Then you have to explain John 15, where Jesus admonished the Apostles to abide in Him. He who doesn’t abide in him will be pruned away and thrown into the fire. It seems like someone can lose their salvation.
I love this example!!!
First it talks about the saved:
15:1 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away,
“takes away” is a misleading translation. A better translation would be “lifts up”.
]If you understood about vineyards you would know that sometimes branches fall down in the mud and they won’t bare fruit. The vine keeper doesn’t cut them off and throw them away - one branch is much too valuable to him. Instead, he lifts it up, washes it off and reties it so that it can bare fruit.
and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.
that part is pretty much self-explanatory.
3 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
Jesus is talking about wanting the Apostles to bear fruit for the kingdom of God and explaining this cannot be done on their own , but only through God can they bear good fruit.
Now we see Jesus turn from discussing the Apostles to those who are not saved:
6 If anyone
does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.
7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. 9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.
There is nothing here that indicates the Apostles could lose their salvation but rather, this talks about how they can be successful in fulfilling their mission in Christ.
Ginger