Husband won't shake hands in church

  • Thread starter Thread starter Celeste88
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
BLB_Oregon:
If anyone needs evidence that Catholics are sometimes a little out of their trees, we have all provided it.
As much as I resemble that remark, you can come and wipe the coffee of my monitor, thank you very much. 😛
 
You have touched on a great pet peeve of mine. If I ever became Pope (won’t happen) my first act would be to get rid of the sign of peace.

Apart from liturgical issues, my primary reason for despising it (yes despise) is for germ reasons.

I have three ways I have been dealing with it.

My favorite trick is to hold my eight-month-old with both hands during the sign of peace and use that as an excuse not to shake anyones hand. That usually works but some people try to grab my hand anyway, or worse yet grab his. My wife has caught onto my trick however and sometimes she insists on hold him (for the same reason I think). I can’t wait to have a second child so we both have a baby to hold.

My other trick is to put hand sanitizer in his diaper bag and apply it to my hands before and after the sign of peace to my hands. It’s a bit akward but it does the trick.

My last choice is to wait till after communion and then go straight to the restroom to wash my hands and then reenter for the rest of mass.

As you can imagine, all of this distracts me from my prayers during mass. I have even entertained the thought of attending the approved Tridentine mass in our diocese where they don’t do the sign of peace.

I do have liturgical reasons to not like the sign of peace in the middle of the eucharistic prayer, but I defer to Rome on those matters. My biggest problem is all the disease spreading that goes on. It is akward not to shake hands whether you are the one who is sick or the one who is trying to avoid getting sick. As soon as you turn around to tell someone that you are sick or to offer them an alternative sign of peace (a wave works nice), they are already sticking their hand out for you to shake.

OK enough of my rant!
 
40.png
seabird3579:
aimee, you’re a wonderful mother, many of us would like apologize on behalf of all the other broken, germ-obsessed, self-centered people that just can’t bring themselves to shake the hand of another christian, let alone a handicapped child.
Please forgive them, “they know not what they do.”
Shame on you Seabird. It’s not your job to apologize for other people’s behavior during Mass :tsktsk:
 
I’m with you Pittsburgh Jeff- I can’t stand shaking the hands at church. My reasons are partially because of germs and partially because I just don’t like touching strangers. I don’t like pews that are open on the end or when I’m settled in my pew and some latecomer slides in next to me.

At the parish we belong to, it isn’t a problem because I know everybody. But when we’re on the road or going to the less-traditional-so-I-don’t-like-it church 6 blocks from our house, it gives me the eeby jeebies. Normally, I just push through the sign of peace but I can’t tell you how much I savored the time last winter when influenza was prevalent and our Archdiocese put a moratorium on handshaking.
 
40.png
pittsburghjeff:
As you can imagine, all of this distracts me from my prayers during mass. I have even entertained the thought of attending the approved Tridentine mass in our diocese where they don’t do the sign of peace.
I wondered when someone would mention this!

Just go to an indult Tridentine Mass, if you have one nearby. Technically, that rite has the Sign of Peace, but it is only exchanged verbally between the priest and the people, and then Mass continues. 👍
 
40.png
Lapsed:
As much as I resemble that remark, you can come and wipe the coffee of my monitor, thank you very much. 😛
Well, let’s hope the rest of the world sees the humor of us, too! 😃
Sorry about the monitor. Hope the spray didn’t go down into the keyboard, too.
40.png
fix:
Not to be picky, but in the OP it was not clear the person was refraining from the sign of peace. He was refraining from hand shaking.
Fair enough. But that’s allowed, too… so if anyone asks, she could say, “Actually, I checked it out and the sign of peace doesn’t need to be a handshake. I don’t know about you, but I did not know that. Anyway, Bob would rather nod and give his sign of peace verbally. If the bishops are okay with that, who am I to argue?”

At any rate, I hope she will be relieved that she doesn’t have to invent any more respiratory diseases for him. If people decide to form a prayer group for him, she’ll *really *be embarrassed. 😛

Another take-home message I’m getting from this thread. People have some very strong feelings about the sign of Peace. Of course, we naturally want to welcome all as we would welcome Christ. That is the whole point of the ritual. Hospitality would say that we fall over ourselves to accomodate others whenever we can. Whatever they want to do (or, more importantly, do not want to do), keep the peace and just go with it!

I mean, really, wouldn’t it be a shame if someone who is otherwise quite comfortable just where they are felt driven to go to a indult Mass because they couldn’t stand to be assaulted by our ritual of mutual hospitality? Oy, vey!
 
You don’t have to shake hands during the sign of peace! However…

I live in the south…where the shaking of hands happens on a daily basis. When I go to the grocery store and see friends that I haven’t seen in a long while (mostly hugs for the women…handshakes for the men)…my H shakes about ten to twenty hands a day during work. At our Parsh the handshaking during peace is way out of control…stretching is not warrented. I shake hands to my sides and front Period…some people are taking it too far…but it is in the southern culture.

If you are worried about germs…that is understandable…When I have a cold I skip this process…and that should be the least everyone should do! Hopefully contagious people are considerate…that goes for drinking the precious Blood of course also!

If your a germ freak know this…Germs do not live long outside the body at all…just minutes really. Instruct your children not to touch their mouths or their noses after shaking hands…of course they shouldn’t be during mass anyway…but in this Southern atmosphere…where it is considered Polite socially and we train our children to shake hands when meeting people at all times…I have explained this fact to them…
 
40.png
BLB_Oregon:
Another take-home message I’m getting from this thread. People have some very strong feelings about the sign of Peace. Of course, we naturally want to welcome all as we would welcome Christ. That is the whole point of the ritual. Hospitality would say that we fall over ourselves to accomodate others whenever we can. Whatever they want to do (or, more importantly, do not want to do), keep the peace and just go with it!
I know this may be off topic, but it as occured to me that perhaps the reason some Catholics dislike the exchange of peace is because it seems awkward to include in the mass and particularly at that point in the mass. I think I understand the significance,but I also think I understand why so many do not like it. It is optional for the priest to include it. How it is practiced should not be so regulated that someone gets offended because they would rather nod than shake a hand. That all these factors are out there should give us all reason to wonder if it is really helpful or more of a hinderance to proper worship?
I mean, really, wouldn’t it be a shame if someone who is otherwise quite comfortable just where they are felt driven to go to a indult Mass because they couldn’t stand to be assaulted by our ritual of mutual hospitality? Oy, vey!
This part of your post I fail to grasp. Why is the indult mass any less perfect than any other mass? Perhaps that folks seek it out should be a message that hand shaking should not be formalized into the mass?

Finally, I want to repeat what I said earlier that I would guess many of us shake hands, yet fail to properly focus on the rest of the mass. If I could vote I would vote that part be left out of the mass.
 
40.png
Celeste88:
My husband is non Catholic but goes to church with me every Sunday. When it comes to the peace exchange, he will only shake hands with me and no one else. I believe he is afraid of catching germs. This leaves me in an embarrassing situation and I tell people he has a cold (which is a lie most of the time). I don’t really know how to handle this…I told him he can wipe his hands afterwards with one of those antibacterial wipes but he still won’t budge. :whacky:
I also prefer not to shake hands in church. But, I do it anyways.
 
40.png
Celeste88:
My husband is non Catholic but goes to church with me every Sunday. When it comes to the peace exchange, he will only shake hands with me and no one else. I believe he is afraid of catching germs. This leaves me in an embarrassing situation and I tell people he has a cold (which is a lie most of the time). I don’t really know how to handle this…I told him he can wipe his hands afterwards with one of those antibacterial wipes but he still won’t budge. :whacky:
I encounter this alot at daily Mass. the elderly generally wont shake my hand, probablly because they are ill. some are just afraid of germs which I understand. A wave gesture can accomplish a sign of peace as well. The Priest does say some sign of peace, that doesnt really require a handshake. I personally prefer to shake.
 
I recently discovered that one of my coworkers attends Mass weekly, but has “boycotted” receiving the Eucharist since Vatican II in protest of shaking hands during the sign of peace.
 
40.png
fix:
This part of your post I fail to grasp. Why is the indult mass any less perfect than any other mass? Perhaps that folks seek it out should be a message that hand shaking should not be formalized into the mass?

Finally, I want to repeat what I said earlier that I would guess many of us shake hands, yet fail to properly focus on the rest of the mass. If I could vote I would vote that part be left out of the mass.
Oh, my comment on the indult Mass had nothing to do with its perfection. I meant to say that if the standard Mass is a good fit for somebody, it would be a bit of a shame if they felt they needed to choose the indult for no other reason than a lack of hospitality in the sign of Peace. In other words, I’d like to think people positively choose the indult because they are moved by the beauty of its entirety, rather than that they feel driven to it by a single isolated and unnecessary problem they might have with the other Mass.

As for the sign of peace, I have the other problem… I think it is a shame to go to Mass and not have the recognition that it is a communal event. Yes, it is distressing to think that those “Hey, good to see you!” exchanges might be ignoring the solemnity of a real-time experience of the Pascal Mystery (would anybody be thinking about clothes or their social life if they were on Calvary, on the road to Emmaus, or in the upper room at Pentecost?!?) It is also a little unsettling to run into something that comes across as the “Hey, I’m here to be with Jesus, so you can kindly stay clear, if you don’t mind” mindset. We can’t read hearts, but we’d like the ritual to stay on message.

That doesn’t mean there has to be a sign of Peace for a Mass to have a mindset that truly and solemnly recognizes that plain old Bob is not merely channelling Christ, but is himself a new man, a precious beloved of God, a member of the Body of Christ. It can be there merely by the way people regard you when your eyes meet. Still, I don’t find the sign of peace distracting at all. As we are entering into a communal meal, it seems absolutely right to lovingly greet Christ beside us, in whatever disguise we find Him. But I see your point. Abuses at the sign of peace might be very distracting.
 
40.png
vluvski:
I recently discovered that one of my coworkers attends Mass weekly, but has “boycotted” receiving the Eucharist since Vatican II in protest of shaking hands during the sign of peace.
:rolleyes: I really doubt that’s the real reason. Sounds more like he was just looking for an excuse, a lame one at that.
 
40.png
BLB_Oregon:
Oh, my comment on the indult Mass had nothing to do with its perfection. I meant to say that if the standard Mass is a good fit for somebody, it would be a bit of a shame if they felt they needed to choose the indult for no other reason than a lack of hospitality in the sign of Peace. In other words, I’d like to think people positively choose the indult because they are moved by the beauty of its entirety, rather than that they feel driven to it by a single isolated and unnecessary problem they might have with the other Mass.

As for the sign of peace, I have the other problem… I think it is a shame to go to Mass and not have the recognition that it is a communal event. Yes, it is distressing to think that those “Hey, good to see you!” exchanges might be ignoring the solemnity of a real-time experience of the Pascal Mystery (would anybody be thinking about clothes or their social life if they were on Calvary, on the road to Emmaus, or in the upper room at Pentecost?!?) It is also a little unsettling to run into something that comes across as the “Hey, I’m here to be with Jesus, so you can kindly stay clear, if you don’t mind” mindset. We can’t read hearts, but we’d like the ritual to stay on message.

That doesn’t mean there has to be a sign of Peace for a Mass to have a mindset that truly and solemnly recognizes that plain old Bob is not merely channelling Christ, but is himself a new man, a precious beloved of God, a member of the Body of Christ. It can be there merely by the way people regard you when your eyes meet. Still, I don’t find the sign of peace distracting at all. As we are entering into a communal meal, it seems absolutely right to lovingly greet Christ beside us, in whatever disguise we find Him. But I see your point. Abuses at the sign of peace might be very distracting.
I cannot simply dismiss your points as I think they have merit; however, do you not think it is interesting that we even have to have this discussion that basically dissects the mass and others intentions? Can we not say that there is some problem that goes deeper? I mean that we even debate what others are thinking, or how any of it relates to Christ kind of says to me there is a problem and that problem is partly we have a mass that is not well understood, prone to innovation and “abuse” and a good number are distressed to some degree.

The answer does not seem to be simply better education as there is confusion as to what education in this matter actually means as your definition of active and conscious participation may differ from someone else. I know I am off topic, I just want to try and convey shaking hands in the mass means much more to many folks then we really understand.
 
40.png
fix:
I cannot simply dismiss your points as I think they have merit; however, do you not think it is interesting that we even have to have this discussion that basically dissects the mass and others intentions? Can we not say that there is some problem that goes deeper? I mean that we even debate what others are thinking, or how any of it relates to Christ kind of says to me there is a problem and that problem is partly we have a mass that is not well understood, prone to innovation and “abuse” and a good number are distressed to some degree.

The answer does not seem to be simply better education as there is confusion as to what education in this matter actually means as your definition of active and conscious participation may differ from someone else. I know I am off topic, I just want to try and convey shaking hands in the mass means much more to many folks then we really understand.
We’re having the discussion, I think, because we thought we knew what it all meant and what other people were thinking, only to find out that people whose devotion we regard very highly have an entirely different experience!

You are right. The answer is not necessarily that we should be experiencing more or only that we need to learn more. As important as it is to foster an ongoing education and reflection on the Mass, Mass means more–rather, it *is *more–than what one person can possibly appreciate at the time. Otherwise, instead of people arriving late and leaving early, the depth of experience would be such that you’d have people passing out from the emotional exhaustion. It would be looking straight at the sun, times a thousand. Times ten thousand.

Isn’t what we actually experience to be expected, though? We go to Mass, members of one Body. I’m an ear, you’re an eye, another person is a mouth. We all bring something different. If we lose a sense of that, I could start wondering why everyone is acting as if they don’t hear a thing, you could wonder why we’re all so blind, the third person could wonder why only his lips are moving.

But if we keep in mind that Mass more to me than what I bring to it, we share in the intended sacrifice, in the intended redemptive nourishment and healing, through our joining with each other. With Christ as our head, we offer the Mass as one, and we are healed and fed as one.

Now, if the sign of peace deflects from our sense of that, rather than enhancing that or magnifying it, it may prove to be culturally inappropriate. I don’t know. I would hate to see it go, but if it were deleted, I would not be grabbing hands on my own. If Mass is going to be a shared event, a foretaste of Heaven, we have to have a willingness to submit to whatever form comes to us on any given occasion. As long as a Mass is licit, I’m willing to sacrifice what I would like for that which those with the responsibility have discerned that the Body needs.
 
Ever think that some of us just don’t like to touch others…?

I don’t shake hands, touch, hug or have any physical contact with other people if I can get away with it. It just makes me uncomfortable. I do the ‘slight bow’ routine unless its a very close friend or a member of my family. I don’t see a problem with it. 👍

On a side note…what the heck is wrong with the people who try to ‘snatch’ my hand for the our father. It ticks me off to no end when someone I don’t know tries to grab my hand when i’m praying (traditional folded hands)… :mad:
Actually, (answering this post from the past) that is technically assault.
 
Actually, (answering this post from the past) that is technically assault.
lol, did you just say someone trying to grab your hand for the ‘Our Father’ is “technically assault”?

Personally I think the whole, holding hands/arms out-stretched for the ‘Our Father’ is kind of self-absorbed more than anything… seems like a corny protestant thing to me.
 
Actually, (answering this post from the past) that is technically assault.
The “past” is definitely right… this thread is over 6 years old and the last time the OP was on the forum was 4 years ago. Members are requested not to resurrect old threads and on here, one that is 6 years old is ancient! Start a new thread the next time .🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top