Huge Beirut protest backs Syria

• Thread starter Thread starter Matt25
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
My son-in-law is Lebanese and his father still lives there. He said his father told him that the great majority of the protestors were Palestinians. He said that they fear that if the Syrians leave they will lose their power in Lebanon, which is not their country but they hold great power due to their numbers. According to his father most Lebanese, both Christian and Muslim, want the Palestinians to leave and go to either the West Bank or Gaza. His father said that if they paid each protestor $10 (American) it would have cost the Syrians about $5 million. Not much to the Syrian government but a hugh sum to the Palestinians who still mostly live in camps. I will trust the information I get from my son-in-law and his father about Lebanon more the the MSM.

40.png
Lance:
My son-in-law is Lebanese and his father still lives there. He said his father told him that the great majority of the protestors were Palestinians. He said that they fear that if the Syrians leave they will lose their power in Lebanon, which is not their country but they hold great power due to their numbers. According to his father most Lebanese, both Christian and Muslim, want the Palestinians to leave and go to either the West Bank or Gaza. His father said that if they paid each protestor $10 (American) it would have cost the Syrians about $5 million. Not much to the Syrian government but a hugh sum to the Palestinians who still mostly live in camps. I will trust the information I get from my son-in-law and his father about Lebanon more the the MSM.
As long as the Lebanese know this…

40.png
Lance:
I’m sorry, I’m a little slow on the up take today. I don’t understand your reply.
As long as the Lebanese people don’t fall for Syria’s trick and don’t fall for this phoney government they are trying to form. They need to keep the pressure up.

40.png
gilliam:
As long as the Lebanese people don’t fall for Syria’s trick and don’t fall for this phoney government they are trying to form. They need to keep the pressure up.
Exactly, and from what my so-in-laws father says they are not buying it. According to him the Lebanese want to live in peace and get on with their lives. Let’s pray that they get their wish.

**From the article: **
The Beirut rally was organised by Hezbollah
, a powerful political and military organisation of Shia Muslims, the largest religious minority in Lebanon. **

“organised by Hezbollah”…if that doesn’t set warning flags flying nothing will…

cheers.

quijote said:
**From the article: **

“organised by Hezbollah”…if that doesn’t set warning flags flying nothing will…

cheers.**

The significance of the march does not lie in its aims being right or wrong. It lies in its size. If huge numbers of people living in a country support one policy and huge numbers support its diametric opposite then that is important. Especially in a country that experienced a long and bloody civil war in recent years.

BTW what makes people think that demonstrating against a foreign occupation is the same as demonstrating in favour of democracy? The Nazi’s protested the French occupation of the Rhineland. The Nazi’s were no democrats.

40.png
Matt25:
The significance of the march does not lie in its aims being right or wrong. It lies in its size…
Not if people were coersed into attending or paid money to attend and bussed there, and you know that, so stop with the spin already.

40.png
gilliam:
Not if people were coersed into attending or paid money to attend and bussed there, and you know that, so stop with the spin already.
If

40.png
Matt25:
The significance of the march does not lie in its aims being right or wrong. It lies in its size. If huge numbers of people living in a country support one policy and huge numbers support its diametric opposite then that is important. Especially in a country that experienced a long and bloody civil war in recent years.
QUOTE]

It is important that a huge number of people marched in the Huzbollah supported demonstration…look for Lebanon to experience more long and bloody wars in comming years.

Cheers

40.png
quijote:
It is important that a huge number of people marched in the Huzbollah supported demonstration…look for Lebanon to experience more long and bloody wars in comming years.

Cheers
maybe, maybe not. That particular ball is in the hands of Hezbullah and the opposition. They don’t have that many disagreements between them, when push comes to shove (sorry Syria).

The Apologist said… *“The problem with dictatorships is entropy; a lot of energy is needed to keep people in line against their will and that task is frankly impossible.”*So says Sharansky and I would agree. Remember, though, that >one tyranny can be replaced with another pretty quickly, so even if we can collapse the Syrian influence there still needs to be a plan to hold off Hezbollah until civil rights and free electoral standards can be put in place.

*“So dictators cheat and create the illusion of omnipotence and a climate of fear to hustle people along. Dictatorships depend, as Cole says though he probably didn’t mean it that way, on “PT Barnum’s dictum that one is born every minute”. If the Syrian conventional troops are moved out of Lebanon, its hold will depend utterly on smoke and mirrors.”*And this is where Hezbollah takes over where Syria left off. Or Hezbollah provides the “conventional troops” in Syria’s stead. I’m curious if the recent Syrian/Iranian alliance might manifest itself in this way. What do you think?

from: belmontclub.blogspot.com/2005/03/forward-or-back-very-large.html

I do doubt the actual “Lebanese” portion of the pro-Syria rally from Tuesday. A lot of information about Tuesday’s rally is here. Read it, read it all, and you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back