Husband finds church boring

  • Thread starter Thread starter elibrownt627
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It may not be entertaining but it will give you some quiet time to read the bible, pray, and focus on God.
As a non-Catholic married to a Catholic, I attend mass with my wife every Sunday - if for no other reason than for the sake of “family unity.” While it’s not the most exciting hour of my week, I have to admit that I actually appreciate the quiet time to reflect and gather my thoughts.

As for attending adoration…I tried that once just to earn some “brownie points” with my wife. That was about as exciting as watching paint dry. Don’t think I’ll be doing that again anytime soon.
 
I’m the one who finds mass boring in our relationship! What worked for me:
  • attending mass at different parishes until I found a favorite.
  • getting to know our priest, so I care more about what he has to say
  • sitting closer to the front so I feel more connected to the priest during the homily
  • sitting closer to the front AND knowing the priest so I feel like I owe him my full attention while he’s talking even when it’s boring, similar to how I give my full attention to a friend even when her story is boring me to death
  • occasionally attending mass at a different parish for a change of scenery
  • babysitting for a friend and bringing their baby to mass with us (we don’t have kids of our own yet)
  • making our own rituals out of mass: we kiss during the sign of the peace, trying to harmonize during the hymns (he’s a great singer, I am not!)
  • discussing the mass afterward over breakfast (we discuss the homily, the church decor, the behavior of the children around us, the alterboy’s bellringing technique, etc.)
  • grinning at my husband during my “favorite part of mass” when the priest says “the mass is ended…” and the congregation says “Thanks be to god!” as if we’re SO thankful the mass is over. 😛
I don’t know if any of this will help you, but it’s certainly helped me be more engaged during mass!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top