R
RainDust
Guest
Yes, it’s that question again. For some reasons, it seems there’s no single answer to it. Some people say you don’t have to be too specific, others think you have to disclose more details.
I must say this question is bringing me immense (and I really mean it, it’s causing me a lot of stress) sorrow. I am terrified of dying and ending up in hell, but I’m also terrified of confessing my sins. I haven’t confessed in a long time, and have been wondering if, for instance, it suffices to say “I’ve watched pornography” instead of saying “I’ve watched pornography involving X or Y” (that is, disclosing the type of pornography) and other stuff. It’s even worse since I cannot find any parish that hears anonymous confessions, all confessions available seem to be face to face. I’ve confessed face to face before, stating my sins in general terms, and the experience hasn’t been good. I think it’d be a lot worse if I were to be specific.
I have no doubt that if I confess to the priest I’ll go on feeling terrible for days and days, weeks and weeks, and the image will probably haunt me for the rest of my life. The embarrassment and fear are too much. However, I fear that if I don’t confess I’ll just go on thinking that I’m condemned to hell.
Right now I am terrified of hell. I do not want to be separated from God, and I do not want to suffer forever. But I also am terrified of confession. I’d like to hear some opinions.
I hate my life and (I hope this isn’t blasphemy!) I hate my faith. I’m a Catholic because I believe it is true, and I love God, but I really dislike living with my faith. I’m afraid and embarrassed. I’m afraid of confessing and having to deal with shame and terror from a horrible experience everyday. And I’m afraid of dying and going to hell.
I must say this question is bringing me immense (and I really mean it, it’s causing me a lot of stress) sorrow. I am terrified of dying and ending up in hell, but I’m also terrified of confessing my sins. I haven’t confessed in a long time, and have been wondering if, for instance, it suffices to say “I’ve watched pornography” instead of saying “I’ve watched pornography involving X or Y” (that is, disclosing the type of pornography) and other stuff. It’s even worse since I cannot find any parish that hears anonymous confessions, all confessions available seem to be face to face. I’ve confessed face to face before, stating my sins in general terms, and the experience hasn’t been good. I think it’d be a lot worse if I were to be specific.
I have no doubt that if I confess to the priest I’ll go on feeling terrible for days and days, weeks and weeks, and the image will probably haunt me for the rest of my life. The embarrassment and fear are too much. However, I fear that if I don’t confess I’ll just go on thinking that I’m condemned to hell.
Right now I am terrified of hell. I do not want to be separated from God, and I do not want to suffer forever. But I also am terrified of confession. I’d like to hear some opinions.
I hate my life and (I hope this isn’t blasphemy!) I hate my faith. I’m a Catholic because I believe it is true, and I love God, but I really dislike living with my faith. I’m afraid and embarrassed. I’m afraid of confessing and having to deal with shame and terror from a horrible experience everyday. And I’m afraid of dying and going to hell.