How politically damaging were Biden's comments about closing down the oil industry?

• Thread starter Thread starter Maxirad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
One day the oil industry will go away. But it needs to be done organically and not through government fiat. We don’t have the technology to replace cars and trucks en masse with a non oil based alternative that’s actually better for the environment.

For general electricity production , we’ve had the technology for decades. Nuclear. But people are idiots and fear what they don’t understand and so no one wants to live near a nuclear power plant despite them being safer than hydro, coal, and natural gas combined.

Biden said a lot last night to hurt his campaign. This comment was a killer. I would bet there were some out there who had voted already wishing they could get their ballot back.
One day the oil industry will go away. But it needs to be done organically and not through government fiat. We don’t have the technology to replace cars and trucks en masse with a non oil based alternative that’s actually better for the environment.
I believe oil will be here forever. It is used for so much more than fuel for engines. I agree there may come a time it won’t be used for our regular cars & trucks but maybe not for other types of transportation.
For general electricity production , we’ve had the technology for decades. Nuclear. But people are idiots and fear what they don’t understand and so no one wants to live near a nuclear power plant despite them being safer than hydro, coal, and natural gas combined.
This I agree with. The safest way to power our country.

Last edited:
In some states, you can change your vote.

Last edited:
40.png
RhodesianSon:
Which is why early voting shouldn’t be a thing
Not going to argue that. Although I doubt any October surprise would change most people’s minds.
It doesn’t take “most people “. It takes a one or two point swing in many swing states.

You’re not wrong. I’m just a firm believer that if we’re going to have a thing called “Election Day” then we should hold the election on that day. Not the 6 weeks or more or whatever it is leading up to it.

It doesn’t take “most people “. It takes a one or two point swing in many swing states.
Yeah.

I have to admit that the fact that 52 million have already voted is mind blowing. I’ve always voted in person up until this election.
You’re not wrong. I’m just a firm believer that if we’re going to have a thing called “Election Day” then we should hold the election on that day. Not the 6 weeks or more or whatever it is leading up to it.
I don’t disagree.

Last edited:
I think the debates need to be moved earlier as a result.
I wonder if the debates actually do anything. It’s good to see the candidates in a situation they can’t control, but interviews are better, I think.

Every major polling outfit declared Clinton the debate’s victor the next day. But it didn’t make a difference: Trump went on to win the election. That’s because debates have only a negligible effect on voters’ candidate choice, according to new research from Harvard Business School. In fact, 72 percent of voters make up their minds more than two months before the election, often before candidates square off. And those who shift to a different candidate closer to the election don’t do it following TV debates.

I wonder if the debates actually do anything
I don’t think they do. Our politics are so partisan anymore I have real doubts about the existence of a significant amount of undecided voters, or of people who really go back and forth with any regularity.

People realize he meant this as a long term end goal decades down the road and not something he planned to accomplish entirely during his administration? The thing he said he’d work on this administration would be having the taxpayer paid oil subsidies redirected towards wind and solar.

…they may be statistically safer. But when something goes wrong there is a higher potential for environmental damage that last for a longer period of time. Death from radiation exposure can be a horrible thing.

Fear of particle accelerators is rooted in misunderstanding. But concerns on being close to a nuclear power plant are not without a foundation. Fukushima Daiichi is still not back at its pre-accident levels of radiation.

I don’t say this as an argument against nuclear. I say this because I can understand why some people may be averse to being close to a plant.

I wonder if the debates actually do anything. It’s good to see the candidates in a situation they can’t control, but interviews are better, I think.
The problem with interviews is the media is far more capable of imposing their political views. This was evident during the “dueling town halls”, where and ABC and Stephanopoulos treated Biden to a love fest, while NBC and Guthrie acted as adversaries on behalf of Biden

Last edited:
The problem with interviews is the media is far more capable of imposing their political views. This was evident during the “dueling town halls”, where and ABC and Stephanopoulos treated Biden to a love fest, while NBC and Guthrie acted as adversaries on behalf of Biden
Yes, but Trump is a regular on Fox. He almost has his own show. Anyone interested in an hour-long stream of consciousness from him could just tune in.

It’s hard to really understand a candidate. However, in the modern era with Twitter, Facebook, et al, the actual cable, print and broadcast media are bypassed and the candidates, in effect, “self publish”. You can’t get away from then and their surrogates.

Last edited:
How about a September or even August surprise? Voting starts earlier and goes beyond election right now.Why even have an Election Day…🤨

How about a September or even August surprise? Voting starts earlier and goes beyond election right now.
I assume that “beyond election night” is a reference to mail in ballots that may be delivered after election day. But I’m not sure what you mean by “earlier.”

The primaries ranged from February to August.
The conventions for both parties are 3/4 of the way through August (source)

Minnesota and South Dakota have the earliest in-person absentee voting start of 46 days before election day (source).

I looked at the 2016 election calendar, and South Dakota’s early voting then was also 46 days before the election (source).

How about a September or even August surprise? Voting starts earlier and goes beyond election right now.Why even have an Election Day…🤨
I see no problem with early voting. I see problems with adding new rules and regulations that lend themselves to more human error and votes not being counted.

Having Election Day is the same as Tax day. We can do them earlier, but the deadline is a set date. I do not like adding days after that to count votes, but I am not in charge.

I have a neighbor who is a partisan Democrat. Those were his own words, and that he never votes for republicans, unless there is no option, so he looks for the farthest left republican he can find in a republican area. He knew and has always stated, that he will vote for Biden, period. There be no changing his mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back