossible for them to commit even the smallest fully deliberate sin.”

He talks about sins of frailty (faults) and imperfections. He says that faults and the causes of imperfections (for e.g. inordinate attachments to our own interests, reluctance to make sacrifices, and many more) can be a matter for frequent confession. And that we must take a few or even just one of these faults making sure that our contrition is sincere and that our purpose of amendment is definite.

I am still striving to rid myself of sin so I am nowhere near this point but I hope to be one day.
 
Considering that you are having a hard time identifying even venial sins, I think you might really like this very Catholic book (Scepter publishing) called “Frequent Confession It’s Place in the Spiritual Life” by Benedict Baur.

The author says that “There are many souls so far advanced in virtue that it is practically impossible for them to commit even the smallest fully deliberate sin.”

He talks about sins of frailty (faults) and imperfections. He says that faults and the causes of imperfections (for e.g. inordinate attachments to our own interests, reluctance to make sacrifices, and many more) can be a matter for frequent confession. And that we must take a few or even just one of these faults making sure that our contrition is sincere and that our purpose of amendment is definite.

I am still striving to rid myself of sin so I am nowhere near this point but I hope to be one day.
Let us keep trying, always relying on our Lord, to be saintly! 🙂
 
Let us keep trying, always relying on our Lord, to be saintly! 🙂
Yes, I will keep trying and asking Jesus to help me.
Have you actually confessed anything that is not sin but just imperfections or faults? I am curious because I have heard some priests will tell you that these are not sins so they cannot give absolution.
 
Yes, I will keep trying and asking Jesus to help me.
Have you actually confessed anything that is not sin but just imperfections or faults? I am curious because I have heard some priests will tell you that these are not sins so they cannot give absolution.
That is correct. In order for the absolution to work on something, it needs at least one real sin. In the case of someone confessing only imperfections, that person could renew his sorrow for some previously confessed actual sin. For example, “I am sorry for all the sins of my past life, especially the time I murdered my mother.” Or, “especially for sins of .”

A lot of people here get their shorts in a wad about doing this, saying that somehow it casts doubt on the forgiveness one has received. I suppose there are some who rehash their sins for this reason, but if you’re not one of those people, this is a fine habit to get into. To renew one’s sorrow for a sin in confession is another opportunity to receive graces to avoid the sin.
 
That is correct. In order for the absolution to work on something, it needs at least one real sin. In the case of someone confessing only imperfections, that person could renew his sorrow for some previously confessed actual sin. For example, “I am sorry for all the sins of my past life, especially the time I murdered my mother.” Or, “especially for sins of .”

A lot of people here get their shorts in a wad about doing this, saying that somehow it casts doubt on the forgiveness one has received. I suppose there are some who rehash their sins for this reason, but if you’re not one of those people, this is a fine habit to get into. To renew one’s sorrow for a sin in confession is another opportunity to receive graces to avoid the sin.
Okay, this is a good way to do it then and you won’t have any doubts. I know the faults and imperfections would be forgiven anyways when we receive communion at mass but the whole purpose is to receive more graces so we can grow in holiness.
 
=onmyknees;7744224]Considering that you are having a hard time identifying even venial sins, I think you might really like this very Catholic book (Scepter publishing) called “Frequent Confession It’s Place in the Spiritual Life” by Benedict Baur.
The author says that “There are many souls so far advanced in virtue that it is practically impossible for them to commit even the smallest fully deliberate sin.”
He talks about sins of frailty (faults) and imperfections. He says that faults and the causes of imperfections (for e.g. inordinate attachments to our own interests, reluctance to make sacrifices, and many more) can be a matter for frequent confession. And that we must take a few or even just one of these faults making sure that our contrition is sincere and that our purpose of amendment is definite.
I am still striving to rid myself of sin so I am nowhere near this point but I hope to be one day.
I’m in the same boat with you friend. My Confessor suggested taking one particular week area at a time and try to errase it completely. In my case an old habbital practice of uttering cuss [not profane] words for the most assinine reasons keep popping up… be especially mindful of issues of charity in a strict sense.

So that’s whatn God and me are working on now:)

God Bless,
Pat
Pat
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top