How To Read and Understand The Bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter aliciar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
NotWorthy
The Faith that the Catholic Church teaches is the Faith in Jesus’ Sacrifice. They go hand in hand. I can’t follow the Catholic Church and Her teachings and NOT follow Christ.
Why do people think these are inseparable?
Hi NotWorthy, I believe the confusion stems from always repeating the word “Catholic” which is not in the Bible. What you really mean is the Christian faith as they were called at Antioch. The Bible teaches how to be a Christian. Catholicism teaches how to be a Roman Catholic. Ed O.
 
You said Jerome’s Vulgate has been the official Catholic canon until Trent, 1000 years.
No, I said the Canon’s determined at Carthage, Hippo and the Synod of Rome all settled on the same Canon. That is the Canon that Trent happened to agree with.
Are you now saying Jerome did not follow the pope’s orders to "follow the Canon’s determined at Carthage, Hippo, and the Synod of Rome " when translating the Scriptures into Latin???

You can’t have it both ways.

Ginger
I do not want it both ways. Jerome’s Vulgate is the translation used by the Church for over 1000 years. The Canon that the Church used was determined by the Council’s of Hippo, Carthage, and the Synod of Rome (?) and were accepted by the Pope.
 
Hi NotWorthy, I believe the confusion stems from always repeating the word “Catholic” which is not in the Bible. What you really mean is the Christian faith as they were called at Antioch. The Bible teaches how to be a Christian. Catholicism teaches how to be a Roman Catholic. Ed O.
No, the term I meant is Catholic. The Universal Church was One, just as Jesus prayed for in John and Paul espoused in Ephesians. The Universal Church is the Catholic Church, the Bride of Christ. And what She teaches, She teaches in Union with Her Bridegroom, Jesus Christ.

Hence, Catholicism teaches how to be Christian. Period. I could not imagine following Christ and NOT following the teachings of the Christ. I can’t conceive of it.
 
Jerome’s Vulgate is the translation used by the Church for over 1000 years.
And then Trent declared a new canon that has been used from the past almost 500 years.

Meanwhile, Protestants used the same canon from the time of Jesus and before.

The Catholic Encyclopedia:
Protocanonical (protos, “first”) is a conventional word denoting those **sacred writings which have been always received by Christendom without dispute. **The protocanonical books of the Old Testament correspond with those of the Bible of the Hebrews, and the Old Testament as received by Protestants. [The deuterocanonical (deuteros, “second”) are those whose Scriptural character was contested in some quarters, but which long ago gained a secure footing in the Bible of the Catholic Church,[/color]
 
And then Trent declared a new canon that has been used from the past almost 500 years.

Meanwhile, Protestants used the same canon from the time of Jesus and before.

The Catholic Encyclopedia:
Protocanonical (protos, “first”) is a conventional word denoting those **sacred writings which have been always received by Christendom without dispute. ****The protocanonical books of the Old Testament **correspond with those of the Bible of the Hebrews, and the Old Testament as received by Protestants. [The deuterocanonical (deuteros, “second”) are those whose Scriptural character was contested in some quarters, but which long ago gained a secure footing in the Bible of the Catholic Church,[/COLOR]Dearest Ginger, I am looking at the Catholic Encylopedia and it doesn’t quite paint the same picture.
But while eminent scholars and theorists were thus depreciating the additional writings, the official attitude of the Latin Church
 
NotWorthy
On a side note: Yesterday, I was blessed to go to Confession. The joy I received when the priest says, “I absolve you of your sins in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit”… Those words are like music to my ears. And the counseling I got from Fr. Peter.
Ed, you have no idea what you are missing. As I dwell on that sacrament yesterday, your words seem like little more than the musings of a child.
Hi NotWorthy, you are bringing back to memory my 29 yrs of my being a Catholic. I remember how I dreaded to go to confession because of the sins that I’ve committed. I felt dirty inside. Yes! after the priest told me what I must do for penance and then gave me his absolution, WOW, I felt so relieved, later Communion and real close to God. That lasted for maybe a day or two. until I began to sin again, and again, and again and again, while doing so, I felt dirty, then dirtier, dirtier, then it was time to go to that dreaded confession again. For 29 yrs. the same cycle prevailed. You see! My sinful nature had CONTROL and kept me sinning and going to confession over and over again. In summary, the only time I felt good, just as you say, after the priest gave me his absolution, then Communion THAT WAS BEFORE! What I didn’t know then, according the Bible Rev 3:10, was that Jesus was standing at the door knocking and knocking wanting to come in and take CONTROL of my life. When I opened that door and called Him in and had Him save me as Rom 10:13 states, Jesus (not physically but His Spirit) came in and now I feel the Joy of His presence ALL THE TIME. Jesus’ indwelt Spirit now keeps me from sinning. I’m a new creation as 2Cor 5:17 states, “he becomes a new person inside.” My new (Christ) nature did a 180 degree turn-around. What I once liked to do, I now hate to do as Eph 5:5 states, no more, dirty stories, foul talk, coarse jokes etc… In summary: You have much Joy after the priest gives you his absolution,(I once felt that way too) while I have the Joy of Christ ALWAYS 24–7–365. Until you get to where I am now, you’ll never be able to understand what I’m talking about. That’s why you can’t understand a saved person. While you are going through the various steps to get saved, there’s a much easier way, do what the apostles taught the first century Christians to do. It’s in the Bible. I wouldn’t think of lying to you, I can assure you it works, it did for me. ED O.
 
Hi NotWorthy, you are bringing back to memory my 29 yrs of my being a Catholic. I remember how I dreaded to go to confession because of the sins that I’ve committed. I felt dirty inside. Yes! after the priest told me what I must do for penance and then gave me his absolution, WOW, I felt so relieved, later Communion and real close to God. That lasted for maybe a day or two. until I began to sin again, and again, and again and again, while doing so, I felt dirty, then dirtier, dirtier, then it was time to go to that dreaded confession again. For 29 yrs. the same cycle prevailed. You see! My sinful nature had CONTROL and kept me sinning and going to confession over and over again. In summary, the only time I felt good, just as you say, after the priest gave me his absolution, then Communion THAT WAS BEFORE! What I didn’t know then, according the Bible Rev 3:10, was that Jesus was standing at the door knocking and knocking wanting to come in and take CONTROL of my life. When I opened that door and called Him in and had Him save me as Rom 10:13 states, Jesus (not physically but His Spirit) came in and now I feel the Joy of His presence ALL THE TIME. Jesus’ indwelt Spirit now keeps me from sinning. I’m a new creation as 2Cor 5:17 states, “he becomes a new person inside.” My new (Christ) nature did a 180 degree turn-around. What I once liked to do, I now hate to do as Eph 5:5 states, no more, dirty stories, foul talk, coarse jokes etc… In summary: You have much Joy after the priest gives you his absolution,(I once felt that way too) while I have the Joy of Christ ALWAYS 24–7–365. Until you get to where I am now, you’ll never be able to understand what I’m talking about. That’s why you can’t understand a saved person. While you are going through the various steps to get saved,** there’s a much easier way, do what the apostles taught the first century Christians to do**. It’s in the Bible. I wouldn’t think of lying to you, I can assure you it works, it did for me. ED O.
First, your post brings great sadness. As I mentioned, I couldn’t conceive of leaving the Catholic Faith, for I know what that would mean. :eek: The Church that Christ Built! And so, to see someone willingly walk away from that Church, even if its out of misplaced understandings, is sad.

Second, the underlined statement is one of the funniest things you’ve written on this thread. I can see what the Apostles taught the first century Christians, just by picking up the Catechism.

For a Protestant to claim that this is not so is laughable and could only be based on sheer ignorance of the early Church.

So, in summary, your post was a whirlwind of emotions.

Good night, my brother!
 
Hi NotWorthy, you are bringing back to memory my 29 yrs of my being a Catholic. I remember how I dreaded to go to confession because of the sins that I’ve committed. I felt dirty inside. Yes! after the priest told me what I must do for penance and then gave me his absolution, WOW, I felt so relieved, later Communion and real close to God. That lasted for maybe a day or two. until I began to sin again, and again, and again and again, while doing so, I felt dirty, then dirtier, dirtier, then it was time to go to that dreaded confession again. For 29 yrs. the same cycle prevailed. You see! My sinful nature had CONTROL and kept me sinning and going to confession over and over again. In summary, the only time I felt good, just as you say, after the priest gave me his absolution, then Communion THAT WAS BEFORE! What I didn’t know then, according the Bible Rev 3:10, was that Jesus was standing at the door knocking and knocking wanting to come in and take CONTROL of my life. When I opened that door and called Him in and had Him save me as Rom 10:13 states, Jesus (not physically but His Spirit) came in and now I feel the Joy of His presence ALL THE TIME. Jesus’ indwelt Spirit now keeps me from sinning. I’m a new creation as 2Cor 5:17 states, “he becomes a new person inside.” My new (Christ) nature did a 180 degree turn-around. What I once liked to do, I now hate to do as Eph 5:5 states, no more, dirty stories, foul talk, coarse jokes etc… In summary: You have much Joy after the priest gives you his absolution,(I once felt that way too) while I have the Joy of Christ ALWAYS 24–7–365. Until you get to where I am now, you’ll never be able to understand what I’m talking about. That’s why you can’t understand a saved person. While you are going through the various steps to get saved, there’s a much easier way, do what the apostles taught the first century Christians to do. It’s in the Bible. I wouldn’t think of lying to you, I can assure you it works, it did for me. ED O.
The Catholic Church didn’t keep you from changing your sinful ways, Ed. Would you suggest to us that if you had NOT been born and raised Catholic, that your 29 years would’ve been different? …and that you would’ve avoided much of that sinful behavior you kept repeating? It’s not the Church’s fault that you didn’t know what true repentance was, that you didn’t attempt to deepen your relationship with Christ through prayer and the Eucharist. I’m frankly tired of hearing all the blame toward the Church for the failings of Her members to do their part in responding to the call of Christ. The Church is your scapegoat for your sinful years, Ed. Granted, sound catechesis seems to have been grossly lacking for you, but that’s not JUST the Church’s fault Ed. Catechesis takes the Church, the family, and YOU personally. If you can honestly tell us you did everything you could do for yourself, and that your family was there to support and guide you along the way…and despite all that, the Church kept you from having a “true relationship” with Christ, then maybe I’ll join you in blaming the Church for teaching you so poorly. But even then, that’s all it would be, Ed…poor Church catechesis, attributable to the failing of the persons charged with teaching you the faith. It would not be because the Church doesn’t know about Christ and how to have a true relationship. They’ve known the authentic means of that since Christ walked the earth. How much in that 29 years did you REALLY attempt to learn the Catholic faith, Ed? I mean, really learn it for yourself. I know they didn’t have Catholic Answers back then, Ed…but how many times did you read about the Saints, the Doctors of the Church, the Catechism? Or did the Church demand that you never read these things?..as I’m sure you’ll also blame them for demanding that you never read the Bible too.
 
NotWothy
First, your post brings great sadness. As I mentioned, I couldn’t conceive of leaving the Catholic Faith, for I know what that would mean. :eek: The Church that Christ Built! And so, to see someone willingly walk away from that Church, even if its out of misplaced understandings, is sad

So, in summary, your post was a whirlwind of emotions.
Good night, my brother
Hi NotWorthy, I’m sorry if I hit a bad nerve, sometimes the truth hurts. I never left the true Christian (you call Roman Catholic) church. It could very well be that you left the true Christian church and digressed to the Roman Catholic church. If Peter, Paul and the other apostles didn’t need indulgences, and five more sacramentsI etc. etc. etc. to get saved, then I don’t need them either. ED O.
 
I hope you will pardon me for having fun with your comments.
No problem. I’m quite used to the non-Catholic habit of piece-mealing written text, and stitching it all together in a way that suits whatever it is they want it to say.
40.png
Ginger2:
Salvation is centered around a single event - the cross of Christ.
Amen.
40.png
Ginger2:
And while some Protestants mistakenly thing OSAS is a free pass to sin, or a “Get Out of Hell Free” card, some Catholics also mistakenly think confession is a free pass to sin.
Again, I’m not talking about the minimalist self-proclaimed “Christian” here…this is not about OSAS being a teaching that can lead to erroneous concepts of “free sinning”. I fully understand the reality that that problem is a rarity, the exception and not the rule. I’m talking about the problems of OSAS teaching that salvation is a one-time past event, and how that teaching carries with it a diminishment of the significance and full understanding of sin. Some Catholic minimalists may see confession as a free sin pass, but they atleast are taught about the significance of sin, namely the avoidance of it, in their lives. But again, I’m not talking about the minimalist here. I’m talking your average Christian or better, who doesn’t see OSAS nor confession as “free sin passes”.
40.png
Ginger2:
And while a Catholic may avoid mortal sins like murder, he can also weigh the smaller sins against spending a little more time in purgatory and the benefit of avoiding the extra time thru penance and indulgences.
Again, the minimalist extreme…something I am not talking about in any of my posts. Shall I remind you that from the get, I was simply explaining the problem of OSAS only as it revolves around the erroneous teaching that salvation is a one-time event. YOU were the one who started in on this accusation that I claim it teaches the “free pass to sin” idea. That’s your idea, not mine. So, when you calm down and see that you’re fighting against your own strawman, and taking this sidebar of OSAS to a place I never took it, then perhaps we can discuss it more civilly…or perhaps just drop it.
40.png
Ginger2:
Catholic or Protestant, we can’t avoid the fact there will be some who misunderstand God’s grace, forgiveness and mercy.

As for my extreme examples, it makes no difference whether you steal $5 or $5000, it is still stealing and breaking the 8th commandment.

Protestants don’t rank ours sins. If you reject God, you are worthy of eternal condemnation even if you have never committed a personal sin.
:shrug:Again, nothing here related to what I’m talking about. You clearly have some sort of previous debate history with OSAS which you brought to this discussion, and it seems to have incapacitated your ability to read a couple simply worded posts and extract the limited scope of my comments.

Look…bottom line…you stated what you thought OSAS means…I’m telling you that you are alone in that definition of it. It’s not what any other Catholic or Protestant claims OSAS means…regardless of who coined the term. It’s about the (erroneous) teaching of a one-time salvation event, and the follow-on (erroneous) teaching that you can’t ever walk away from that event. That’s the scope of my comments…period.
 
I am trying to learn how to read and understand it. I used to read it like a normal book and started with Genesis. Now someone told me not to read it like that. Just open it up and read the first passages the page falls on. I would like to learn how to intepret the bible.
Please remember that, when studying Scripture, that the Bible was compiled by the Church; therefore, whatever the interpretation is, it should mirror that of the Church. I don’t care how one reads the Bible, but as long as it is understood as the Church’s book, that’s fine with me.

Also, you can read the main parts of the Bible within a year’s time. Please check out these books:

The Catholic One-Year Bible (Our Sunday Visitor)

The One Year Bible NLT, Catholic Edition (paperback), Tyndale Press

My Daily Catholic Bible: 20-Minute Daily Readings (Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition) (Paperback) by Paul Thigpen (Editor)

There are several more but these are my favorite. You can find them at Amazon, if need be. Using any of these books would be the way to go for your understanding of the Bible, in my opinion.
 
SteveGC
as I’m sure you’ll also blame them for demanding that you never read the Bible too./
Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. You bring up a good point. Did you know that the Bible was included in the index of forbidden books banned by pope Paul IV. The ban was lifted after the Vatican Council II in 1964. While I attended Catholic grade and some high school, we had no Bibles. I’m not an isolated case, I came from a very large family with cousins who were members in at least four different Catholic parishes all taught the same way. What makes things even more interesting, while Protestants read the Bible for 500 yrs. Now the Catholics became such great Bible scholars since 1964. By the way I never called you or any other Catholic asinine, it was the statement that NotWorthy made that I called asinine. ED O .
 
NotWorthy
No, the term I meant is Catholic. The Universal Church was One, just as Jesus prayed for in John and Paul espoused in Ephesians. The Universal Church is the Catholic Church, the Bride of Christ.
Hi NotWorthy, Do you know that what you call the Universal church teaches that a Muslim or a Jew can be saved without Christ. That’s what Universal means,it takes in everybody.---- Source: Our Sunday’s Visitor’s Catholic Encyclopedia p.863 ED O.
 
Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. You bring up a good point. Did you know that the Bible was included in the index of forbidden books banned by pope Paul IV. The ban was lifted after the Vatican Council II in 1964. While I attended Catholic grade and some high school, we had no Bibles. I’m not an isolated case, I came from a very large family with cousins who were members in at least four different Catholic parishes all taught the same way. What makes things even more interesting, while Protestants read the Bible for 500 yrs. Now the Catholics became such great Bible scholars since 1964. By the way I never called you or any other Catholic asinine, it was the statement that NotWorthy made that I called asinine. ED O .
I have no historical knowledge of this ban…so I’d appreciate a source for your claim. I do know that the Church has historically encouraged the laity to read the Bible, but has also discouraged (or perhaps banned) the reading of unauthorized and deliberately altered translations of it. I also know that any discouragement of reading Scripture has not been a prohibition from reading it all together, but rather an admonishment to take care to read it in light of the apostolic tradition and teaching that the Church possesses. To fail to do so can easily lead to a departure from the one true faith, as readers attempt to define their own doctrine and start their own mini-churches based on their personal interpretations outside the Church. We see where that has gotten us since those “500 years”.

I suppose in your 29 years as a Catholic you never realized that every three years you heard nearly the entire canon of Scripture from the readings during Mass…and received application guidance on those Scriptures during each homily? If you didn’t have Bibles in Catholic school, I don’t know what to tell you…other than perhaps there was an irrational fear that the students would not read it correctly due to an immature and yet-unrefined catechetical formation in the faith. Not that I fully agree with that type of precaution, but I do indeed agree that one needs to significantly and properly develop their authentic reading lenses before they approach Scripture under those lenses. The Church’s teachings properly illuminate Scripture, revealing its authentic messages…to read through Scripture without this adequate illumination is…well…reading in the dark.
 
No problem. I’m quite used to the non-Catholic habit of piece-mealing written text, and stitching it all together in a way that suits whatever it is they want it to say.
Apparently you do have a problem. You should pray about this. In this forum, I have been called a liar, an heretic, told I have a demon riding on my back, and those comments were not made in jest. I have also been told that I don’t really believe what I say I believe and had a snippets of my comments posted distorting what I’ve said. My response to the latter was to quote the post and show the comment in its context.

The difference here is I said directly following your quotes, that I was having some fun with them - unlike the Catholics who directly and falsely accuse me. 🤷

I’m sorry I hurt your feelings, but to make a false accusation toward all non-catholics is just as uncharitable as you must have found my poking fun at you.

That fact remains you made a blanket statement about what all Protestants teach, claiming you know for a fact because you used to be Protestant, and in the same breath deny you were taught it.
Look…bottom line…
If most Protestants understood OSAS the way you claim, most Protestants would not inconvenience themselves to witness for Christ nor avoid sinning, nor give money nor time to help the needy, and certainly not risk there lives as missionaries in anti-Christian countries.

Your claim does not fit the facts.

Ginger
 
Dearest Ginger, I am looking at the Catholic Encylopedia and it doesn’t quite paint the same picture.
I realize I used a Catholic source which is going to make my point. But it doesn’t change the fact even they admit
Protocanonical…sacred writings **which have been always received by Christendom without dispute. **…correspond with those of the Bible of the Hebrews, and the Old Testament as received by Protestants.

[The deuterocanonical …are those whose Scriptural character was contested in some quarters, but which long ago gained a secure footing in the Bible of the Catholic Church,[/COLOR]

This shows Protestants have the same canon from the time of Christ.

Ginger
 
I have no historical knowledge of this ban…so I’d appreciate a source for your claim.
It’s been a long time since I was Catholic, but it seems I was taught something about this.

What I remember is being told reading Scripture on your own can be dangerous because you can misunderstand. That much we should all agree the RC still teaches.

(Recently I was told by a Catholic that praying directly to God can be dangerous, too, because satan might intercept the prayers and that is why it is better to pray to Mary…but I digress)

It seems at Trent many books and authors were banned including **all **of Luther’s writings which would then be a ban on the German translation of Scriptures.

Since Luther translated the Bible into German so that the average German could read it for himself, it stands to reason the RC, in keeping Latin as the official language, was for a time, whether by ban or language barrier, preventing the common man from read the Holy Scriptures.

Ginger
 
Please remember that, when studying Scripture, that the Bible was compiled by the Church; therefore, whatever the interpretation is, it should mirror that of the Church.
I think you’ve got that backwards.

The churches traditions and teachings should mirror/reflect that of the Holy Bible which is the inspired Word of God.

Ginger
 
Apparently you do have a problem.
No, really…I don’t.
40.png
Ginger2:
You should pray about this.
I should indeed pray about lots of things. This isn’t one of them.
40.png
Ginger2:
In this forum, I have been called a liar, an heretic, told I have a demon riding on my back, and those comments were not made in jest.
You haven’t received any of that from me. Seems to me you might want to direct your rebuttals toward the individuals actually deserving of them.
40.png
Ginger2:
I have also been told that I don’t really believe what I say I believe and had a snippets of my comments posted distorting what I’ve said.
Not by me.
40.png
Ginger2:
My response to the latter was to quote the post and show the comment in its context.The difference here is I said directly following your quotes, that I was having some fun with them - unlike the Catholics who directly and falsely accuse me. 🤷
Again, no problem with you having fun…but I’m not the one doing any of these things you’re talking about here.
40.png
Ginger2:
I’m sorry I hurt your feelings,
thanks for the apology, but you didn’t
40.png
Ginger2:
but to make a false accusation toward all non-catholics is just as uncharitable as you must have found my poking fun at you.
all non-catholics? accusation? can you show me any of this I wrote?
40.png
Ginger2:
That fact remains you made a blanket statement about what all Protestants teach,
where did I make such a blanket statement about all protestants?
40.png
Ginger2:
claiming you know for a fact because you used to be Protestant,
didn’t say I knew for a fact
40.png
Ginger2:
and in the same breath deny you were taught it.
I didn’t contradict myself, nor deny something I previously affirmed. That’s what you cleverly made it look like though, by cutting and pasting. I clearly said that I wasn’t taught that I had a “free pass to sin”, as you sarcastically suggested (out of nowhere)…and then I said that what I was taught was what many (not all) non-Catholics are still taught to this day…that salvation is a one-time event (once saved), and that you cannot change your mind and lose it after that event (always saved). This is not a contradiction, because I affirmed that I was taught one thing, and I denied I was taught something entirely different. Not that either of us care anymore, but it’s all in post 162.
40.png
Ginger2:
If most Protestants understood OSAS the way you claim, most Protestants would not inconvenience themselves to witness for Christ nor avoid sinning, nor give money nor time to help the needy, and certainly not risk there lives as missionaries in anti-Christian countries.
]Again, the way I claim is not OSAS as a free sin pass…that’s what you somehow managed to make it look like I was saying.
40.png
Ginger2:
Your claim does not fit the facts.
What “facts” are those? Can I retrieve them from somewhere? Or are they your opinions and observations? …which is all I’m using in my statements…my own experiences. I don’t claim to know any “facts” about the behavior of all protestants. I know for a fact many saintly and noble non-Catholics who are taught the concepts of OSAS (in it’s true form, not the made-up “free sin pass” form). So, my comments about it are not directed toward all…just toward most that I know, and mostly about myself as a protestant…

I’m not saying that OSAS is an established teaching doctrine in protestant communities, but the underlying context of OSAS is taught…inasmuch as it relates to teaching one-time salvation event, and inability to walk or fall away. I’m not saying “most Protestants” as a result don’t bother witnessing for Christ or doing good works…I’m simply saying that, in my opinion and experience, being perceptive and knowledgeable about sinful behavior is not a characteristic most OSAS believers possess to a high degree. I know I didn’t, and I know many who still don’t.

I’m sure we’re nearing a point (probably already passed it) where it is good to wrap up this little sidebar and move on?
 
No, really…
Steve, go back and read your posts. You suggested I took your comments out of context to intentionally mislead, when in fact I posted that the quotes cited were done in jest.

You made an absolute claim of what is taught by Protestants with support in your Protestant background and then denied you were ever taught such a thing.

I pointed out the folly of your claim and you accused me of intentional distortions.

:rolleyes:

I agreed with you the Catholic definition of OSAS is a false doctrine. Then I showed you Biblical support for OSAS, as I defined it.

It is pointless for us to discuss a topic when you are talking about one thing and I am talking about something else.

When we are both speaking of the same thing, we agree. But you want me to acknowledge agreement in a false doctrine because it is what you want to think I believe…sorry, I can’t help you out by agreeing with false Catholic teachings.

Ginger
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top