N
Nmc
Guest
i’d go further and say its intrinsically evil.
Would it be a serious sin for a gay man to use a condom? After all, it’s not as if the condom would be interfering in a procreative act. The sex itself would undoubtedly be considered a sin by the Church, but would using a condom in that case make the sin worse?Because using a condom is a serious sin.
As Petra noted above, Pope Benedict had a more nuanced view:If a thief makes sure he leaves no finger prints is that a sin? Yes. Committing a sin in the safest way possible is not a virtue by any means.
Unbiased source, please.So false.
What makes you think I would use a definition of another poster? Then engage in false speculation by presuming I’m using that definition. The logic chain in these posts is abysmal.And is he using Nihilo’s definition of someone being “promiscuous” if they’ve had sex with more than one person in their life? If so…
That’s a wild analogy, sex is generally consensual, an act of the will by both parties.If a thief makes sure he leaves no finger prints is that a sin?
@Thorolfr I was actually surprised to realize the definition of “near occasion of sin” given in the Baltimore catechism. Which is: if you get in that situation, you are going to sin (meaning: the situation can be deterministic)!! Meaning, even a devout catholic can get “into a situation” where he hasn’t yet materially sinned, but he’s gotten himself into a place past the “point of no return”.Nmc:![]()
As Petra noted above, Pope Benedict had a more nuanced view:If a thief makes sure he leaves no finger prints is that a sin? Yes. Committing a sin in the safest way possible is not a virtue by any means.
There may be a basis in the case of some individuals, as perhaps when a male prostitute uses a condom, where this can be a first step in the direction of a moralization, a first assumption of responsibility, on the way toward recovering an awareness that not everything is allowed and that one cannot do whatever one wants.
You should have prefaced your statement with “in my opinion”. Instead, you stated it as fact. Please be careful with this. We have some readers here who believe what they read.What makes you think I would use a definition of another poster? Then engage in false speculation by presuming I’m using that definition. The logic chain in these posts is abysmal.
I’ve done more insane stunts on a motorbike than I care to admit. Plenty of them were life threatening and I was well aware of the risk. It’s a miracle I’m still alive. Praised be God.No, they just tell themselves that their actions won’t harm anyone else
Not for Catholics!!Why is this nonsense still around? There are many, totally fail-safe sexual methods.
Neither are you qualified to speak for Catholics!!That is their problem. But it is incorrect to say that the ONLY fail-safe sex is abstinence.You are not qualified to speak for everyone.
Chastity is not an arbitrary virtue.That’s not technically true to the non-religious.
All contraceptive methods have a failure rate. The only exception I know of is (for women) total hysterectomy and (for men) removal of the testicles so he can’t produce sperm. (And removal of the testicles sort of misses the point.)thistle:![]()
Why is this nonsense still around? There are many, totally fail-safe sexual methods.The only safe sex is abstaining.